Project P.S.N.S. - Finished - 3/14/14 - '50 Schwinn - Picture heavy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my build, or rebuild of a bike I got from a government liquidation auction awhile back. Wound up paying $115 for 3 bikes, this was one of them. This bike is believed to have spent most of its life at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, WA.

I decided that I really liked the old, beat up look and the multiple yellow paint jobs it had received.

Here are some pics!

Here is what the bike looked like after I got it home and gave it a good washing.

Here is some tear down pics

Some better lighting of the bike just before tear down

Coaster brake strap is in sad shape, lol.

Chain guard is pretty well beat. It needs some work.

Close up of the chain guard. You can see the original black paint with white pin striping popping through.

Here is the tag between the frame rails, it is really ugly with some sort of glue/tape on it. Stuff took some work to get it clean, but brake cleaner did the trick pretty good.

Here is the other side after a good cleaning.

Here are the wheels. Mismatched wheels that were pretty ugly, one is chromed, the other had been painted yellow several times, so I decided they will get a paint job.

Hubs and spokes got primed then some flat black. Then it was masking tape time. Man this was a time consuming pain in the ....

Time for some yellow!

Finished the wheels!

Spent a good amount of time beating dents out of the fenders. Front was in OK shape, the rear was really beat up.

Well I basically just scrubbed the frame/fork/fenders with soap and water and did a light wet sanding on all of it, and shot it all with a matte finish clear coat. Turned out a little bit more shiny then I wanted it to, but I think over all it turned out pretty good.

Well the bike is ready to ride. To bad its been raining all darn day. Maybe tomorrow.

Still have some things to work on. The box on the rear fender was pretty beat, and tweeked. I picked up something that will replace it, but have not gotten to it yet. I also need to work on the chain guard. It is really beat and bent. I will be working on that in the next few days.

Hope you all enjoy!

That bike is just oozing yellow coolness!!!! Perfect amount of new paint and old cleanup.

Thanks everyone!! I wish I would have gotten this done in time for the winter build off. Oh well, I'm gathering parts for BB9!

That's awesome! I love survivors.
I really like the sign and head badge. For me, it would be tempting to use the original box, but I'm looking forward to seeing the replacement.
I really want to use the original box to. I think I may have another look at it and see what can be done to use it. Not sure if it can be straightened out or not.

That bike is just oozing yellow coolness!!!! Perfect amount of new paint and old cleanup.
I'm usually not a big fan of yellow, but this turned out great and I love the color.

Got the chainguard beat into shape, clear coated, and bolted on.

Here is a pic of the box. Going to work on beating it into shape tomorrow evening. Keep its color? Clear coat it? Black? Yellow?

I was able to take it out for a short spin inbetween rain storms tuesday. Rides real well. Depending on the rain I may take it for a spin out to the train tracks tomorrow.

-Bryan

I'm going to take that gooey sticker with the numbers off, then matte clear coat it. Should I redo the numbers? Do the same numbers as on the frame panel?

I'm going to take that gooey sticker with the numbers off, then matte clear coat it. Should I redo the numbers? Do the same numbers as on the frame panel?
I vote either redo the numbers as they are on the box or match the bike numbers. You really don't want gooey stuff under paint...

Luke.

Nice work!
So glad that you kept the original box with it!

LOVE THIS!

Latest posts

Back