Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the tunnel freed from the mold.
101_3415.jpg

This is already kicking my #%&@*! trying to fit the tunnel, the tank half and the frame all in one place. I had to first put the tunnel on the frame and then tape some cardboard to the frame to establish the angle and locations of the 'dividers'. Then one tank half was put back on the frame and cardboard profiles were cut in the shape of the inside of the tank. A lot of cutting checking adjusting and repeating happened before the final shape was taped to the cardboard angle locators. Then the tunnel went back on the frame just to mark the profile shapes for trimming.
101_3420.JPG

I took the old adage "measure twice cut once" to a new level. lol Even after spending most of the afternoon on this, I really only expect these cut lines to be somewhere in the ball park. o_O
101_3418.JPG

It's official... I will not be selling fuel tanks. :43:

Here's the tunnel freed from the mold.
View attachment 54272

This is already kicking my #%&@*! trying to fit the tunnel, the tank half and the frame all in one place. I had to first put the tunnel on the frame and then tape some cardboard to the frame to establish the angle and locations of the 'dividers'. Then one tank half was put back on the frame and cardboard profiles were cut in the shape of the inside of the tank. A lot of cutting checking adjusting and repeating happened before the final shape was taped to the cardboard angle locators. Then the tunnel went back on the frame just to mark the profile shapes for trimming.
View attachment 54273

I took the old adage "measure twice cut once" to a new level. lol Even after spending most of the afternoon on this, I really only expect these cut lines to be somewhere in the ball park. o_O
View attachment 54274

It's official... I will not be selling fuel tanks. :43:
Looks like a headless mothman.

Can't blame you for not wanting to mass produce the gas tank, just seems really, really tedious and not financially feasible.
But it should be cooler than dangit.

If I didn't already know what you were doing...
Ha! I like looking at the parts and thinking what in the world? I knew you'd have your hands full.

Carl.

Jim you said you weren't going to go to go over board on the build . So far it looks like a typical R-Man build . Detailed well thought out & top notch one of a kind . This is turning out to be great. Every year they just keep getting better [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't going to market the gas tanks, you should at least market the
cereal box 'angle/profile locators'
:)

Jim you said you weren't going to go to go over board on the build .

:21:...been thinking that same thing.

I spent way too many hours last year going big, so this year I'm going to take it easy on myself! Let's have some fun!

Looks like you are def having fun though. +love watching you work your magic with the fiberglass. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

1rjg3y.jpg

My biggest obstacle was a sculptural commission that has been delayed until this fall due to circumstances beyond my control. So I have been putting off less desirable home projects and having fun instead! I still have serious doubts that I will finish by the deadline though.

Ahha home project I herd that lol . It's hard to want to work on my house when I work on everyone else all week . Fun is where it's at for me too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many different types of petcocks but I wanted to avoid the hassle of bonding a bung directly into the fiberglass so I went with a bolt on. A template was made using masking tape.
101_3435.JPG

To use this type a flat surface is required to get a good seal. I rigged up a makeshift flat surface with a hole cut out over the tank so that I could use a router to make a perfectly flat spot.
101_3437.JPG

101_3438.JPG

101_3440.JPG

Finally I located the necessary holes with the masking tape template for it to slip into place.
101_3443.JPG

101_3444.JPG

Tyler at American Vintage Bicycle Supply and I agreed to a sub build off between his electric motor battery powered bike Ed and my two stroke gas powered bike Chris.

Kind of like a build off between Thomas Edison and George Brayton (Google it, that's what I did :nerd:)!
thomas_edison_2_later_years.gif
George_Brayton.jpg

The official race poster:
index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler at American Vintage Bicycle Parts and I agreed to a sub build off between his electric motor battery powered bike Ed and my two stroke gas powered bike Chris.

Kind of like a build off between Thomas Edison and George Brayton (Google it, that's what I did :nerd:)!
thomas_edison_2_later_years.gif
George_Brayton.jpg

The official race poster:
index.php
Did you draw those bikes? That's a sweet image.

Latest posts

Back