Project Oldboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
I grew up in 90's - 00's, and when i was in high-school i had a bmx bike. I had 2004 (my first bike that got stolen) and 2006 K2 Strip back in the days. That was my first conscious experience of cycling. There were bikes before when i was a kid, but that one was the first one i have chosen myself. I had lots of fun riding on some self-organized dirt track in Moscow, but after a serious injury i had in 2008 i spent few month in the hospital and lost my shape completely, never returned to BMX since then.
Until now, when i somehow ended up to be hooked by this whole bike culture. Seeing the BMX bikes on this forum and on the streets all the time i have decided to build myself a BMX again. Not that i am really planning to kill it like before, but with all the skate parks available where i live now it would be a fun bike to have.
But obviously i can not just buy myself a bike any more. I need to build one that i would love and people be drooling on. So here where this nostalgic project starts. I want to build a BMX that would be a mixture of old-school, mid-school and new-school. I am inspired by old Stingrays, some modern rides i see, and some cool choppers i saw this year at Kustom Konwent in Wroclaw.

Last edited:
Here are the bikes i loved from Kustom Konwent.
That one won the first prize:
743478177_3_1000x700_sale-harley-davidson-sportster-1200-c-bobber-custom-chopper-chopper-cruiser_rev007.jpg

That one took the second:
736580345_3_1000x700_yamaha-sr500-chopper-bobber-custom-chopper-cruiser.jpg

Then here is the bike i have bought locally to use as a parts donor. It is still old enough to be cool, but it is new enough not to be sad to part it. 2001 Dyno Air.
41827831_2408384075853365_4415917547900108800_o.jpg

This is the frame i have ordered from USA to base my bike on.
yal4wkg4

It is the first time i order frames from states. The experience is so far positive. The seat post was tightly in, but i was prepared. The welded clamp did surprise me, but i guess i will be able to put the tube back.
I wanted to buy some OG Chicago made Stingray, but the very same day i was ordering it someone bought it. So i went with some cheap repro frame. Anyway, my plan is to make it look Shwinn, putting all the stickers and stuff. OG head badges are very expensive, so i might just use decals.

Here is the second donor bike i have bought. Just some cheap BMX that i won't be sad to chop apart. I am planning to use cantilever brake arms from that bike, also to have some extra parts just in case, like that device for rear braking with handlebar reversed and more BMX stuff like that. The wheels would go to my trailer, i think they fit it much better considering the weight of that aluminium piece :)
748078660_1_1000x700_bmx-lexus-extreme-rewelacyjny-100-sprawny-legionowo.jpg

The first thing i have done after stripping the frames is grinding the 14mm rear axle to fit 10mm dropouts.
I asked the local BMX shop if they could replace the axle for me, but they said they have no experience with older bikes whatsoever, and it would just cost me a lot of money to pay them for the time they spend figuring out how to :D But i don't blame the guy, the bike culture here in Poland is indeed needs some development. So i went online and found info on how did cool boys manage with it back in 90's.
997f1b185217de9a28ce11363551f1aa.jpg

6e9b0c439c5b54ad300e98f986decd23.jpg

Then i have tried on some sick new school 2.4 wide whitewalls. Initially i have bought it for the trailer too, but it did not clear the frame, so i am using it for that build, since they look just awesome!
b4dd0f709b5c6d92c79afab78f675461.jpg

Hello everyone. I need a community help today.
I have marked up the frame to weld on some brake bosses. My intention is to use Tektro brakes from Dyno Air. I have tried to mount them on bosses on my second donor frame, and found out they won't sit there as good as on original frame.
The bosses i have planned to weld on and ones on the second donor are standard, internet suggests they are m8 (newer BMX use m10 for the rear i have figured) but outer diameter of the boss is 8mm. The bosses on Dyno frame are same depth, same bolt fits in, but they have outer diameter 9mm, and that provides original brakes with more stiff mount. Also unlike the other bosses i have ones on Dyno do not have those extra 3 holes for the spring on each side, because the spring is integrated, and works when pressed on i figured.
Anyways, i do not want to cut up the good Dyno frame just for the bosses. Can anyone tell me more about the standards out there and the solutions for the problem? I do not use rim brakes on my builds often, so i do not know much about the differences out there. I can order bosses online, but i want to make sure i get the ones that would fit, since internet has a lot of options to offer.
In the worst case scenario, i can give up the idea to use Dyno brakes and try to find some alternative, but then again it is more money and more parts left unused, not really a ratrodbikes attitude.

Did your box of grips arrive yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your box of grips arrive yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet. Tracking says it is in Warsaw, so should arrive in a few days.
But i am not really planning to use them on this build. I am probably not going to use that bike really carefully, as it happens to BMX bikes, so i wanted to use some modern BMX grips to fit the color.

Okay, i got tired to try to find the bosses used on my Dyno frame. Those are probably some rare old standard, no one here in Poland have ever heard of them.
I have welded the normal bosses today, and guess i'd have to use some other brakes then the ones i got from Dyno bike.

0b96ac2557959e828dd8e15b29e771d0.jpg

d9f94175d8cf85f0e2ac45012e73ea99.jpg

I know its a bit early...but I can't wait to see a mock up. :)
Actually i am planning to do that soon, just before painting the frame. Though some parts i am planning to use for the final build are still not settled and not ordered.
I need only to fix the forks. I have a nice set of forks from old polish Romet BMX, just need to add bosses (or maybe i should not use the front brakes at all) and cut/weld the head tube to convert from threaded to threadless.
But i am pleased by the fact it is interesting for you and others :)

Last edited:
Here is the picture of my third donor (maybe) bike.
f146ac59f8827843f77fcdf38fd28d40.jpg

I wanted to use that fork on that build. I like the old-school looks of it.
94454e628f41ecb30deda9fb893cdb81.jpg

But then i realized two things. One is that the dropouts are made for smaller axle. Of course i can cut them wider but do i really want to?
1d35b2b989b6f6b262dfed4ec03c602b.jpg

Especially considering how awfully bent it is! I really did not see that coming before i took it apart. I honestly doubt it is the way they are built.
d99eb5ac39138abaa32053a626de6cf7.jpg

So now i am actually considering making my own set of forks for that build. I can utilize one of sets i got lying around in the garage, use 1' 1.5mm tubing and have it the size i want, for example i can have it 1-1/8 inch thread-less, so i can also use the machined 1-1/8 headset for EC33 tube i got from my white Dyno build.

Here is the picture of my third donor (maybe) bike.
f146ac59f8827843f77fcdf38fd28d40.jpg

I wanted to use that fork on that build. I like the old-school looks of it.
94454e628f41ecb30deda9fb893cdb81.jpg

But then i realized two things. One is that the dropouts are made for smaller axle. Of course i can cut them wider but do i really want to?
1d35b2b989b6f6b262dfed4ec03c602b.jpg

Especially considering how awfully bent it is! I really did not see that coming before i took it apart. I honestly doubt it is the way they are built.
d99eb5ac39138abaa32053a626de6cf7.jpg

So now i am actually considering making my own set of forks for that build. I can utilize one of sets i got lying around in the garage, use 1' 1.5mm tubing and have it the size i want, for example i can have it 1-1/8 inch thread-less, so i can also use the machined 1-1/8 headset for EC33 tube i got from my white Dyno build.
That fork is definitely bent!

Latest posts

Back