Railroad Stuff/ BNSF/ all that?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heyslugger said:
That Santa fe middle coin is already half way to looking a little like a schwinn logo!

That's what I was thinking too.

Uh Oh, we have foamers on here, OK, just kidding. I am a Locomotive Engineer for BNSF in Denver, I run on the Front Range and Golden subdivisions and the South loop from Denver to La Junta, and Trinidad back to Denver. It is not as fun as it might seem, especially when the phone rings at any time because I am on call 24/7. It also cuts in to my bike time. Good company to work for, the pay is good, and the medical benefits are some of the best in the country. My wife became disabled 2 years ago and there is no way we could have survived the financial burden of medical bills incurred.

I used to be in to toy trains a lot but after working on the big ones, the toys just didnt do anything for me any more. I do enjoy seeing layouts and Standard Gauge Tinplate trains are my favorite whether old original or the new stuff. The new repro stuff runs 10 times better and costs a fraction of the price, kinda like the repop cruiser bikes.

What kind of railroad themed things can you really do to a bike anyway?

My current bike collection is at: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=677

I was asked what is a foamer? found this description on line

Excessively enthusiastic railfans are sometimes referred to pejoratively as foamers, especially by American rail workers, in reference to the joking notion that they foam at the mouth in their excitement over train operations.

dragnusa said:
Heres my tattoo I got in rememberance of my grandfather that pasted away this last year, He was a conductor for the Burlington Northern railroad. He ran from Brookfield MO to Quincy Ill and they lived a block from the railroad overpass in town and as kids we would go out in front of their house and wave to him as he was either going out or coming back in town. I live a block on the other side of the tracks from there and every time I hear the train whistle I think of him.
02170014361.jpg

Nice Tat

If there is a railroad themed build off from this, please let me know where the thread is, I would like to see some ideas. I tried a steam themed project a while back and just couldnt get it to work right, I can bolt stuff together but the design thing is beyond my ability. Now a days, I am more in to restoring older english bikes than doing any custom stuff but I do like to see the creativity.

At the BNSF, there was a guy who I used to work with in Richmond CA that was very wealthy. He just worked at the railroad for something to do. He owned Sonoma Train Town and many other properties. When the whole Orange County Choppers thing was really big, He contacted them to have a custom bike done. His idea was a railroad themed chopper that used a small diesel powered engine instead of the traditional v-twin. He wanted it done and was going to display it at his amusement park. The OCC guys blew him off and wanted nothing to do with it.

I would be interested in seeing some railroad themed bikes, I just dont see what a train and a bike would have in common. I do love to see steam locomotives fired up whether they are full size, or miniature live steamers.

johnp.smith said:
I would be interested in seeing some railroad themed bikes, I just dont see what a train and a bike would have in common.

I had always thought of building a railroad themed bike for riding rails-to-trails. Like you though I couldn't really picture it. Could be as simple as the paint like this one http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p471891

Sorry I don't have a picture but my dad just got a Lionel Steam Engine for $25 at an antique store, 027 1615 but it doesn't have the tender and it's missing the drive rods too.

heyslugger said:
flatflip said:
Here's a link to a ton of rail graffiti pics that I took.

http://photobucket.com/randomrailart

Nice shots! I love the Bayou Bandit! I saw few names I know in there too. I have some old Lords Crew friends from when I was living in CA. Thanks for sharing these.

Yea I love that Lords Crew. There's some I think is from "Klutch" (?). I shared it with some old school skateboarders from CA. They recognized his work right away. I took these pics in Louisiana.

It was raining all day today but still pretty nice out so we drove down to the Sandy river in Troutdale OR. As we were coming back through town my girlfriend saw an OPEN sign back through some trees and said, "lets go see what's open!" It was a train museum. I must have passed it 20 times over the years and never saw it. Here are a few photos! Sorry for the cheesy "Train pulling into the station tattoo pic. I no excuse for that one!

Mr. Heyslugger, looks like a nice little museum/depot you found there. Working for a railroad is no fun for me with the modern stuff but I do enjoy seeing Steam engines, vintage passenger equipment, and vintage memorabilia like what you found in the museum. Looks like you had a fun day.

The Age of Steam Roundhouse
This is almost beyond words if you love trains. Located in the heart of Amish country just outside of Sugarcreek Ohio. The Age of Steam Roundhouse. The very short story is a man by the name of Jerry Jacobson grows up in Akron Ohio and watches the last of the steam trains rumbling past near his home. A passion for them is born. Jerry grows up to buy and operate a short line rail road apparently very successfully. Jerry’s love of the history of trains and most of all steam starts him on a journey to amass a large collection of rolling stock, engines and all things railroad. The time comes to sell the short line but not the collection, but what to do with the collection. Why build a completely authentic to the period roundhouse of course 8) http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/index.html . I live about 20 miles from it and to see it is just amazing. This is NOT open to the public and I hope they do have an open house at some point in time but until then I will drive by and look. Oh yea the property is now fully fenced with 24 hour security
110107ageofsteam9.jpg

aos-aerial1.jpg

Latest posts

Back