Project Lil' Guido

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by Smoopy's, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Hey, so I thought I would throw together a new bike for our shop to take with us on our show circuit next year. I wanted something of a "not your everyday" run of the mill bike so I chose this 1974 SICUR Hi-Lo folding bicycle. I've had this Italian jewel(hence the name) in my collection for a while now(dumpster dove for this one.. :mrgreen: ) and decided it was time to restore it. the paint is shot; but the aluminum fenders & wheels are still in useable shape. the generator light set still works and I plan to keep it.
    I'm going for the Gov'ner style look so the paint will be deep hunter green with a gold pearl with fresh white tires. I also plan to add some billboard plates with our logo to the rear rack sides and a small piece of vintage luggage on top. I also plan to run one of our all leather "Smoops" seats and various other parts from our shop. along with a custom headbadge from Jones & sons..stay tuned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrunneCustoms

BrunneCustoms

0   0   0

This bike looks a lot like my Rapido folding bike. The frame is just a little different, and mine didn't have a back rack. I look forward to this one finished. I love these folding bikes I think they are really different and have a neat look to them. Good luck with this build.

3. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

so I got the bike broken down and sent off to our sandblaster..got it back yesterday. I have to admit, I have a thousand ideas running through my mind for this build. I think i've got it figured out on what I want to do.

here's the frame
    [​IMG]

here's the template for the rear billboard plates
    [​IMG]

and here's a rough idea of how they will look
    [​IMG]

I had planned to leave most of the aluminum and nickel plated parts as-is; but which the paint scheme, I just think we need to go another route..I went ahead a broke down the wheels and hubs..more to come
    [​IMG]

4. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

so I moved on to my three favorite P's...Paint, Powder, & Polish!! (I was also out of sheetmetal so I will have to wait on fabbing up the plates).. :lol:
    I decided to powder coat most of the small parts, handlebars, & rims gloss black( in have something else brewing for the fenders..brahhahaha). I think it will help achieve my goal of classic turn of the century styling.

here are the small parts before powder
    [​IMG]

and after a fresh coat of glossy black powder
    [​IMG]

I love the nickle finish and decided to keep a few parts in that finish..so here's what I polished while the powder cured
    [​IMG]

I also got out the ole' airbrush and misted some HOK pegan gold on the hubs..classy!!
    [​IMG]
    more to come...

5. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

It is going to be a classy little bike.

6. nosferatum15115

nosferatum15115

0   0   0

7. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

thanks guys for all the comps...yeah, I've not built a folder before so this is a experience for me as well. I finished up the wheels yesterday. I laced them up, trued them out, & rebuilt the hubs..spin like butta..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the chainguard has started to trouble me..it is pretty waving right in the middle and it is so thin I don't think I can smooth it out..so when in doubt..chop it off!!
    chainguard before
    [​IMG]
    bad place
    [​IMG]
    chainguard cut and rounded to flow with the lines of the bike
    [​IMG]
    I finished all the powdercoating last night as well..handlebars and levers were the last to get done. I really like the fact the levers are built into the bars..pretty trick
    [​IMG]
    thought I would have some fun last night while the powder cured... :D
    [​IMG]

on the fabbing up the plates and get the frame in primer..more to come!!

8. Gdcast

Gdcast

0   0   0

Looks almost exactly like my first bike ever... I got the scar on my chin with that one :D good memories...
    I like what you´re doing man!

9. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

okay, I decided to incorpeate some wood into this bike. I think it will compliment the overall look. I decided to make a rear rack insert and a coffee cup holder for the handlebar. I'll be the first to admit I am not a woodworker so I will do the best I can.. :p
    I decided to use oak since it looked the best
    here's the rear rack
    [​IMG]
    and the cup holder
    [​IMG]

10. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

I finally got me some more sheetmetal and finished cutting out the rear inserts and bolting them into place..
    [​IMG]

here's a quick glance at what they will look like with the wood accent(now sanded and stained a pecan color)
    [​IMG]

I also got the carry-on box I plan to use on the rear rack..it needs some work; but I think it will be a cool addition once it's finished
    [​IMG]

11. Double Nickle

Double Nickle American Vintage Bicycle Supply Moderator

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

12. Wildcat

Wildcat

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I don't know how I missed this bike. It looks like it's going to turn out great.

13. UTR1

UTR1

0   0   0

looking good :mrgreen:

14. Double Nickle

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

You bringing this to the Cabin fever Rat Rod Cycle Run on the 12th of February. :?:

I will be there i wanna see it.

15. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

that's the deadline I've set for myself.. :wink: I got it set in primer today so hopefully start on the paint this weekend..stay tuned!!

16. Double Nickle

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

will do. :wink: do you have any idea of how many people/bikes will be there.

17. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

dunno, we are trying to spread the word..hopefully a good turn out

18. blackphantom

blackphantom

0   0   0

Lookin good so far.

19. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

well, the frame, fork, & plates are all set in primer now..so paint will begin this weekend(I hope :roll: ) I got some goodies in today!!
    some fresh white Kendas and some Bontrager gold braided cable casing...yummy!!
    [​IMG]

20. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

now it's time for the crafty part of this build... :lol: I finished my carry-all box for the rear rack today..in case you don't remember her's what it looked like before:
    [​IMG]

I polished all of the tarnished parts; but left the strips(you'll see why in a minute). I then traveled to my favorite store to hate..Wally World and picked up the Krylon touch and some shoe polish:
    [​IMG]

I taped off and sprayed the box with the Krylon..let tack up..and then rubbed the shoe polish lightly in some areas and heavy in others..this gives it a aged effect..basically made old look old again...here's the final result:
    [​IMG]

I had this old drawer handle lying around and it matched the metal strips perfectly so I used it along with a piece of oak to compliment the look:
    [​IMG]

I also added this little do-dads to each side..swanky!!
    [​IMG]

I plan to add some vintage Italian Luggage tags as well to complete the look..more to come!!