Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cool, I've seen pictures but never sat on one!

Here's another piece finished. I needed a frame to mount the Christy pan and the supports. This was the best way to avoid having any bolts showing on top of the saddle.
PAN SUPPORT.jpg

Here's where the skate comes in!
I removed one of the trucks from the jump plate, narrowed the width and applied it to the front pivot for the Christy. I could've easily just made a simple hinge but I love things that are mechanical and look over engineered! :D

101_3656.JPG
101_3652.jpg

101_3648.jpg

101_3654.JPG

Back in my skating days in the 70's, I used to lay awake in bed dreaming of Sure Grip jump plates. Now I just chopped up a set for a bicycle seat!:21:

Brilliant suspension!
How well does it flow with the bike?

561e75ebbca9cdb057f977c69f850442.gif

I think you may laid awake a few nights on this one toooo....
That's actually fairly close to the truth! One morning this past week as I was waking up the skate truck idea came to me from out of nowhere. I think that my mind continues to work on these things while I sleep and then presents itself as I gather my thoughts for the day.

KF- It seems to flow good, can't wait to get the leather on it next!

Last edited:
That's actually fairly close to the truth! One morning this past week as I was waking up the skate truck idea came to me from out of nowhere. I think that my mind continues to work on these things while I sleep and then presents itself as I gather my thoughts for the day.

KF- It seems to flow good, can't wait to get the leather on it next!

I love how RRB is an incubator for re-engineered stuff like this. The more we see others use unusual items in different ways, the more our minds stretch and allow room for ideas like this to pop into them. Excellent execution as always!

Mechanically it is beautiful. I was just worried that it may not play well with the futuristic curves of the tank. I just did a simple cut and paste in paint.net and silly worries are gone. It looks awesome and actually balances well with the springer truss front end and the mechanical mass of the motor. Build on brother!

Started fitting the frame mounts for the fender that I got from @KEMPRACING .
I taped spacers to the tire and let the fender rest on them to get it even around the wheel. Then I cut some small tubing to fit between the stays. Nothing fancy with the braces, I'm making them like the originals.

101_3660.JPG
101_3661.JPG

Hopefully I can get them brazed in place tomorrow.

Killer progress on this. Will we see the tank's final finish with headlights and paint?
The tank will not be finished in time and will be shown in primer along with the rest of the bike. I have one shot at getting it right without leeks so I'm putting it off until I can slow down and properly focus on it. However, I do have the "cover" to finish for the nose of the tank and that will serve as my last surprise reveal.:D

I've been out of town all day today so no new progress to report.
So I'll use this as an opportunity to share my solution for making the shiny new chrome rear Worksman rim a rusty match for the front.

The technique for getting a realistic patina was quite simple that anyone can do.

First you contact @ind-chuckz to check and see if he has a suitable match.

Next you get a price quote and then Paypal the funds to him.

The next part is the hardest part; you wait for FedEx to deliver it to your door.

Voilà! It's a perfect match!!!

000_0030.JPG

I've had this for a while, now I just have to find time to swap it out!:grin:

Last edited:
Curious to see what "cover" you unveil. I can see a shark nose fairing looking sweet on this!

The tank will not be finished in time and will be shown in primer along with the rest of the bike. I have one shot at getting it right without leeks so I'm putting it off until I can slow down and properly focus on it. However, I do have the "cover" to finish for the nose of the tank and that will serve as my last surprise reveal.:D

I've been out of town all day today so no new progress to report.
So I'll use this as an opportunity to share my solution for making the shiny new chrome rear Worksman rim a rusty match for the front.

The technique for getting a realistic patina was quite simple that anyone can do.

First you contact @ind-chuckz to check and see if he has a suitable match.

Next you get a price quote and then Paypal the funds to him.

The next part is the hardest part; you wait for FedEx to deliver it to your door.

Voilà! It's a perfect match!!!

View attachment 57422

I've had this for a while, now I just have to find time to swap it out!:grin:
:thumbsup: Thank you Jim

The rear fender support is done and the fender is cut!

101_3671.jpg

I made the bottom mount out of aluminum to go with the aluminum chain adjusters but I'm not happy with it. With the time crunch it will have to do for now, but I'll most likely remake them out of steel and weld them to the drop outs later on. They are a little crudely cut but I didn't feel the need to spend any more time on them than I had to.
101_3669.JPG

I do however like the rivet head bolts on the brace so I've got some more soaking in vinegar tonight to knock the shiny zinc off them.:)
Tic toc tic toc tic toc

They look pretty sweet to me but then again the steel will age better . I was noticing the chain tensioners very nice to have on a motor bike [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@G-Matt , the chain tensioners were the main reason for making these this way. Without them, the dropouts are not thick enough for the axel nuts to tighten completely. I think the tensioners were made for thick aluminum BMX frames. So the fender support serves a duel purpose.

When I remake them later, I will be able to make them smaller since they will be welded. These were made big enough to allow the would be machine screws around the edge to not interfere with the tensioner.

Latest posts

Back