Probably the first gravel bike ever made.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The specialization and "niche fragmentation" of bikes has definitely resulted in more sales. It used to be that one mountain bike could be ridden everywhere. They used to be referred to as all terrain bikes (ATB). I suspect that it was all done by marketing. If you frequent MTB forums, people are definitely buying into it, that's for sure... Some of them have a fleet of multi thousand dollar rigs. And can't imagine how a 26 inch wheel could even possibly roll. The marketing is strong...
Agreed; my daily grinder is a TREK 3900 with urban tires on it. (Maxxis holy roller)

I’ve ridden that thing on about everything and wouldn’t hesitate to take anywhere.

The only knock is the weight; as is, it’s a 39 pound bike.

I bought an old Schwinn Collegiate and I want to turn it into a gravel bike. I know it’s not exactly a light bike, but I’m going to put it on a diet!

It has but at the same time, I don't see how specialization and more choice hurts anything.

It isn't like there aren't a fair few do everything bikes around. I mean Surly makes a whole fleet of them.

Having choices is a great thing, but sadly I've seen people who haven't taken part in some bicycle activities because they don't have the right bike or the right apparel.

For example, I enjoy bikepacking/off road touring/bike camping, and I've met more than one person who has told me they'd love to try it but they can't get a new bike. I always tell them that the best way to start bikepacking is go with what you have.

Btw, Surly makes great bikes. I own 2 and have owned 2 others in the past.

Nothing is stopping me from riding, I just dislike that mountain bikes can't do it all. They've become far too focused on downhill. I want an All Terrain bike, something that can be ridden 30km. At least 2x drivetrain so I can have top speed, non slack geo for light steering... I'd be willing to consider 27.5, but haven't ruled out a used 26 frame up build off pinkbike or something. Problem is I'm already building a 26, and you know parts aren't getting any easier to find. I'm trying to bust out of my retro grouch ways, but I'm also a money grouch, can't spend a thousand dollars on a bike

Nothing is stopping me from riding, I just dislike that mountain bikes can't do it all. They've become far too focused on downhill. I want an All Terrain bike, something that can be ridden 30km. At least 2x drivetrain so I can have top speed, non slack geo for light steering... I'd be willing to consider 27.5, but haven't ruled out a used 26 frame up build off pinkbike or something. Problem is I'm already building a 26, and you know parts aren't getting any easier to find. I'm trying to bust out of my retro grouch ways, but I'm also a money grouch, can't spend a thousand dollars on a bike

I have done over 30 mile rides multiple times on my 64 degree headangle 1x hardtail with zero problems. For me, anything over 70 degree head angle feels like a bag of crap on anything harder then blue trails. I love "modern" geometry. Personally I think it gives up nothing (other then they are expensive).

Now I am not completely sold on 29in. They are faster for sure but less toss able which is why my next bike is going to be a small wheeled bike.

I put a dinglespeed set up and changed out the bars on this early 90's Schwinn Impact. It was my daily driver and I rode every kind of terrain on it until it was stolen.

I usually ride between 20 and 40 miles a day and I miss this bike for doing that.

I will say my singlespeed Surly Orge does all the same things and has more barnacles for bikecamping, but it is above your $1000 limit.
20190711_143352.jpg

"Barnacles..." nice one! I know I'm being silly and difficult, but I am a minimalist, i dislike the bosses on Surlys. Surlies? Anyhoo, I find the forks look like a cactus with all the mounts. I'm never putting racks on my bike, so I'd rather them be clean. All I need is one, maybe two bottle holders. This is why I've been shopping for another bike for months now. I'm basically looking for a 2011 Stumpjumper hardtail, or whatever equivalent, the last best of the 26 era

"Barnacles..." nice one! I know I'm being silly and difficult, but I am a minimalist, i dislike the bosses on Surlys. Surlies? Anyhoo, I find the forks look like a cactus with all the mounts. I'm never putting racks on my bike, so I'd rather them be clean. All I need is one, maybe two bottle holders. This is why I've been shopping for another bike for months now. I'm basically looking for a 2011 Stumpjumper hardtail, or whatever equivalent, the last best of the 26 era

I don't think you're being difficult you know what you want and are trying to get it.

I'm the same way, and that's why I like my Surlys. They're versatile and the barnacles make them more so. They do what I want, my Orge has been a daily driver, errand runner, singletrack day rider, overnighter, and multi-day mixed terrain/off road tourer.

Granted there's bikes that may be better at those individual things, but I don't think there's many that do all of that well and important for me, comfortably.

Last edited:
It has but at the same time, I don't see how specialization and more choice hurts anything.

It isn't like there aren't a fair few do everything bikes around. I mean Surly makes a whole fleet of them.
My green Breezer can do many things without breaking. I could probably jump it if I put a front suspension on it.
20191016_145532.jpg

When it comes to gravel bikes a lot of old Polish Romet bicycles in the 70's and 80's could be considered pre-gravel bikes. They were sturdier and heavier than the road bikes of that time. Those bikes included:

Wagant Sport (kinda the same thing that i built, it was a stock 10spd)
Pasat (basically the same as above)
Orkan (You guessed it - basically the same as above)
Meteor
Kobuz
Albatros

All of them had basically the same frame, and while the first two were always 10 speed bikes, the lower ones came out as 5-4-3 or 1 speed bikes. All of them were running on 630 wheels, mostly with 35-630 tires.

Since there wasn’t any pavement when the bicycle was first made/ridden they were all gravel bikes or cobblestone bikes. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 huge bicycle books. This was in one of them. Zoom in for text.
View attachment 111355
82421404_2683530205016197_2103684074026565632_n.jpg

Early 1940's french Mercier, 100% original, still had the retailer specification card with price on it (probably a left over from a bicycle shop)

I put a dinglespeed set up and changed out the bars on this early 90's Schwinn Impact. It was my daily driver and I rode every kind of terrain on it until it was stolen.

I usually ride between 20 and 40 miles a day and I miss this bike for doing thatView attachment 111555
I have a large size Schwinn Impact waiting for attention. Needs work but a nice tall frame bike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back