Question does the rideable rule = must be able to pedal ? Please help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I want to enter a bike in the build off I have all the proper photos ect. The bike will have pedals & is 90% bicycle parts .It will be ride able as the rules state but you will not be able to pedal the bike even though it will have bike pedals any help/ clairification to the ride able rule would be appericiated . Thanks

Yeah I believe in being all inclusive but...
Pedal scraping lowriders aren't rats and they are kinda dated in a nonrat way.
Please tell me you're not talking about a lowrider.

Carl.

Hey, I've seen a ratty rust rod low rider on here before, but I suspect this is about a motor build. There is no rule that states that entries must meet anyone's definition of a "rat rod". I tend to agree with the "must be able to ride under pedal power" view.

Hey, I've seen a ratty rust rod low rider on here before, but I suspect this is about a motor build. There is no rule that states that entries must meet anyone's definition of a "rat rod". I tend to agree with the "must be able to ride under pedal power" view.
Oh I've seen some nice burritos and lowriders here too. but if you can't pedal it, what's the point? As far as a motorized build, in Illinois a motorized bike can be street legal without plates, but it has to be able to be pedaled, and under a certain cc... If you can't pedal it, it's not a bike and has to be plated as a motorcycle.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Here's my delema. This is my starting point two years ago.
10600635_525053960962701_3813315114183866635_n.jpg

All I did was strip & paint the frame .I also trial & error gathered parts .

397549_663332937134802_9215852715794881562_n.jpg

The bike then sat painted until two weeks ago well after the build off start date

11737820_664485800352849_2244256116195412910_n.jpg

Paint was only thing done before the build off .

12991113_800441183423976_5742297784416010369_n.jpg

This is yesterdays mock up. In can make this pedal but it was never intended to do so. With that being said Id like to be able to pedal it so it can be a bicycle. And be considered a motorized bicycle to keep it street legal with out any doubt .Even though almost the entire bike will be bicycle parts . I appriciate any help . I think I'm going to order a belt drive clutch with a whizzer belt holder for the rear wheel & ditch the jack shaft or use the jack shaft for a crank pedal set up. (I hope the rear whizzer belt loop/holder its large enough to get around the rear disk brake so I can use the brake still . )
13335539_800441283423966_4877787294469947008_n.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Here's the result for the google search 'bicycle definition':
bi·cy·cle
ˈbīsək(ə)l/

noun
  1. 1.
    a vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the front wheel.
If it is not propelled by pedals it is a motorcycle. Here's 'motorcycle definition':
mo·tor·cy·cle
ˈmōdərˌsīk(ə)l/

noun
  1. a two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by a motor and has no pedals.
Even if your foot pegs look like pedals, unless they propel the bike, they are still foot pegs.
Now get busy and make it functional as both and your in!:thumbsup:

BTW, that's a cool looking bike!

Last edited:
Is that a simplex frame?

I'd say if you can figure out how to do a removable bottom bracket, or a three piece crank that's easy to remove that'd be cool. I'd hate to see that frame messed up.

That said, I think for this site and build it should have pedals.

Please figure out a way to get a working BB on this thing, I'd hate to see this relegated to the other talk or motorized category.

Nothing against those forums, I follow them both. But I'd like to see this in the build off.

An engine on a bicycle really stretches the definition of "bicycle" in my mind, and if it can't be pedaled, it ain't a bicycle. That said, very cool looking mock-up, looks great.

furyus

Latest posts

Back