1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

Project Lil' Guido

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by Smoopy's, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

Hey, so I thought I would throw together a new bike for our shop to take with us on our show circuit next year. I wanted something of a "not your everyday" run of the mill bike so I chose this 1974 SICUR Hi-Lo folding bicycle. I've had this Italian jewel(hence the name) in my collection for a while now(dumpster dove for this one.. :mrgreen: ) and decided it was time to restore it. the paint is shot; but the aluminum fenders & wheels are still in useable shape. the generator light set still works and I plan to keep it.
    I'm going for the Gov'ner style look so the paint will be deep hunter green with a gold pearl with fresh white tires. I also plan to add some billboard plates with our logo to the rear rack sides and a small piece of vintage luggage on top. I also plan to run one of our all leather "Smoops" seats and various other parts from our shop. along with a custom headbadge from Jones & sons..stay tuned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrunneCustoms

BrunneCustoms

This bike looks a lot like my Rapido folding bike. The frame is just a little different, and mine didn't have a back rack. I look forward to this one finished. I love these folding bikes I think they are really different and have a neat look to them. Good luck with this build.

3. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

so I got the bike broken down and sent off to our sandblaster..got it back yesterday. I have to admit, I have a thousand ideas running through my mind for this build. I think i've got it figured out on what I want to do.

here's the frame
    [​IMG]

here's the template for the rear billboard plates
    [​IMG]

and here's a rough idea of how they will look
    [​IMG]

I had planned to leave most of the aluminum and nickel plated parts as-is; but which the paint scheme, I just think we need to go another route..I went ahead a broke down the wheels and hubs..more to come
    [​IMG]

4. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

so I moved on to my three favorite P's...Paint, Powder, & Polish!! (I was also out of sheetmetal so I will have to wait on fabbing up the plates).. :lol:
    I decided to powder coat most of the small parts, handlebars, & rims gloss black( in have something else brewing for the fenders..brahhahaha). I think it will help achieve my goal of classic turn of the century styling.

here are the small parts before powder
    [​IMG]

and after a fresh coat of glossy black powder
    [​IMG]

I love the nickle finish and decided to keep a few parts in that finish..so here's what I polished while the powder cured
    [​IMG]

I also got out the ole' airbrush and misted some HOK pegan gold on the hubs..classy!!
    [​IMG]
    more to come...

5. cman

cman Moderator

It is going to be a classy little bike.

6. nosferatum15115

nosferatum15115

7. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

thanks guys for all the comps...yeah, I've not built a folder before so this is a experience for me as well. I finished up the wheels yesterday. I laced them up, trued them out, & rebuilt the hubs..spin like butta..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the chainguard has started to trouble me..it is pretty waving right in the middle and it is so thin I don't think I can smooth it out..so when in doubt..chop it off!!
    chainguard before
    [​IMG]
    bad place
    [​IMG]
    chainguard cut and rounded to flow with the lines of the bike
    [​IMG]
    I finished all the powdercoating last night as well..handlebars and levers were the last to get done. I really like the fact the levers are built into the bars..pretty trick
    [​IMG]
    thought I would have some fun last night while the powder cured... :D
    [​IMG]

on the fabbing up the plates and get the frame in primer..more to come!!

8. Gdcast

Gdcast

Looks almost exactly like my first bike ever... I got the scar on my chin with that one :D good memories...
    I like what you´re doing man!

9. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

okay, I decided to incorpeate some wood into this bike. I think it will compliment the overall look. I decided to make a rear rack insert and a coffee cup holder for the handlebar. I'll be the first to admit I am not a woodworker so I will do the best I can.. :p
    I decided to use oak since it looked the best
    here's the rear rack
    [​IMG]
    and the cup holder
    [​IMG]

10. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

I finally got me some more sheetmetal and finished cutting out the rear inserts and bolting them into place..
    [​IMG]

here's a quick glance at what they will look like with the wood accent(now sanded and stained a pecan color)
    [​IMG]

I also got the carry-on box I plan to use on the rear rack..it needs some work; but I think it will be a cool addition once it's finished
    [​IMG]

11. American Vintage Bicycle Supply

American Vintage Bicycle Supply Double Nickle Moderator

12. Wildcat

Wildcat Pro Member

I don't know how I missed this bike. It looks like it's going to turn out great.

13. UTR1

UTR1

looking good :mrgreen:

14. American Vintage Bicycle Supply

You bringing this to the Cabin fever Rat Rod Cycle Run on the 12th of February. :?:

I will be there i wanna see it.

15. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

that's the deadline I've set for myself.. :wink: I got it set in primer today so hopefully start on the paint this weekend..stay tuned!!

16. American Vintage Bicycle Supply

will do. :wink: do you have any idea of how many people/bikes will be there.

17. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

dunno, we are trying to spread the word..hopefully a good turn out

18. blackphantom

blackphantom

Lookin good so far.

19. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

well, the frame, fork, & plates are all set in primer now..so paint will begin this weekend(I hope :roll: ) I got some goodies in today!!
    some fresh white Kendas and some Bontrager gold braided cable casing...yummy!!
    [​IMG]

20. Smoopy's

Smoopy's

now it's time for the crafty part of this build... :lol: I finished my carry-all box for the rear rack today..in case you don't remember her's what it looked like before:
    [​IMG]

I polished all of the tarnished parts; but left the strips(you'll see why in a minute). I then traveled to my favorite store to hate..Wally World and picked up the Krylon touch and some shoe polish:
    [​IMG]

I taped off and sprayed the box with the Krylon..let tack up..and then rubbed the shoe polish lightly in some areas and heavy in others..this gives it a aged effect..basically made old look old again...here's the final result:
    [​IMG]

I had this old drawer handle lying around and it matched the metal strips perfectly so I used it along with a piece of oak to compliment the look:
    [​IMG]

I also added this little do-dads to each side..swanky!!
    [​IMG]

I plan to add some vintage Italian Luggage tags as well to complete the look..more to come!!