RRBBO13 Rad Alert! - Ride video with homemade, custom soundtrack.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
99b3303e648713dec7cd18fd255a26e2.heic

De-whitening attempt #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the smell of char grilled forks in the morning.

The de-whitening worked a little. Too spotty though and a different shade of off white so I had to scrub through a layer or two of paint. It’s not a perfect match, but it might have to do.

Here are some “uh-oh, this doesn’t fit” moments where I had to make some adjustments.

First, the headset cups were a hair too small...
e77531d622602c6ccf8b386cc1db94ba.heic

Then the headset locknut’s diameter was too small...
e5a9d9537d6ce03db94992a07618f441.heic

I have grinded down spokes,when they are a tad over. You can sand them lightly around the top,the spoke will thread off.
Great work going on,waiting to see the end product.

So, I started thinking that maybe I would use the original forks from the bike since I don’t like the way the white forks mis-match the “white” on the frame
75b84ed78f2bbbb9dbf519fee9c596d6.heic

I’ll have to deal with two shades of white.

Ugh!! Restoring old parts and making them useful again can be rewarding, but it is also sometimes emotionally draining. The treads on this hub are not in good shape, and I’m having a difficult time getting the nuts on and off. Lots of wire brushing and wd-40. It may not work.

So, I started thinking that maybe I would use the original forks from the bike since I don’t like the way the white forks mis-match the “white” on the frame
75b84ed78f2bbbb9dbf519fee9c596d6.heic

I’ll have to deal with two shades of white.

Those fork legs sure do look bent up and maybe even bulging from ice inside at some point.

137ea696d30013ad0f20b9d43db446d9.jpg

Sort of crusty “before” pic. Not in too bad if shape to begin, but I’m not sure how much better I will get the sprocket to look; it’s pretty pitted.

Calling BLO experts: apply to frame before or after decals/stickers? Do stickers stick to linseed oil-treated metal?

Calling BLO experts: apply to frame before or after decals/stickers? Do stickers stick to linseed oil-treated metal?

I don't think they'll stick to the oil immediately, I had setback on the road for 2 weeks after oil before I put stickers on.

Latest posts

Back