Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone.
Here's the first tank mockup.
101_3276.jpg

I like it. I like the stretch on the rear drops too.
Usually I'd say flip the rockers but the stance you've got going is right. Beefy. Can't wait to see the motor tucked in there.
Carl.

I like it. I like the stretch on the rear drops too.
Usually I'd say flip the rockers but the stance you've got going is right. Beefy. Can't wait to see the motor tucked in there.
Carl.
Yeah, this is not the right bike for flipping the rockers. Apart from the look I'm after, I don't think I would be comfortable with the abated handling on a motorized bike!

The original engine mounts clamp directly to the frame and transfer a lot of vibration to the bike. So hopefully these vibration isolation mounts will address that problem.
vibration mount.jpg

101_3277.jpg
101_3278.jpg

I'm considering adding a third mount between these just because I'm unsure how much movement it will have under a load. This is still temporary material for easy mock up and will be made out of steel ultimately.

The original engine mounts clamp directly to the frame and transfer a lot of vibration to the bike. So hopefully these vibration isolation mounts will address that problem.
View attachment 52455
View attachment 52452 View attachment 52453

I'm considering adding a third mount between these just because I'm unsure how much movement it will have under a load. This is still temporary material for easy mock up and will be made out of steel ultimately.
I have one those 2 stroke motors mounted on an old Schwinn with less dampening than you are going to have. It really doesn't have much vibration at all, it just needs a different carburetor. Your mounts look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one those 2 stroke motors mounted on an old Schwinn with less dampening than you are going to have. It really doesn't have much vibration at all, it just needs a different carburetor. Your mounts look good!

Agree. Have had several 2 stroke engines on bicycles; minimal vibration. However, your mount & dampening system is great. I would definitely be more concerned with rear wheel drive set up. I recommend ditching the bolt on the spokes sprocket that comes with the kit. Splurge on the hub drive upgrade.

Thanks guys. My other motorized bike 'Bhuzzard' has noticeable vibration in the pedals when the little motor is wound up on the top end. It's not terrible but I needed to relocate the engine position anyway so I thought it would be worth experimenting with some rubber mounts.

This is roughly how it will sit in the loop of the frame:
101_3284.jpg

The flat pieces will be welded in place.

That cradle looks sweet. Do the vibration isolators allow for a lot of engine movement? Curious if that will affect drive belt(chain?) tension.
Looks like the rubber mounts would act much like rubber engine mounts in a car and would not cause noticeable engine movement.

That cradle looks sweet. Do the vibration isolators allow for a lot of engine movement? Curious if that will affect drive belt(chain?) tension.
Looks like the rubber mounts would act much like rubber engine mounts in a car and would not cause noticeable engine movement.
Honestly, I don't know yet. This is uncharted territory so I won't really know what to expect until I mount it and try it in the real world. I am hedging my bet though by adding a third mount.

Just finished the latest mock up:
101_3297.jpg

I really like the curvy frame. Looks great without an engine
Thanks, me too.
I took this a couple of days ago just to check the engine placement but since you brought it up I thought I'd give you a look at it with the engine!
101_3290.jpg

So cool !!!

For not having much time for this build off ,,, your killing it man . The Chris is looking excellent. With so many modifications I know a lot of time goes into just thinking it through before you even make the parts. Hard to beat your stile bikes . Top notch as usual.
The Chris kinda reminds me of the bike
181f6cfb832fdd9a4b273f5058a2c9d0.jpg

The first step in making a TRM 'fuel' Tank was to modify the molds to increase the capacity. I have a basic plan for this but I have a feeling that it is going to get complicated before it's done.:chicken:
101_3292.jpg

Latest posts

Back