Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in agreement with Luke on regressing somewhat to the spirit of the past. My thought is that some folks may be scared away by some of the detailed custom modified stuff some of the really skilled builders are doing. That seems to be a valid reason for having two classes.
Some of us with a love of working on bikes may feel intimidated by those with the hyper skills, thus the participation swings.

We're playing for monopoly money and the online camaraderie in these build-off's, right? I'd be hesitant to discourage any of the "really skilled builders" from participating, as their spectacular work really makes these build-off's special. I'm not a spit and polish guy, because I don't polish rust, but I don't do much more than careful assembly of what I think are cool parts. Those artisans amongst us who craft and engineer such unique bicycles should at least get the bragging rights that come with the most votes. Not everyone got a trophy where I grew up.

furyus

We're playing for monopoly money and the online camaraderie in these build-off's, right? I'd be hesitant to discourage any of the "really skilled builders" from participating, as their spectacular work really makes these build-off's special. I'm not a spit and polish guy, because I don't polish rust, but I don't do much more than careful assembly of what I think are cool parts. Those artisans amongst us who craft and engineer such unique bicycles should at least get the bragging rights that come with the most votes. Not everyone got a trophy where I grew up.

furyus
You are missing my point.
I’m not trying discourage any really skilled scratch custom builders from participating. I would like to see some of spit and polish folks as well as the doodad assembly folks, continue to participate.
Having the two pre-mentioned classes allows that to happen which ought to draw more entries. In no way does that grant everyone a trophy, the bike you build is ultimately your trophy.
This is a Rat Rod Bikes forum, everyone has their own definition of what a rat rod bike is.
I suppose this last comment is a No-No, but what I continue to see built are Restoration Bikes, Rat Rod Bikes and Custom/Kustom Bikes in the summer Build Off.
I’m good with a no frame modifications class and frame modifications class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in no matter what the rules are. I've got a cool frame, a pile of parts and a vision of what I want to build. I would build this bike regardless, but the build offs are great because you get to see what everyone else is creating and you get lots of good ideas from other peoples builds that you may not have thought of, and lots more creative input on your own bike since everyone is watching. If a handful of people end up voting for my bike at the end it's icing on the cake.

I really wanna get it on this again! Build offs were a good time!! Great part of my childhood too haha I have been searching Craigslist for a while now, seems like the old bikes dried up in my area :(

Hey Nick I just saw this post, I’ve got a pretty cool AMF frame and fork I could donate, I’ve built it up a few different ways and never been happy with it, it’s hanging from a hook in the ceiling right now , let me know
fb3df73a2f2d1e5f2fc5487ae41826f7.jpg
this is what it looked like before I stole the fork, wheels and rack for other projects

Hey Nick I just saw this post, I’ve got a pretty cool AMF frame and fork I could donate, I’ve built it up a few different ways and never been happy with it, it’s hanging from a hook in the ceiling right now , let me know
fb3df73a2f2d1e5f2fc5487ae41826f7.jpg
this is what it looked like before I stole the fork, wheels and rack for other projects

Thanks for the offer Joel! I’ll
Keep it on the back burner, keeping my eyes peeled for an old CWC like I used to have and regret selling. Even been looking for swap meets, seems like no more Dudley meets??

Thinking about going back to two classes again....frame mod and no frame mod.

Also considering extending it to 4 months and allowing more than one build entry.

:39::39::39::39:
Thinking about going back to two classes again....frame mod and no frame mod.

Also considering extending it to 4 months and allowing more than one build entry.

:39::39::39::39:
Rat Rod,
What's a frame mod? Just wondering where the line in the sand is drawn. I don't personally consider these frame mods while technically they might be...
Shaving brackets off
Adding braze ons
Drilling for internal cables
Cold setting frames
Spreading seat/chain stays or dimpling
Are any of the above considered enough of a frame mod as to put one in the Frame Mod class? Just curious.

Man, didn't mean to make things complicated. Just looking for clarification, I'll happily go by whatever rules are laid out. I'm not one to piss and moan about trivial things. Most important is friendly and fun, I'm the not the Dude that's going to rain on anybody's parade. Keep it stock frame and mod frame classes, that seems to be well recieved, at least on this thread it got a lot of positive input. I was over thinking things like I tend to do...

Man, didn't mean to make things complicated. Just looking for clarification, I'll happily go by whatever rules are laid out. I'm not one to piss and moan about trivial things. Most important is friendly and fun, I'm the not the Dude that's going to rain on anybody's parade. Keep it stock frame and mod frame classes, that seems to be well recieved, at least on this thread it got a lot of positive input. I was over thinking things like I tend to do...

You're not making things difficult. You just reminded me of all of the questions that folks tend to ask about the classes we had run in the past. I think it would be good to split them up by factory frame and scratch built frame. That way if someone wanted to make minor modifications to a factory frame it wouldn't be a big deal.

You're not making things difficult. You just reminded me of all of the questions that folks tend to ask about the classes we had run in the past. I think it would be good to split them up by factory frame and scratch built frame. That way if someone wanted to make minor modifications to a factory frame it wouldn't be a big deal.

Define "minor" :D :D Here is an old "factory frame" build.
Just messing with you Steve. I always thought the old rule of no welding mods was pretty simple for the first 8 or 9 build offs.

DSC02461.jpg

Latest posts

Back