prewar schwinn tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up this old schwinn tandem yesterday. There are a few incorrect parts: front tire, neck, crank, pedals... I would like to narrow down a year for it, but for now I am guessing TOC-1930?? Please let me know if there is any information other than the Ignaz Schwinn family bike, and the 1899 schwinn catalog bike.
10014263103_b7f4d16e64_c.jpg

10014256786_73acf61d8b_c.jpg

10014310143_c771c99474_c.jpg

10014199725_f675831007_c.jpg

10014179155_a2ffe74f95_c.jpg

here is the schwinn family tandem
2325970974_0c60ebd384_z.jpg

here is the scan of the 1899 tandem
1899_12.jpg

I am not looking to sell it until I figure out what it is worth.
here are more detailed images http://www.flickr.com/photos/83196242@N06/

Man that's cool not a big tandem fan but that's one I would be proud to have for sure. Nice find

Super cool find!

Thats the first time i've seen a sturmey archer gront internal hub. Lol Pretty awesome looking ride though

My plans are to put it in storage until I save some money and find some much needed parts. I will be looking for the (probably impossible) correct cranks, rims, tires, and possibly a better set of chains. These chains are extra thick! They are wider than a normal skip tooth chain.

Or... Perhaps I will sell the bike?

Let me know what you figure out for the front fork. I have a rear-steer frame and need to figure out a fork solution as well.

Before you put it in storage, coat everything in oil, especially any threaded parts. Time to start on the rust penetrating process while you wait.

That crank looks to be mostly complete. Just missing the 3 small bolts that hold the sprocket to the smaller circle. There would be lots of torque on those 3 bolts, probably broke off which is why the bike was barned. Look for grade 8 or stronger bolts at the hardware store.

Put the chains in a jar of oil for now, a few months of soaking may do wonders.

rickpaulos said:
Before you put it in storage, coat everything in oil, especially any threaded parts. Time to start on the rust penetrating process while you wait.

That crank looks to be mostly complete. Just missing the 3 small bolts that hold the sprocket to the smaller circle. There would be lots of torque on those 3 bolts, probably broke off which is why the bike was barned. Look for grade 8 or stronger bolts at the hardware store.

Put the chains in a jar of oil for now, a few months of soaking may do wonders.

Thanks for the help. The crank that is on the bike is not right. I will need one of these impossible to find ones
10231832364_6f019cf6e4_o.jpg

Oh, while I am at it, I will need to find or make one of these forks
10231833794_88df73c381_o.jpg

I still have the tandem. It is in storage, while I am so busy with work and life, that sadly I don't have much time for bikes.

Nice tandem! You could use a more modern 60's -70's Schwinn tandem fork until you find the correct year fork, if the size is correct. The 60's-70's tandems have a 6-3/4" fork steering tube with threads about 1-1/2 down from the top. I have three Schwinn tandems, a 66, 67, and 79.

nice! I have three schwinn tandems also! This one, a Mini-Twinn and a town and country that looks like this with the drum brakes:
1959-tandem.jpg

I have a lead on a 28" triple crown fork that is really similar to what should go on it... It will need to be modified to accept the steering arms from the rear steer tube.

Latest posts

Back