Prewar Schwinn "Snow Day" FINISHED PICS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you changing rims? That rear gear looks like a skip tooth... won't work with standard chain or sprocket...

Carl.

I'm getting a new sprocket, I wasn't sure if I I wanted a standard chain or skip tooth one....im going with the skip tooth

Are you changing rims? That rear gear looks like a skip tooth... won't work with standard chain or sprocket...

Carl.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check for a number

Ah. If you hit it with a wire wheel or brush the # on it might show up, making it easier to locate a replacement.
Alternately, you could run loose balls w/o retainer. The retainer is not necessary.

Some more pics added

Thanks Glen! Let me clear that up:

NEW PICTURES ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST

What do ya think do far? I may add a few things here and there.

Looks good. Have you ridden it yet? Hows that crazy cocked angle you've got that seat set at feel? I've seen many guys set their seats that way for photos, but they don't ride em' like that... just curious.

Carl.

Looks good. Have you ridden it yet? Hows that crazy cocked angle you've got that seat set at feel? I've seen many guys set their seats that way for photos, but they don't ride em' like that... just curious.

Carl.

If you turn the seat post facing forward as it was designed, then the seat will assume a level, functional orientation. :)

The seat is surprisingly comfortable as it is. It gives me a "stretched" style of riding.

I swear this bike is fighting me every step of the way! I'm about done but the rear hub is giving me trouble and I'll probably ditch the rear fender idea.

What type of rear hub and what type of trouble. I'm amazed at the rebuild guides in the how to section of this forum. I had a hub that wouldn't engage at all. Forwards or backwards. Rebuilt it and now it's as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a new departure model d. It's probably my third one I've rebuilt. This one keeps loosening when I bolt it on. I just need to get another wrench to hold the bearing nuts tight. I just lost all of my patience the other day, I'm sure I'll get it soon enough lol

You might know but:
Make certain that the locknut on the brake arm side is tight.
A cone wrench is needed for the drive side, 15mm works.
Thread the cone down by hand until it stops, back it off a bit, then tighten the cone against the locknut with the cone wrench and other wrench of your choice.
I've found just a bit of play is fine: it's taken up when the axle nuts are tightened.

BIKE IS FINISHED! Got the rear hub trouble fixed up, changed the sprocket yet again and already took her around town! I'll put up some pictures tonight or tomorrow depending on when I take it for another ride. I ditched the rear fender idea also and made a cool keychain for the locking fork key.

THESE PHOTOS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD!
Here it is FINISHED

here's the keychain I made out of the left over chain links from the chain on the bike.

SO THERE SHE IS, "SNOW DAY". WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK?

Latest posts

Back