Questions about selling on RRB

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by horsefarmer, Jan 19, 2016.

1. pick

pick

I have dealt with at least 50 members on this site. The only time I got burned it was our buddy Black Crown Tattoo. I had another incident with a fine upstanding member here. Was having trouble getting him to return pm's. When he finally responded, I learned that he was going through a divorce that was a total surprise/shock to him. I understand that kind of problem. I'm not going to mention his name because he made it right as soon as he was able. It was for a tricycle that was for my grand daughter. He offered me a refund but I refused. I just asked him to ship when things settled down & he did. He even sweetened the deal & sent another trike with it. I am sure the shipping ate up any profit he would have made.

Anyway, before you do anything crazy, give the guy an opportunity to tell his side of the story. The member I was dealing with worked his way through it & left me satisfied. I have since dealt with him a few times with no problems. I'm just glad he got his life in order & appears to be in good spirits. He had no intention of ripping anyone off. Sometimes life just gets in the way. He is a great guy & I have no hard feelings toward him at all.

2. blwnmny

blwnmny

This is always a possibility.

horsefarmer and LukeTheJoker like this.
  3. Falstaff

Falstaff

Yea, I've dealt with good people who had unforseen issues but it always works out. Never any issues with people here or deals I've made, but sometimes you never know when things might go south.

horsefarmer likes this.
  4. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

FWIW, I think i know who this post is about; i recently ordered a part on RRB, and it took a loooooooooooong time to arrive, but it did get to me in good shape--eventually. (Like, 5 weeks or so...) I'm not mad, but i guess i would've been if I'd needed the part ASAP, right?

I know that, personally, i have stuff to sell, but part of why i don't is b/c i know i don't have a lot of time to ship stuff. I post a lot b/c i can post from work, and work can sometimes be pretty boring... but not boring enough for me to box stuff up and drop it at the Post Office. I guess it'd be a nice practice if sellers who are really busy could post a caveat about that in their ad, such as "I sometimes take a while to ship, but i WILL ship your item(s) as soon as I'm able." Or "please allow between two and twenty weeks for shipping." :shake:

5. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

"please allow between two and twenty weeks for shipping." - wow if that much time went by I'd forget I even bought it! :confused:
    I wanted to add that I notice on some for sale ads that buyers post to the thread when they receive an item - kind of a nice touch. :)

LukeTheJoker, rrtbike and Bicycle808 like this.
  6. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

I was being sarcastic with the twenty weeks thing. I don't get stressed til it comes up on a month.

horsefarmer likes this.
  7. Squiggle Dog

Squiggle Dog

I had a similar issue with someone on The CABE. He was restoring something and is a top name in the bicycle hobby. Well-loved. I paid up front, and after about a week, he said it was finished and would ship it out the next day. Cool. About two weeks later, I contacted him to see if he shipped it. Nope, said he was busy, would ship it the next day. Another week went by, and he said he hadn't shipped it. Then he stopped responding. Then he would respond maybe a week later and say that he promised he would ship it the next day. Then he would be unresponsive. This went on for months! Yet he would post ads of things he had for sale (like complete bicycles), but couldn't find the time to ship my dang seat.

Finally, I called him out on the The CABE (it's all been deleted by a moderator, that tells you the power the guy holds). It unleashed a firestorm against me when all his buddies came to his defense, calling me a loser and a whiner. It was unreal. The nice ones said, "Just give him time, he will come through eventually." Well, I paid months ago and I didn't have time for "eventually". And it was the fact that I was told the seat was finished and already shipped, yet months later I had nothing that bothered me. Then they would justify waiting months for a seat because they had waited years for a paint job, and "nothing comes fast in the restoration world, people these days have no patience, they want it now, now, now!"

People's lack of urgency really bothers me. Well, it turns out that this guy actually had made a mistake and used the wrong stamp or something, so he had to redo the seat. He was just covering his mistake and didn't feel like it was a priority to send it out. He complained about the extra time it took to redo it, but he was "being nice and not charging me extra". Then he claimed that the seat was more difficult to do because I specified vinyl instead of leather, like that is so unusual (most of the old seats were vinyl--leather was an "upgrade" usually reserved for top tier bikes). He claimed "satisfaction guaranteed", but after the chrome started rusting, I didn't feel like dealing with him anymore.

