Project LaJolla

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
index.php
index.php

This 2009 Next LaJolla was a project bike my brother picked up at a police auction a couple years ago.
Sadly he never got to work on it. Typical of bikes that have been abandoned or stolen, it was pretty beat.

To access the condition I aired up the knobby tires and took a test ride down the driveway the other day.

It was in sad shape with non existent BB bearings! With all the slop, it's lucky the chainwheel did not cut into the Aluminum frame.
index.php

Tore it down and found rear wheel spokes and nipples severely rusted and unsafe.
index.php

Cheesy front fork had to go.
IMG_1318.JPG

Bars fork and stem were not chromed but painted silver and included tiny grips suitable for a kids tricycle.
IMG_1314.JPG

Looks like the non drive side crank got replaced? I should weigh all these parts I'm removing, as the cranks seem to be made of cast iron!
IMG_1322.JPG

Replaced with a 1980's Huffy mtn. bike fork, GT piston stem and unknown 4-piece bar and grips from my stash.
build 2.jpg

Original steel seat post way too short for proper leg extension, replaced with a new aluminum micro adjust post and Selle Royal "Becoz" cork composite saddle from my brother's parts collection.
Replaced the defective / mismatched rims with late model Huffy cranbrook units.
A China Schwinn ladies hybrid 26 incher provided crankset, BB bearings and tires/tubes.
build 1.jpg

It is a nice light bike to toss around and quite fun to ride. I'm going to keep making changes to components.

Last edited:
At one time I was trying to help the lady next door get her Lojolla back on the rode . I had no Jolla , the bike had taken to many drinks of salt water along the sea shore . Everything was frozen up . It was soaked in PB blaster for a week and I beat on it with a 5lb hammer . I finally threw in the towel and gave her one of my womens part bikes . She was happy to be able to ride along the seashore , but I let her know bicycles and salt water don't mix .
I am ready to sit back with some pumpkin pie and listen to Alice's restaurant , its a tradition in this
house on Thanksgiving .

Last edited:
@sandman, Yes I was afraid the BB cups thread in the aluminum frame might be toast due to ingested grit and dissimilar metal corrosion. Careful cleaning and flushing with light oil cleared the threads and everything went together well. Thankfully this bike hasn't seen salt water.

paint small 3.jpg

Crude photo chop trying to see what bike would look like raw aluminum...

If weather cooperates today I'm gonna try another test ride as I think its too low geared.

Conditions were sunny yesterday but windy and around freezing. I'm not a muscle bike kind of guy as I'm too big for 'em and my last 20" bike was 50 years ago. :21:
IMG_1481.JPG

But this is close to the feeling I remember. Bike feels like it weighs almost nothing and very maneuverable. Maybe a IGH instead of the coaster? Definitely have to get it geared taller as crazy easy to pedal but it's a slow ride on the road now.
IMG_1483.JPG

I know this is an old post but curious to know what the current state of this bike is. I’m just starting to mod one myself.

Latest posts

Back