Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suppose it's time to pen out the design. I have all the required tools..... View attachment 93592

My approach is a little different...

baloon bike.jpg

edit....I'm not locked down on the color scheme yet...

The short rear/ center should make it super easy to wheelie, even if it's a little less stable at speed.:thumbsup:

Are you going to extend the seat-mast above the top tube at all or are you going to take it away from the stand-over to get enough seatpost insertion?

Yours doesn't even appear to have a seat, so I believe it's you who should be concerned about the seat post insertion :doh:

TWO DAYS AND HOURS AWAY...I moved some stuff around in anticipation. The backyard Shade tree workbench is ready to go and trees are working on their canopies. The dogs get more outside time that way. Our code enforcer doesn’t like cluttered driveways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:39: What about using a bike that was started in another build off but not completed?

For WBO 2018 I started Quadruped but it didn’t get finished and it’s been just sitting there. I’d be basically starting over but with the frame already done.

Is that any different to starting with a factory built frame? o_O

Possibly changing to standard rear triangle and forks for two wheels instead of Quadrupeds four.

Thoughts?

Glen.
That is a harder one.
@Rat Rod ?

New to the Rat Rod Bike Forum, looking to start up in the Bike Build Off in Class 1.

Got my first part for my Build of Bike, will be using this Seat as a Plug / Buck for my Fibreglass Seat Pan.

Wanting to design a seat similar to the Blue Leather. Really like this colour combination of Blues, Silver and Black. Couple days before I start breaking it down and get started.

Not to sure on design or pattern yet.
50482d6827ce889e0d6ca8268c29aa8e.jpg
535486acb0cd27b078db9245ba088ab9.jpg
a7d90bba5279866bf0eaa2664239368e.jpg
1d684dce9e8deb2475a020a700f44a55.jpg
16a8c72f2f8bd11dc0ce9c87fd35661c.jpg
553432a31b141993315ccb2dd156d9c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

:39: What about using a bike that was started in another build off but not completed?

For WBO 2018 I started Quadruped but it didn’t get finished and it’s been just sitting there. I’d be basically starting over but with the frame already done.

Is that any different to starting with a factory built frame? o_O

Possibly changing to standard rear triangle and forks for two wheels instead of Quadrupeds four.

Thoughts?

Glen.

That is a harder one.
@Rat Rod ?

I thought it might be a bit of a worm can opener. :blush:

If it's too much of a stretch, I'll leave it and if I decide I really do want to enter the Build Off, I'll do something else.

I've had a pair of 100mm rims stored at my brothers place in Christchurch and he's going to send them up to me. I'll have to see what tyres are available for that size here in New Zealand before I commit myself to anything.

We'll see :rolleyes:

Glen.

I’ve been trying to be patient waiting for the start. Had a look at some images As inspiration. I really need to tear down my main donor to see what’s next but know that’s against the rules!

Thinking I might be aiming a little high at this point, but I’m keen to stretch my skill set.

I still haven't decided on which way to go with my build. All kinds of ideas in my head, but none really trips the trigger.
It will definitely have 2 wheels and a chain...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to be patient waiting for the start. Had a look at some images As inspiration. I really need to tear down my main donor to see what’s next but know that’s against the rules!

Thinking I might be aiming a little high at this point, but I’m keen to stretch my skill set.
Tearing down a donor bike to start a parts pile shouldn't be against the rules, HnP. After all, you're not 'building', you are just collecting / scavenging .

I guess I have four potential projects. A couple I have played around with, added some parts but really aren’t finished riders. One is as found but is rideable with a new set of tires it would get the DB hood treatment.
The last one is an original farm shed find from February. I hauled it home and it has sat in the garage untouched in anticipation of using it as a clean slate. The issue with it is I really don’t know what the condition is mechanically. I’m not sure what I’ll find at tear down. I suppose it is the biggest challenge. With the others I know what their issues are.
Anyway, ONE DAY + Hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a genuine concern about my build. It's not going to be rusty, or ratty. It will be based on a 1980 bike, but the plan is more custom than rat rod.
Will this still be OK?
To me this sounds fine. There is no rule about how ratty the build should be.
And afaik there is a general rule, that there should be no discussion about what defines a "rat rod". ;-)
But who am I to judge....

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

I have three bikes that I have been collecting parts for all winter. I'm going to have a delayed start or a limited start. There is still snow on the ground and it was 37F, now up to 41F today and its has been intermittently snowing all day with a brisk chilling wind. My shop is still drying out. I'm moving stuff around and spreading it on the shop floor to dry out. On Sunday I went on a 35 mile ride and it was 33F very windy and cloudy. It felt like riding up hill into the wind. It's an annual fundraiser to buy AEDs for rural UP areas. Bicycle, ride horses or walk, almost 300 people and I guess this was better weather than the last two years where it either rained or snowed. They always get 300 people no matter the weather. No such thing as bad weather, just bad cloths. They raised $37,000. I will be able to weld, thread, face, ream and assemble with old wheels to see how everything works. All three bikes need wheels built but I have crummy ones to try out. Painting will have to wait until it gets warm, dry windless patch, could be end of June.

Latest posts

Back