Rat Bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Toys R Us to see one of these and they no longer carry them or the stingrays. I would like to try riding one. This ratrodding stuff is addicting.

We have a couple of the Stingrays and they are much harder for me to ride, especially stock. This frame is stretched more and is much more comfortable. And your right!!! THIS is addicting!!! :lol:

Try a banana seat and some apes on your stingray. Mine fits so much better and doesnt hurt my knees. Ive ridden about 50 miles now with no problems. I had to get a 27.2 seatpost and a shim to fit the frame and it is very comfortable now.

OK, I haven't really been working much on this but have put it together for a mock up.
This is the sprocket I will be using. I was thinking of not painting it to make it more of a focal point. The question is, should I leave it ratty or clean and polish
CIMG3046.jpg

This is a quick mock up with the skip tooth sprocket installed.
CIMG3061.jpg

CIMG3059.jpg

CIMG3063.jpg

I changed out the sprocket and added a chain so I could ride it a little tonight. I changed the sprocket on the back hub to the sprocket that came on the wheel that was original to the bike. It didn't fit, but after a little grinding and filing it fit. It is a little offset, so the chain now clears and the bike is good to go. I will have to cut and grind every other tooth off so the skip tooth chain works with the rear sprocket. I would never have thought to do that but you can't help but get great ideas and learn a lot by browsing this site. I also don't think that I will be running these pedals.
CIMG3064.jpg

CIMG3066.jpg

I have also decided to try some other tires. I just ordered a 24 x 3 from Nirve and have another 26" for the front. These are the Kenda Flames and I am not sure I like the flame tires on this bike. When I get the tires and get them on I will post some photos and see what you think. I also have another thought for the front end that I might try. If I do, I will post photos of that and see what you think.

"AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME" - Jeff Spicoli

Really unique frame, looks custom made. This came out great. Nice personal touches

now that you have done that to yours I am looking at mine and thinking how plain jane it is! I think i might try to softtail it, spring style backend solid seat, lower the stance, yea thats what I gotta do. Awesome job!!

I
Lavrente said:
now that you have done that to yours I am looking at mine and thinking how plain jane it is! I think i might try to softtail it, spring style backend solid seat, lower the stance, yea thats what I gotta do. Awesome job!!

That would be awsome. I am wanting to learn how to weld because I would have done that to mine!! I think that it would look awsome softtail with a 24 x 4 tire on the back and a solid seat! Do it. I can't wait to see it!!!

Just curious but what are those frames leaning against the wall off of? The red and silver one looks like a motorcycle frame but the tubing looks a bit thin dia. and the stubby little black one with the blue mount plate, is that for a minibike? What's the story brother man?

Later Travis

The red frame against the wall is the OCC Spider Web mini-chopper look alike. I bought it without forks, but have the wheels which are webbed also. The other frame is a mini-bike frame. Hope to get them built sometime.

Just a little update. I was waiting on new tires and some other small stuff. I mentioned before that I am going to run a skip tooth chain on this but the skip tooth rear cog that I had didn't work on the hub. So a skip tooth is born
CIMG1000.jpg

CIMG1002.jpg

CIMG1008.jpg

After seeing it done on here on other threads, I thought that I would give it a try. Grinding out every other tooth was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. The last picture with the chain is just for fun. It is going to take 1 chain and between 1/2 and 2/3 of another chain to reach.

Instead of running a 26 x 2.125 on the front, I am going to run matching 24 x 3's. The front springer needed to be widened to fit the Nirve between it. A longer bolt and some washers gives me plenty of room. I will shoot some better pictures when it is back on the bike.
CIMG1014.jpg

I also realized the wheels needed something, so I repainted the back wheel and mocked it up. I think this paint scheme is much better and the front wheel will be painted the same.
CIMG1012.jpg

CIMG1015.jpg

When I make some progress I will try and get some better pictures and update.

DUDE!! where did you get those pedals?! I love them... looking good, I am still trying to convince my wife to let me softtail her yellow one. She is really reluctant to let me do anything to it she likes it as is.

B

Some new pictures of progress: It's dark now when I get home from work so the pictures aren't the best!
As I said before in this thread, I have found this site full of great builders with awesome ideas. I have learned alot from this site and am constantly floored by what is done here. This is one idea that I have wanted to put on a bike since I saw Karfer do it in the last RRBO. It's a great idea and I hope it's ok "stealing" it :roll: With some of the talk recently that I have been reading about stealing ideas, I want to give credit where credit is due. Karfer did it first! And I loved the idea!!! This is a piece of skip tooth that I had left over.
CIMG3079.jpg

The front end is just mocked up. Still have some painting to do and final wrenching, but this is pretty much the final look,
CIMG3071.jpg

Lavrente said:
DUDE!! where did you get those pedals?! I love them...
Found the pedals on Ebay. Was searching for something different and they are.
CIMG3076.jpg

I have been thinking about handlebar grips and wanting to do something different. It's kind of unusual to see a skip tooth set up on a bike like this so I wanted it to kind of stand out. So I thought of a way to carry the chain idea to the handlebars. The skip tooth chain is so much heavier and thicker, it didn't want to bend and wrap around the handlebars. So I found some newer chain and formed grips with it. I drilled and tapped holes for set screws to hold them in place. I then degreased them and clear coated them. They actually feel great.
CIMG3075.jpg

CIMG3074.jpg

CIMG3073.jpg

CIMG3072.jpg

I will try to get some better pictures after I finish with the final paint of some of the front end pieces this weekend.

its all good to do what ya did as long as you dont come out saying u were the first to do it then its kool. heck someone else did a setup like that but i did it like that just wrapin it around the frame cause i thought it looked cool. and nice you used skip chain now thats class you might want to add a washer under that screw where it goes through the chain it looks close in the pic. oh and i think i was the first uy to grind every other tooth off to make a skip cog like that but again its all good. very very nice bike cant wait to see it with the fatties on there

Thanks Karfer. Your builds are an inspiration and love the ideas you have! As I said, the chain used as a brake strap just really stuck with me and I loved the look! I think it fits in on this bike. The screw in the chain for the grips is just big enough so that the chain won't come through. The chain wraps so tight that I really didn't need the screw to hold the chain on, just to keep the chain from twisting or moving up and down on the bars. I thought they would be rough, but when clear coated, their smooth and pretty comfortable. Thanks again and love your bikes and innovation!! :mrgreen:

jezusjonz said:
I admit I have never seen one of these frames till yours and I didnt like it at first.....BUT guess what I sure do NOW....excellent.job..making the new old and new again. Love all the changes.
Terry
I wasn't sure about this frame either, and I didn't like it set up from the factory. But it has grown on me and it is really comfortable to ride. Thanks!!

I don't doubt that Karfer figured out the diy skiptooth on his own, but I first saw that done at least 30 yrs ago. Kinda reminds me of all the "rusty old bike junk" :roll: I had to toss :x when my parents moved. :( Oh yeah, cool build! :wink:

Latest posts

Back