Pro-Stock Swingbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanted to put this in the build-off, but I am repairing the rear triangle; and the top frame in this pic is not mine. I am going to use it to make a jig and replica upper frame section. Since it will not fit the factory frame rule for the build-off, I am posting it here as a "regular bike build". I may take the liberty of modifying the frame since it doesn't qualify for the build-off.

I am open to ideas.

My "gasser" style swingbike ended up being a swingbike-krate hybrid. I hope to keep this one more unique.

So far I have started to build some dropped-dropout extentions, a custom wheelie bar, 20 x 3 rear slick, I am still thinking through a bolt-on BB relocation set-up. I am also considering a super skinny front tire and maybe a layed out springer fork.

I have two cameras and one card. Each camera only functions in it's own way. I am limited to what I can do with it. I hope I can get the pictures to be clear enough to see what's going on.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

i thought regular swing-bikes where cool this just takes it to a whole other level... i can't wait to see where your going to take this new build.....

I was just looking for some inspiration. This is what I have found. I like the paint style of the '70's pro stockers. I like the stance of the newer cars.

So far I have the wheelie bar, fat slick, a smaller front tire, (I was thinking about a 20 x 1 inch, but this may be better). I wonder how hard it would be to make a set of 5 spoke wheels...Probably too hard for me anyway. The low set back banana seat will probably do as a spoiler.

I sort-of had hopes of salvaging an original top frame section from somewhere, but I will probably buy the metal and get started tomorrow. I am excited to see where this thing goes.

prostock70.jpg

prostock3.jpg

I put together this frame jig based on an original swingbike top frame section. Now I can make as many as I want and they will all be the same. I may build a frame and just hang it on like this on the wall when I'm done. :D

IMG_0007.jpg

I got this fork as a partial trade for building a frame for harquahalas. I may or may not use it on this bike, but here it is. This is what I have done with it so far.

IMG_0016.jpg

In stock form it's neat, but at the same time sort of awkward looking with the axle being behind the pivot point on the fork. Below is my attempt at making it flow a little nicer. It extends the wheel out forward and it also lowers the front end about 1.5 inches.

I don't have a 24" wheel to try in the fork, but looking at the pictures, it looks like this 24" fork would still fit a 24 inch wheel in the new arrangement. I had to grind a useless extention of the rockers, and bend the truss rod part but that was easy to do.
IMG_0020.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

I started building two top frame sections. I am making one with 100% stock mearsurements using the jig I made with an original frame and then this "raked" top frame for use with this fork. Here are the pictures of the raked frame just tacked together and the original style freshly notched and in the jig.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

not a real big fan of swing bikes.....until now! great job! 8)

I can't wait to see what you do harquahalas.

I went ahead with the skinny front tire. I also got the bike rideable. It is a trick to get the back tire to not rub anything. I may redo the dropout extentions and make them slightly bigger and easier to adjust. Here it is for now. I put the little mag sprocket on just to test the bike out. I am kind-of liking it and may not put the 65 tooth gear on. I am also liking the ratiness of it and may have a hard time bringing myself to paint it. I may just do the prep work for paint and leave it at that. Either that or maybe a high gloss black with gold and white striping/lettering.

What do you guys think for paint scheme or color?

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

to cool!!!! where did you get the rear tire? is that some kind of spring in the back to help correct the rear wheel? the whellie bar is real nice. you got one cool hot rod.

The spring is part of the frame lock, so it can be ridden as a "normal bike". I will put a cenetering spring on this that goes from the tab on the rear triangle to the bottom of the top frame somewhere just in front of the middle. I usually don't put them on or use them. They just get in the way, but I think this one needs the centering springs just for the look.

The rear tire is an Innova 20 x 3.0 slick fits a standard 20 inch rim. The front tire is a Primo comet 20 x 1.35. This also happens to fit a standars 20" rim. They both say 406 on them. (rim size i guess).

Thanks for the compliment. I will feel kind-of dumb riding it, so It will mostly be for the wall or a celing ornament. I have just had this dragster muscle bike idea in my head ever since I was a kid and decided to finally build it. The neighbor kids rode it up and down the street yesterday. They thought it was great.

I finally made some more progress. I got a run on the triangle. I tested sanding and adding a second coat on some scrap metal and it wrinkled up. I tested some clear coat on another scrap and it wrinkled up even worse. It looks like I am going to have to wait weeks before I can fix that. I bought "automotive enamel" in a can hoping it wouldn't wrinkle. Oh well.

The stickers were made by rrb member axsepul. The stickers are layered not printed. I might not use them on a restoration, but I think they worked out awesome for this. Thanks axsepul!

The kickstand was shortened and the end was rotated so it wouldn't be in the way of the pedals or feet.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

bikebuilder said:
I will feel kind-of dumb riding it, so It will mostly be for the wall or a celing ornament...

Man, that's sweet! I'm 41yo and not a small guy at all... I wouldn't feel anything but kool ridin' that! Is that rear tire available still? ..can't seem to find it. Got an extra one for sale?

Thanks, The tire seemed fairly easy to find 4 months ago. I can't find it anywhere now either. I wish I would have purchased two when I had the chance.

I still have to put the fame springs on and I need to take the master link out of the chain to put a regular link in it's place. The master link catches sometimes in the derailleur.

Here is the last photo before I put it in the "other bikes - muscle bike category". It is a little ratty, but I am not sure it really qualifys as a rat, so.. to the muscle bike thread. ( in a week or two when I get the frame springs.

IMG_0114.jpg

Latest posts

Back