progress made (Class 1) Spirit of 76 Hawthorne Muscle bike Tandem. The 2nd try

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a Hawthorne Tandem yes the same one I didn't start in the main build off .And I may not finish again .. I seem to have no time to do the build offs this year due to circumstances beyond my control.
But I'm to try any ways..:rolleyes:
I plan on building this anyway so I figure why not.
Id rather try & not finish Than not try at all.
DSC02646_zps8fcaa13b.jpg

DSC02648_zps462f7620.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun ! Great looking bike . Looks like the rider in back gets all the cool bars seat and sissy !

9/23/14 I auctially started the bike. YAY ! What delayed me last time besides free time was a good parts donor bike.. I finally found some of the parts I was seeking this past week ..
DSC02581_zpsc3d872e2.jpg

Finally got this awful fender off .
DSC02582_zps782dcd13.jpg

DSC02583_zps944a981b.jpg

Original front fender , Before
DSC02588_zpsecbd7843.jpg

Bike with the Donor fender on the bike & next to the bike is the original fender cleaned up .I'm not sure what to use ??:crazy:
DSC02589_zps583dd4ad.jpg

The bike mocked up so far.
DSC02594_zps4ccb4282.jpg

Last edited:
Se
Welcome to the fun ! Great looking bike . Looks like the rider in back gets all the cool bars seat and sissy !
The second rider (the stoker) has bars that don't turn, so build one looonnng banananana seat. Then the front rider (the captain) gets to sit on a banana too!

Carl.

The front seattube barely sticks up above the frame. You could try a mock up with the (front seat post /seat / rear bars) removed, then get/make some mega apes. Maybe even a 27" fork. The bike could still revert back to stock in the future.
Whatever you do, I'm sure it's gonna be cool.

Depends on what you are gonna do with the bike in the future if you are thinking about keeping it it doesn't matter about rarity and just make a comfortable adult rider but if resale is on your mind just do a nice restore either way it is a nice ride

Wish I could find one of these for my boys!
I'm sorry to say . They are extremely hard to find Ive only seen two others & they where on a Google Search . Your best bet is a Schwinn Mini Twin if you have the $$ .. The only other 20 Inch Tandem Ive owned is was a Kent & it was a regular seat ( like a road bike ) with Full fenders version & man was that a small fit bike .( tight for kids even to ride )

I finally got around to getting this bikes bearings cleaned / greased.. Cleaned the cranks sprocket made the rear fender fit correctly. I was surprised to see the seat post & the rear seat post are just about the entire length of the frame seat tube ! Still a long way to go on this .. Will I finish in time is the question ?? But at least now I have a chance ..:thumbsup:

DSC04000_zps293d839a.jpg

DSC03999_zps57e843fd.jpg

DSC03998_zps190c9e8a.jpg

DSC03993_zps44f3808a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back