RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it together and mounted it in the tank. There's more to do after I slot the top of the tank and make another hidden mounting point inside but for now the hardest part is done.
100_5465.JPG
100_5466.JPG
100_5467.JPG

100_5468.JPG

I can't actually test it with the hub until I get a new cable in. I had to order a universal cable that has an odd barrel end that's turned like a brake cable.

Beautiful work man!

Love the 'shifter reduction' concept! It does look like a lot of work... I know just the patterning takes a lot of time... it's crazy how much time there is in something that will be hidden. But totally worth it :) ... I see a new product line in your future
This concept started at the end of last year with the idea of offering it as an option with my tanks. However, it was going to be set up for a three speed. I had even bought a shifter to experiment with eliminating the 90° cable. It was a piece of cake compared to this.

The seven speed quickly got complicated but I have been determined to see it work. Once again I feel like I have spent so much time on this one thing that the deadline is starting to look very threatening!

Beautiful work man!
Thanks Brian. The people here will be the only ones to see it when it's done!:bigsmile:

That i
Thanks Brian. The people here will be the only ones to see it when it's done!:bigsmile:

That is true with so much of the work done in the build offs. But it is also part of what makes them so much fun and truly rewarding for those of us that follow them.

Most people will be voting off of a single image of a build in the end, but to the people that actually follow the builds, we know what it took to get to the endpoint.

Looks impressive. So, only one question from me.

Are you charging your customer by the hour? :21:
I'm not sure if he could afford that!

I cut the slot in the top and had to do some selective grinding on the inside of the left half for the moving parts to clear the tank.
100_5504.jpg

It's a tight fit! Look closely and you can see that I had to grind the top edge of the shift linkage and the shoulder bolt also.
100_5489.JPG

Nice, smooth cable run, too. How is the shift action?

Pretty complex shifter, looks marketable.

Now that's what you call squeezing a quart into a pint pot! Kudos!
Having installed one of these TRM tanks onto one of my projects, I appreciate how confined the tank's internal space is. From shifter's concept to finished product, you just pulled off a minor engineering marvel Jim. The hardest part's done ....now you just need to install the battery pack for the tank's marker lights into what little space is left.
Hope QUOISE's soon-to-be custodian is watching this build thread and appreciating the 'extra mile' you're going on his behalf.... if he is, he'll have a grin a mile wide.

Thanks for the props y'all.

The new shift cable came in yesterday. Had to file the end a little to make it fit in the shifter but it worked. Today I played hide and seek with the cable housing. Only the last few inches will be exposed and will be behind the drop out making it almost completely hidden.
100_5527.jpg

From the tank it passes through the seat post and into the right side seat stay.
100_5523.jpg

It exits the seat stay below the 'exhaust' mount. From there it connects up to the hub behind the extended drop out. I couldn't get a drill in the small space so I made the hole with a rasp bit in my Dremel tool. It took a while. lol
100_5513.jpg

You will have to look long and hard to find a cable when it's all done!

Thanks for the props y'all.

The new shift cable came in yesterday. Had to file the end a little to make it fit in the shifter but it worked. Today I played hide and seek with the cable housing. Only the last few inches will be exposed and will be behind the drop out making it almost completely hidden.
View attachment 78398

From the tank it passes through the seat post and into the right side seat stay.
View attachment 78397

It exits the seat stay below the 'exhaust' mount. From there it connects up to the hub behind the extended drop out. I couldn't get a drill in the small space so I made the hole with a rasp bit in my Dremel tool. It took a while. lol
View attachment 78395

You will have to look long and hard to find a cable when it's all done!
Awesome.
I must have missed something in all the shifter excitement. If the shift cable goes through the seat tube, where's the seat gonna go?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If the shift cable goes through the seat tube, where's the seat gonna go?
Interesting that you should ask, that's the next hurdle coming up this weekend. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back