I'd mention his name, but then your thread (or at least this post) would probably get deleted.

I had a similar issue also with a guy I paid to refurbish my violin. Months went by after he said it was done, and every day I'd call to pick it up (like 60 times), he would come up with an excuse like, "No, I'm sick today" or "I promised I would spend time with my daughter today" or "I am doing floral deliveries". It turned out he had started working on it, cracked the scroll, and then put it on the back-burner.

Finally I got nasty with him and almost had to get the police involved. When I got to his shop, he had glued the cracked scroll (which is a total rookie mistake) and I watched him hurriedly throw the violin back together. Hadn't even polished it because he thought the finish "wouldn't take the polish". When I got home, I realized he had broken the latch for the case and had lost the blanket that goes inside. I called him to see if he still had the blanket. The response was always "I'll see if it's around here somewhere" and then he would never call back. I went to him because he was supposedly a "top name" and well-respected.

And then there was a guy in California named pitbullchuey who sold me a frame and never sent it. Always some excuse about his truck, or work, or relationship issues. Then I found out he had ripped off several other people.

There really is no excuse. Tough times happen to all of us. Those of us with real problems (like a family member dying of cancer [as in my case] and not having transportation [I would ride miles on my bicycle carrying packages if it came down to it]) can spend a few minutes making sure things get shipped. Procrastinators need to learn that they won't be tolerated. Their problems are no one else's concern.

I really hope you get your part soon. Stuff like this burns me up.

LukeTheJoker and horsefarmer like this.
  8. The Black Monark

The Black Monark

wasn't me! :thumbsup:

9. Squiggle Dog

Squiggle Dog

Nope. So that's one clue, using the process of elimination.

10. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

I can personally testify about the advantage of PayPal protection. This happened to me once here (the seller has since been moved to the naughty list). I turned it over to PayPal and they refunded my money.

11. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

To me the thing comes down to treating others the way you want to be treated.
    [​IMG]
    How many times you wait for that perfect dodad to come in the mail for your project. Remember that feeling and get your sold and paid for dodad boxed up and off in the mail to its new owner!

12. Falstaff

Falstaff

So did you get a tracking number or refund?

13. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

No. I have observed the seller on this site at least 3 times today and no message from him. In the interest of preventing anyone else going thru this I'm identifying the seller - largek9.
    I have been offered help from fellow members of RRB and if anything changes I will add to the thread.

Pookie42, Falstaff and Pedal_junky like this.
  14. blwnmny

blwnmny

I have purchased off of him, it took awhile, but he did come through. He did follow through for me, and I hope it all works out for the both of you too. Please keep us in the loop if you don't mind doing so,members should be aware.

15. deven_science

deven_science

I was probably burned the biggest by old Black Crown Tattoo, out four hundred bucks. Now I ALWAYS Paypal for "goods and services." As others have said, I'll add the 3% if they ask, or if I know it's a rock bottom price. Otherwise, I assume you factored that in your asking price, as I do.

16. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

OK. Another question for the group, how do you handle feedback for a long drawn out transaction (I'm thinking over 2 weeks) - positive, neutral or negative?

17. blwnmny

blwnmny

I was burned once, a few years ago on The Cabe by a member, and if I told you the whole story your mouth would drop! It was a complete bike, never got it, and never will, My wife get's upset at me when I ever bring up the subject time to time because I start getting mad all over again. I know it's only money, but I work dang hard for it! You just don't do that to people, it's flat out wrong!

Rat Rod, BARTO and Falstaff like this.
  18. blwnmny

blwnmny

Now see what you went and did.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!! :grin:

19. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

[​IMG]

That's just what nobody wants to happen, Our hobby should be fun!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  20. Falstaff

Falstaff

In this case farmer I'd leave negative feedback.
    The rest depends on the situation, I had a trade deal a while ago where the person I was dealing with took time to ship my item after I sent theirs but it was due to an unforseen circumstance. I worked with the person and got my item and they got positive feedback from me. It just depends on what your gut tells you.