Purple Reign GT Dyno Moto 29er Vids pg5, Beachin' pg6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Purple Reign - Truss rod progress

I really like those strut braces.
Cool idea.

Re: Purple Reign - Truss rod progress

Thanks, got the idea from Fisch's build but he used them at the end of the truss to bolt into the pivot on his suspension rocker. Got the canti posts trimmed down, and used these spacers to mate up to remaining post, these will get glued in. The eyeball alignment I did the other day was off, the trusses now undershoot a bit so there will be little bending required a the top. Will also need to file down lower part of truss to make some clearance room with fork leg/dropout area though I may be able to ahndle that with bending also. Next item will be to paint the Heim joints gloss black.

MazdaFlyer said:
Like your truss rod setup and the 29ers look tough on that frame. Nice!

kingfish254 said:
I really like those strut braces.
Cool idea.

85ce1df4.jpg
7b809a94.jpg
98bf1c8d.jpg

Almost there
050b1724.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/20 Truss

Had to bend both ends of the truss rods to work better, had some interference with the tube/dropout area and the threaded ends didn't line-up(this had the side benefit of bringing the straight portion inline with the fork legs). Also had to bend the ears on the truss bracket a little for alignment. Now just need a 3/4" or so standoff to work. I can actually get closer pulling the truss tabs all the way up at the axle. may end up hitting the rods with some metallic paint, bending krinkled some of the old chrome in the bends. Also might re-tap them, they came with a sheet-metal crew that has the threads a bit hosed.

2000a792.jpg

Another mockup shot with the truss rods essentially done, maybe a bit of fine tuning. Got the seatpost clamp on, need to put the bottom bracket in to mount the crank/chainring, stealing a seatpost off another bike. Need to cut the steerer tube down, but pretty close to a rider, thought I was gonna need to buy another headlock for it but I think the long bolt one I have will work. Still need to make a bracket from an old brake arm to matchup with the new one, too far back to use built-in slot.
21ee1425.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/20 Truss pg4

I think we will look back on this bike as a 'pioneer' build. Not trying to over exaggerate here, but as the 'modern' thinking moves toward larger wheels, disc brakes, threadless headsets, etc, we customizers of 'vintage' bikes are going to find ourselves using them as 'traditional' sized items become rare. Look at the 'Walmart' thread, we're looking at 29" and 32" wheeled bikes in chain stores now.

I wish you the best of luck with this bike, it looks AWESOME so far. The truss rods are a nod to tradition, while roiling on 29s!

Cheers,
Dr. T

yup, trusses look great. nice idea.

Thanks guys! In the words of John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together". I think like most folks here you just start with the parts pile and see what goes together, sometimes it just works. Originally, I had no intention of a 29er build, but there you go, then the trusses seemed to fit(H/T to Fisch's 20 inch of Awesome thread on using Heim joints). Get to building some today, want to be a rider for July 4th, Mission Bay is an awesome cruiser spot on that day.

mrfritz said:
Looks AWESOME!
Dr. Tankenstein said:
I think we will look back on this bike as a 'pioneer' build. Not trying to over exaggerate here, but as the 'modern' thinking moves toward larger wheels, disc brakes, threadless headsets, etc, we customizers of 'vintage' bikes are going to find ourselves using them as 'traditional' sized items become rare. Look at the 'Walmart' thread, we're looking at 29" and 32" wheeled bikes in chain stores now.

I wish you the best of luck with this bike, it looks AWESOME so far. The truss rods are a nod to tradition, while roiling on 29s!

Cheers,
Dr. T
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
yup, trusses look great. nice idea.

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/23 Paint pg4

Cleaned up the truss rods and painted a dull aluminum color, prepped the Heim joints with some finish washers and shot them with some black lacquer, 70s dry and a light breeze, perfect weather for once. Also cut the steerer tube.

05288b3c.jpg

fa8273c4.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/25 coaster pg4

A mini update got the BB bearing cups installed, one side was the hardest I've ever wotked on one of these. After a trip to Ace H/W also fabricated a sliding coaster brake adapter from 2 door hinges, mounted the rear tire, works perfect. Grease bearings and re-assemble tomorrow. Also got some rim strips for these rims and new tubes installed back tire was leaking like a sieve.

2d30fb63.jpg
78710c6d.jpg

I like how clean the adjustable coaster brake brace is. Nice work!

Thanks, didn't quite get the cut at the angle I wanted to match the slot but it's on the back side out of view.

kingfish254 said:
I like how clean the adjustable coaster brake brace is. Nice work!

