Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would lock nuts make sense on the top of the mounts . Probably can't over tighten because of the rubber compressing. Just thinking the vibration will loosen them up. Or would that be just over kill.
That being said , looks killer man this is another top notch bike [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Matt, the nuts are temporary while test fitting. It will ultimately have nylocs when it's done.

In other news, it's good timing that I'm unable to upload images. Chris has been in the skunkworks lab for the past several days! :bandit:

Last edited:
G-Matt, the nuts are temporary while test fitting. It will ultimately have nylocs when it's done.

In other news, it's good timing that I'm unable to upload images. Chris has been in the skunkworks lab for the past several days! :bandit:

Good I was able thinking noylock I new knew you were smart [emoji1303]huuum skunk works aaaha [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Cool! I really like the fully functional amd widened look of your already cool tank.

And the mounts look great. Awesome idea. Can tell it's not your first motorized buildup for sure. [emoji106]

Building..... Riding.....

Ready for some more fiberglass. Making a tank that will hold fuel is challenging.:13:
101_3393.jpg
101_3395.jpg

Popcorn was awesome, some of the best shine ever.

I'm honestly a bit confused on the new tank mock up, it reminds me of the tail of an airplane.
Looks like the inside of the channel mock-up to me... How ya gonna seal a tank that bolts AROUND the frame? RM has his hands full of work.

Carl.

Ready for some more fiberglass. Making a tank that will hold fuel is challenging.:13:View attachment 53988 View attachment 53989
Am I guessing right that this will become the slot of the tank to make it able to mount and remount it on the toptube? And if I'm still guessing right, than you will get 3 compartments inside the tank: front for lights, middle for fuel an rear for...?

Am I guessing right that this will become the slot of the tank to make it able to mount and remount it on the toptube? And if I'm still guessing right, than you will get 3 compartments inside the tank: front for lights, middle for fuel an rear for...?
I didn't intend to post this as a guessing game but you and @GuitarlCarl essentially got it right. This will be the tunnel for the tank to straddle the frame. When it's done Carl, it will be one piece without bolting it around the frame. You are right SwissGuy in that it will partition off the front and the rear but there will only be two chambers. One for fuel and one for the headlights.

@SSG that is exactly the plan for sealing the tank. Do you have any experience with any one product that has worked better than others? I've read many differing opinions about whats best.

@Chad T it should be safe for holding fuel if I can get everything bonded in place without leaks!

Last edited:
Plenty of oldEuropean dirt bikes use fiberglass gas tanks, I've got 3 Bultacos with glass tanks right now, caswell seems to be the preferred brand of sealer, and using gasoline without corn alcohol in it helps a lot also, the alcohol deteriorates the resin

I figured as much. I couldn't see a way to use it as a tank and bolt it around the frame, as opposed to bolting it to the frame. So you had to create a tunnel. My real question is a matter of volume. Even making it wider, it probably won't hold a lot, and your running mix too so it's not like you can pull up to a pump. Although as noted before, it may have all the range you need. (and you can always pedal home :confused:)

Carl.

I haven't used either, I've just heard that those two are far better than "kreem".

I didn't intend to post this as a guessing game but you and @GuitarlCarl essentially got it right. This will be the tunnel for the tank to straddle the frame. When it's done Carl, it will be one piece without bolting it around the frame. You are right SwissGuy in that it will partition off the front and the rear but there will only be two chambers. One for fuel and one for the headlights.

@SSG that is exactly the plan for sealing the tank. Do you have any experience with any one product that has worked better than others? I've read many differing opinions about whats best.

@Chad T it should be safe for holding fuel if I can get everything bonded in place without leaks!

If the tank only holds a quarter of a g, it should get around 20 miles. Those little engines get good mileage.
The rule of thumb is 10 miles per ounce of fuel. I have never heard of anyone riding a motorized 2 cycle bicycle for more than 25 miles without a break. I think your capacity is more than adequate.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone. If I can get it together, I agree that it will hold more fuel than I will use on most any given ride!

Here's the glass going on the tunnel. It was waxed a few times and then given a liberal coating of Partall release agent.
101_3402.jpg

There's far more than I will use in the end, but it's better to have plenty than to come up short. The sharpie line is a rough guess where I'll trim it after it cures.

101_3406.JPG

101_3411.JPG

101_3412.jpg

Latest posts

Back