RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern Masters is good stuff—you can even get different solutions for achieving different colors of verdigris on copper or bronze.

The seat pan uses another technique that I've been doing for a few years now. It starts with the rust and then paint is applied over the entire seat. But before the paint goes on, I splattered mustard all over it to block the paint in a random pattern. I've tried several different things and eventually landed on mustard and decided it works good enough. Really anything that will wash away later would work. After it's painted I clean off the mustard/paint with water. The result is paint that looks like it has chipped and pealed off of metal.

Here's the first step from the last page.
index.php

It's too messy to stop and take pics of the mustard but this is it after it was painted and washed.
100_5593.JPG

Fresh rust is more yellow-orange than older brown rust so I wiped it down with Boiled Linseed Oil. It's a pretty close match to the original paint prewar frame!
100_5594.JPG

How was that for a tutorial?:nerd:

How was that for a tutorial?:nerd:

Very good indeed.:41:

I've been searching online for weathering techniques to do what you've done there. I found one that uses salt that I think is promising with a slightly different result, but your method is good too. At some point in the future I'll probably use this technique to try and match the frame to the fenders on my current BO13 build.

Thanks

:113:

Colonel Mustard with the Seat in the Garage

693187-col.jpg

That was a real rooty-tut-orial for sure TRM!

Man o man you just keep getting better every year. After every build off I think he has out done him self this time . Then the next year you come back with something even better. Crazy fabrications Jim love your stile !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^You guys crack me up. :21:

Put the saddle together and sanded some worn edges in the leather. I also strategically added some wrinkles around the edge in a couple of places.
All that's left is to find or create some replacements for the shiny fasteners.
100_5597.jpg

^You guys crack me up. :21:

Put the saddle together and sanded some worn edges in the leather. I also strategically added some wrinkles around the edge in a couple of places.
All that's left is to find or create some replacements for the shiny fasteners.
View attachment 80848

Hard to believe the main body of that seat is fiberglass!

Took another picture of the saddle in better light hoping it would look less like toast. Now it looks more like hamburger buns.:21:
100_5617.jpg

Here's another tutorial (more like a confession of stupidity): Don't leave masking tape out in the sun for too long and expect it to come off easily.
Spent about a half hour peeling little shreds of gummy sticky tape off of the tail pipes and cleaning the glue off.:doh: Thank goodness for Goo Gone!
100_5611.jpg

Getting ready for more paint. Ideally I would've preferred to remove the spring but the push nuts holding it together are very tight and I've never had much luck trying to remove them without damaging or destroying them. So I had to tape it up. This time I'll remove the tape as soon as I'm done.
100_5626.JPG

My internet was down most of the day yesterday so I wasn't able to post but I got the fork painted and started some of the assembly like bearing cups etc.
Here's the fork.
100_5627.JPG
100_5628.JPG

Did I mention that the bike will be two tone? :)

Latest posts

Back