Was running out of light so pics a bit fuzzy on phone. Got everything back together, neeed to touch up the Heim joints with a small brush, covers were bigger than they looked. If the truss rods are pulled all the way up, only need about 1/4" spacer, another trip to Ace.

ccfa8ef5.jpg

6c24e11a.jpg

Clearance looks pretty good
0cc0eeb3.jpg

Founds a chain in the pile and some extra links just made it but too loose reall and not much room to go back, need to play with it a bit more but may have to go half-link can get the length right on with those but I'll need to splice 2 together, done it before but it's not easy. Used up all my old GT bling parts.
10beea26.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/26 Building pg4

I know what you mean, when I was looking for a fork, it was clear a straight fork wouldn't look right especially after I tried it with an old Nashbar fork, lots of swoop in the frame. The Rustoleum Dull Aluminum paint matches the rims about exact too.

Peatbog said:
Those truss rods are cool. They add something to the curviness of the bike frame. If you cover up the truss rods with your finger (on the picture), the bike loses some of the funky curved look.

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/26 Building pg4

Really coming together fast now. Steering is a bit flip-floppy but I expected that with the slack head angle and big wheels, otherwise very smooth. Not sure those are the pedals but they were the only 1/2" axles ones I had that looked like mtb pedals in any way. Still need to mount disc brake, disc, and brake lever for front, tweak on one of the truss rods a bit, and grips. Then I'm calling it done, maybe get some riding vid this weekend, all easy stuff now though.

9d2f479f.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/27 1st Flight pg4

Just waiting on some bear claw pedals and a kickstand(all mine were too short for this beast). So far only had to purchase hub, spokes/nips, fork and heim joints everything else is from the pile.

5 weeks left to find my camera or get a new one!

9daa883b.jpg

8ad5b7bb.jpg

4533f427.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 6/30 Done-ish pg4

Man, that really pops against that ivy.
BRAVO!!

Yep, took the original photo of the frame in those iceplants, nice backdrop. Took the bike for shakedown and found an issue or 2 in the bottom bracket. Cup on one side is not seated and although I knew I was shy on threaads for the retainer nut it was not enough to hold together kept coming loose. Have to drop the washer at the chainring, just too thick maybe and really crunch the cups in.

Got stopped immediately when I took this thing out of my FJ(barely fits) by some road biker, let a few people ride it. Very smooth.

kingfish254 said:
Man, that really pops against that ivy.
BRAVO!!

Peatbog said:
That purple really snaps against that green background.

Edit: Oops, already been said. But it really does anyway.

That looks like a really fun bike.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
That looks like a really fun bike.

The ride is awesome, feels like a juggernaut once you get up to speed. 48 inch wheelbase makes for a smooth ride and not too bad at ~35# weight.

EDIT: The cheapo VP bear claw pedals came in today, looks way better. Hopefully the kickstand I got coming works, it's gonna be close as it'll be the minimum that'll llikely work.

Re: Purple Reign - GT Dyno Moto 9R Update 7/4 Done-ish pg5

Threw on the bear claw pedals on, like the look much better and added a 1mm spacer to the headset stack as the Azonic Headlock wasn't quite fully engaging. Just waiting on kickstand, may grab some vid today, chargin up GoPro now.

0e386963.jpg

EDIT: Parts List

Stuff from parts pile

Frame - GT Dyno Moto Glide
Wheelset - WTB Speed Disc 700c (from GT Peace, relaced blown rear hub with coaster)
OPC Crank - GT
Chainring - GT
Handlebar - Funn 1" Clamp X 28"W X 2.5" Rise
Tires - WTB ExiWolf 29x2.2 (from GT Peace)
Front Brake - Tektro Aquila Disc/Lever/Mech (from GT Peace after upgrade BB7)
Grips - Oury
Stem - Supergo 1" x 50mm
Saddle - Brooks
Seatpost - Borrowed from an out of commision bike(Nexus 7 is Tango Uniform)
Headlock - Azonic long stem
Chain - SRAM PC1
BB - Odyssey
Truss Rods - Guessing a prewar Elgin ladies bike source

Niagara Cycle
Headset - FSA Fat Pig
Fork - Origin8 26/29 MTB 430mm AC
Spokes/Nips - Wheelsmith OEM bag 291mm/12mm

Ebay
Seapost QR - Sinz 1" (these 1" QR are getting hard to find)
Pedals - VP Bear Claw
Kickstand - ? Schwinn style
Coaster Hub - 32H HiStop
Heim Joints - 6mm with and almost 0.4" spherical opening

Ace and Marshall's Hardware
Nuts/bolts/spacers/rear brake bracket stuff

Latest posts

Back