Rat-For-Now-CWC Hawthorne *DONE bobbed-drilled w/green tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this late 40's Hawthorne hanging around for too long and it is time to do something with it! I have had it for over a year- buying it at an estate sale for $3 out of their chicken coop... they didn't even know it was in there :lol: The last few bikes I've done have either been restorations or sandblasts/repaints so I wanted to do something different and keep one with a little rust :wink:

What I'm starting with:

DSC04114b.jpg

Quite a while back member "rms37" figured by the serial number and the cw symbol following it that it is around a 1948-1949 vintage.

DSC04119b.jpg

Light has seen better days...

DSC04118b.jpg

DSC04125b.jpg

yay025c.jpg

DSC04113b.jpg

Re: Rat-For-Now-CWC Hawthorne

I think you should turn the remains of the headlight
into something artistic. Put a bird's nest in it with a
fake bird perched inside.

Bill

hmm not sure about that :lol: might be going totally fender-less but most likely just a bobbed in the rear.

Had an old aftermarket chain guard that had some rust so I masked it off and painted to try and match the tires. Then I sanded the paint a little to look older.

DSC04250d.jpg

DSC04256d.jpg

bought a repro schwinn style springer fork... had to go through my washers and find a couple to make up for the headtube being a little too long :lol: but now it works great.

DSC04631ee.jpg

DSC04632ee.jpg

mounted up the tires- going to use these rims I got out off a donor bike... they have huge gauged spokes. :shock:

DSC04685.jpg

Now for the bobbed rear fender- I wanted a bobbed rear but something a little different but I am unsure if I saw someone else do this on RRB or I thought of it myself... I don't remember :oops: I remember member(s) drilling out chainguards and I think that is where I got the idea. If there is someone else that did it first thanks for the idea! I see so many things on here I forget where to put the credit sometimes if it is needed. Anywho here's the process I did:

The original fender in it's rough condition- didn't really like the look of it like this so i decided to cut away.

DSC04648gg.jpg

Took the front fender and made a cut line with a marker the same as the factory one.

DSC04651gg.jpg

cut... cut... cut...

gg.jpg

Equally measured and drilled some pilot holes for the large holes that would be coming next.

DSC04655gg.jpg

The larger holes... drill... drill... drill...

DSC04663gg.jpg

DSC04664gg.jpg

Mounted up:

DSC04665gg.jpg

DSC04672gg.jpg

Re: Rat-For-Now-CWC Hawthorne *new bobbed/drilled fender

That's gonna be nice, I really like the idea of holes in the rear fender!

super kool. to bad ya not doing this for the BO7. very sweet bike. now get back ta buildin.

Outlaw 8)

Wow awesome! :shock: Yeah I remember your stainless build now... probably where I originally got the idea, THANKS! :mrgreen: Your's is way more elaborate then mine and probably took way longer too... looks good on polished or rusted hahaha

Got it all together and it was warm enough so I rode it around town. Not sure about a couple things but pretty sure this is going to be the set up. I was unsure about what bars to use because I have a whole stack of them but I really like apes and I just think they are so darn comfortable to use. The "Rat-For-Now" was from not knowing if I would keep it rusty/crusty or mock it all up like this and take it all apart sandblast and then paint it... Gosh I'm not 100 percent but I think I'm keeping this one rusty... think it looks good that way :wink:

DSC04721ii.jpg

DSC04720ii.jpg

DSC04723ii.jpg

DSC04722ii.jpg

DSC04724ii.jpg

Latest posts

Back