RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone.
I'm interested in all ideas concerning the eventual 'universal fit' dropout extensions. (I may need to start a thread for that to keep the conversation alive).
Thanks for making me feel like a beefy Viking!
:21:

I spent all afternoon yesterday making fiberglass dust in my shop. I had been waiting about fitting a tank until the welding was done to make sure that nothing changed during the process.
It takes patience but in the end I got a nice tight fit. Here's a picture just after I finished for the day. I'll get some better pictures later after Alberto stops dumping rain on Alabama.
100_5357.jpg

I discovered this little grinding rock that was the perfect size for honing the seat stay and top tube openings for this frame.
100_5354.jpg

Another thing I like about these tanks is that their fit can be adjusted to suit within a fairly wide range.
The tanks have been used on quite a few different frames by a lot of different builders. It's always fun for me to see what other people do with them!

This was the best fitting tank that I have done yet. I discovered that cutting the seat stays first really helped to get more accurate location marks on the other openings. Normally the seat stays push the tank away from the seat post making it trickier to line up.

I put the fork and wheels back on and rolled it out of the shop (between Alberto's showers) long enough to get some pics.
100_5371.jpg
100_5374.JPG
100_5375.jpg
100_5377.jpg

First he adds, then he subtracts, then he adds again.
Rinse, and repeat. That's what I call a 'doctored up' rat build!

This is such a good build, glad I found it early enough to follow along while theres still some suspense.

Wedge frame spreader is a great idea. Dropouts turned out great, I gotta say theres probably as much weld in the new drops as the entire frame, theyre not going anywhere. Your drops just helped me figure out what im doing on a build thats in my head. A sincere thanks.

This is such a good build, glad I found it early enough to follow along while theres still some suspense.

Wedge frame spreader is a great idea. Dropouts turned out great, I gotta say theres probably as much weld in the new drops as the entire frame, theyre not going anywhere. Your drops just helped me figure out what im doing on a build thats in my head. A sincere thanks.
I'll be interested to see what's in your head! You're welcome and thank YOU!
Such a killer look the way you do the angle cuts on them pipes. Coming along nicely.
Thanks!

There's nothing that I can report from the last couple of days except that I have been making some very good progress on a TRM skunkworks project that I can't wait to reveal later!
No pictures for now. :bandit:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back