Prewar Schwinn Autocycle maybe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
20180126_141810.jpg

20180126_141635.jpg

20180126_141646.jpg

20180126_141817_Burst01.jpg

Serial number is S14026 comes up as a 1955, but there's some characteristics that throw me off. Which makes me think it's pre-war.

The drop outs would make me think it's prewar. Schwinn had a fire and lost serial number records, as a result some numbers were duplicated. There are some prewar numbers that were used on later year bikes. Do some investigation, there are people trying to place togeather the lost and reused numbers. The skip tooth is a clue, but there were skiptooth bikes into the 50s, so that is not a determining factor necessarily. Nice bike, would be fun to research.

Those dropouts are pre 46. The serial number lookup thing is for serial numbers after 52, on the dropout. I'll bet yours is on the bottom bracket. Pre 48, the number list was burned up in a factory fire, so it a guess before then.

+1 on that. Also I believe '52/'53 was the last year Schwinn used skip tooth.

Where is the serial number located? Bottom Bracket or rear drop out?
Those dropouts are pre 46. The serial number lookup thing is for serial numbers after 52, on the dropout. I'll bet yours is on the bottom bracket. Pre 48, the number list was burned up in a factory fire, so it a guess before then.

Ya the number is on the BB shell, sadly this is not mine was just do research for a buddy. But after I tell him how much it's going to cost to get it back to original he's not gonna want it :21:.

Latest posts

Back