Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a big issue is the limited performance of Tapatalk. So many folks use their phones exclusively to surf the net. So while Tapatalk does support forums it also lacks features that you can only get to with a laptop or thru your browser on your phone. Like voting... Personally I use both a laptop and a phone since we can post pictures directly with Tapatalk. But I can't stand the invasiveness of Facebook so I'm not on it much, unless I'm super bored, and looking for some anti-social media...

Carl.
I use my phone almost exclusively - android - without taptalk, when I log in on a laptop, I cant find anything. Dont use facebook for anything.

I have entered and backed out of 2 build off ( bathroom remodel and had some parts bikes stored outside that got ripped off by scrappers) have 2 bikes that have had some mock up. I say Im in, for now, but...Im becoming an unreliable builder :D

I use my phone almost exclusively - android - without taptalk, when I log in on a laptop, I cant find anything. Dont use facebook for anything.

I have entered and backed out of 2 build off ( bathroom remodel and had some parts bikes stored outside that got ripped off by scrappers) have 2 bikes that have had some mock up. I say Im in, for now, but...Im becoming an unreliable builder :D
I use Tapatalk for most of my posts and replies. Easy to post photos direct from phone or tablet. Facebook a guilty pleasure, lots of stuff there to sort thru.
We have remodel job started here as well, which may run into April. Should be freed up for bike work by May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New to me build-off bike candidate possibility, “Schwinn The World”.
d52e1e61c4b4bc9c8a641c19b5759864.jpg
9f313f23f170a26122e237096ee62e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about going back to two classes again....frame mod and no frame mod.

Also considering extending it to 4 months and allowing more than one build entry.

:39::39::39::39:

I like the sound of all of those possibilities.

I like 4 months but I feel 1 bike should be the limit here. Entries with not much more than spit and polish clog the ballots and it's hard to really put everything you've got into two builds. I know because my second build in the recent MBBO suffered from it. I just didn't put the same effort into it. I suppose I could rattlecan an off brand clunker and post it two weeks in and then put all my effort into a real build... but what good would that do other than guarantee the first spot in the voting poll? Upon further reflection... maybe 1 entry per class?

Carl.

On a different note... @MazdaFlyer that bike is sweeeet! Proof that you have so many likes on it already. Nice find.

I like 4 months but I feel 1 bike should be the limit here. Entries with not much more than spit and polish clog the ballots and it's hard to really put everything you've got into two builds. I know because my second build in the recent MBBO suffered from it. I just didn't put the same effort into it. I suppose I could rattlecan an off brand clunker and post it two weeks in and then put all my effort into a real build... but what good would that do other than guarantee the first spot in the voting poll? Upon further reflection... maybe 1 entry per class?

Carl.

On a different note... @MazdaFlyer that bike is sweeeet! Proof that you have so many likes on it already. Nice find.
"Entries with not much more than spit and polish clog the ballots and..."

Now that's a good idea for the Build Off Challenge Section. A Spit and Polish Challenge. I have a 62 double straight bar that wants some love, I need to get off my butt, hack up a cheesy lunger and polish it.

Thinking about going back to two classes again....frame mod and no frame mod.

Also considering extending it to 4 months and allowing more than one build entry.

:39::39::39::39:
:dance2:
That should be cool!

I like four months! That might make me reconsider not entering.
Would not be the same without you in it! Plus you need to show off them "Mullet fenders"!

I like the sound of all of those possibilities.
Me too!

Carl.
To some point you may be correct, but also there are some builders who "spit and polish" very well and build nice clean builds, I would love to see more of them!

Also I believe the recent focus on crazy modified/scratch builds may have hurt the quantity of entries in the last 5 years or so, it would be good to get back to those earlier participation numbers, and more vintage builds, I remember in RRBBO#08 you could not keep up with the new posts coming in and the hype levels were awesome!

I drove a 200km round trip yesterday to pick up a rear tire for my build, so you know I am bringing the hype!

:cool2:

You may even see me in both classes, even if one is only a spit, polish and assemble...

:dance2:

To some point you may be correct, but also there are some builders who "spit and polish" very well and build nice clean builds, I would love to see more of them!

Also I believe the recent focus on crazy modified/scratch builds may have hurt the quantity of entries in the last 5 years or so, it would be good to get back to those earlier participation numbers, and more vintage builds, I remember in RRBBO#08 you could not keep up with the new posts coming in and the hype levels were awesome!...
I’m in agreement with Luke on regressing somewhat to the spirit of the past. My thought is that some folks may be scared away by some of the detailed custom modified stuff some of the really skilled builders are doing. That seems to be a valid reason for having two classes.
Some of us with a love of working on bikes may feel intimidated by those with the hyper skills, thus the participation swings.

The Annual Summer Build Off almost seems like an institution in the Rat Rod Bikes community. Whether I participate or not I would hope it will continue. It does take a big commitment to start and finish a build in terms of effort, time and money.
I think there was more participation when there were the two classes, one for minimal frame modifications and one for scratch or anything goes. The final evaluation seemed a little less subjective that way.
Maybe the Facebook folks could be enticed to come over to the forum side of things to show their work.
My wife and I attended the North American Handmade Bicycle Show a few years ago... it’s a good bucket list item for bicycle aficionados. This is a stretch, but how cool would it be to have a bunch of Rat Rod Build Off Bikes displayed in a convention like setting or some sort of mass gathering. I realize the logistics and scheduling would be a major hurdle. But wouldn’t it be cool?

Ed, I like that idea! A custom bicycle builder's show for rat rod bikes. It could have a laid back vibe, which might attract more of our kin. I would work with others on the planning / execution of this event if there is interest.

We have to have it!!! Participation actually increased last year.
BO13 - 64 finishers out of 108 builds
BO12 - 48 finishers out of 77 builds
BO11 - 54 finishers out of 92 builds
BO10 - 87 finishers out of 138 builds
BO9 - 85 finishers out of 161 builds
And....a large number of 'first timers' too.
RaT oN~!

Well, I'm in for RRB BO #14 for sure. Am contemplating my first ever 'dimensional frame mod' as well. ;)

The length of the build off never really applies to Odd "Git er dun" Job. Mine are typically 30 days in length! :bigsmile:

And @Rat Rod , Steve, I try to post up RRB forum links as often as possible to try to drag those FB only dudes over to where the real action happens...
right here on the RRB forum! RaT oN~!

Latest posts

Back