Rainier Racer almost, she's on wheels! 9/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rainier Racer: tank template and wheel set troubles 5/29

Just be sure to run a string from one dropout,around the head tube and back to the other dropout so you can measure each side at the seat tube and keep it straight.

Circa Cycles said:
Just be sure to run a string from one dropout,around the head tube and back to the other dropout so you can measure each side at the seat tube and keep it straight.

Yeah, the string method is covered near the bottom of the Sheldon page.

Oh,sorry.

kingfish254 said:
Ape Stanger said:
The only problem is the frame is going to have to spread quite a bit to fit the hub. Any suggestions/tricks?:

When in doubt trusty Sheldon Brown to the rescue.

Here is something I saw on Sheldon about using a 2x4 as leverage to widen/shorten/straighten the rear of a bike.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Thanks Kingfish! All sorts of bad ideas were running through my head. I had a very "duh" moment once I read the link and saw the diagram. I guess I was just too excited about my progress and the arrival of the wheels. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to try this out.

So I'm picking up another Worksman tomorrow morining. I felt I needed a parts bike. I don't know though, that metal plate they have welded in there is screaming to get holes drilled into it to mount a tank. If the seat post isn't stuck and there are no cracks in the frame I may just use my one frame change and drag out the paint stripper again.

boeingbike.jpg

...and look! The original hefty mortorcycle type wheels!

Re: Rainier Racer parts bike and possible frame change 6/1

There is a lot of coolness in your new Worksman. Their wheels are classic beasties!! Just keep in mind if you lace up your 3 speed you may have to drill some holes in the hub to accomadate them or if you need new spokes, then I think worksman rims require a fatter spoke.

kingfish254 said:
There is a lot of coolness in your new Worksman. Their wheels are classic beasties!! Just keep in mind if you lace up your 3 speed you may have to drill some holes in the hub to accomadate them or if you need new spokes, then I think worksman rims require a fatter spoke.
Thanks Kingfish,
I have not the chops to go drilling into the nexus hub yet. I have designs on makin one of these frames motorized and it will have the beefy worksman wheels. My build off bike will still get the three speed treatment, although the three speed wheelset might look cool on the black and white Typhoon:
photo21.jpg

Would one of your stick shifters work for this? If so do you have any left?

Just brought the new Worksman home. It was a Boeing shop bike. Threw a couple parts at it for fun. The seat post slid right out ha ha!
photo1.jpg

Lots of cool bikes, but whats up with ya build bike!!!!???? :shock: :p :mrgreen:

That Works,Man 8)
Looks tough as nails.

kingfish254 said:
Lots of cool bikes, but whats up with ya build bike!!!!???? :shock: :p :mrgreen:

I'm officially changing the frame to the red and yellow Worksman. My next move will be to bend it out to fit the 3 speed. Trying to wrangle up a stick shift that will be compatible with my hub.

Re: Rainier Racer official frame change 6/3

I saw this Schwinn ten speed stem in the basement yesterday and had to see it on the bike. It's looking faster:
photo2-1.jpg

I had a helper:
photo-1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: He's got good technique and incredible focus 8) 8) Won't be long 'til he has a build going on here :wink:

Now that is cute!!!!!
That could even be your new avatar.

Got a bit done today. Frame bending:
photo4-2.jpg

and now it's a three speed!
photo5-1.jpg

Tanks cut:
photo3-1.jpg

Now it's time to go pick up my helper from his friend's house. :D :D :D :D

kingfish254 said:
Now that is cute!!!!!
That could even be your new avatar.
Than you, but I can't take credit for his cute, that's all my wife!

Circa Cycles said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: He's got good technique and incredible focus 8) 8) Won't be long 'til he has a build going on here :wink:
Thanks. He loves "wrenching" as he calls it.

Re: Rainier Racer tank work and fitting the three speed

Hahaha!That's what I call it too!

Ape Stanger said:
Circa Cycles said:
Thanks. He loves "wrenching" as he calls it.

Dude, he's a natural!!!!!

Re: Rainier Racer tank work and fitting the three speed

Glad to see the 2x4 frame bender works. I have been pointing people to the Sheldon Brown pages on it, but first time I have seen it applied.

Is that oak or teak for you tank?

Latest posts

Back