Prewar drop stand question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm no expert on prewar bicycles but I know that theres a bracket that mounts on the back of the rear fender and holds the stand up. What happens when the bike doesn't have the rear fender, how do you keep the stand up, I've seen bikes with the drop stand and no rear fender. Any ideas, suggestions, or tricks are welcome, thanks

Seems like you could just flip it up all the way over the tire so that it rests on the frame?

If there is no fender of course.

The stock stand cannot be flipped over the tire but you could make a custom stand and that will lift the bike pretty high and may be unstable in the parked position.
You might look into torsion springs and work out some sort of device.
http://www.masterspring.com/spring-wire ... n-springs/

On my zep frame I welded a piece of 1/4" steel rod down the seat stay and bent it around the back of the tire, kind of like a bumper to catch the drop stand and mount a license plate.

Walker's bike was the one I thought of when I read the question so I'm glad he responded. It was a well conceived idea and looked awesome and he should link to a picture of it :lol:

thanks for the compliment Jpromo, here's some photos of my fix

I used some rare earth magnets to support the dropstand, which kind of worked. if I hit a bump the magnet would release. I think a heavier duty magnet or some kind of small clip would work just fine.

0320013.jpg

0320011.jpg

0320012.jpg

The drop stands without fenders are more than likely repop ones. Those(well, most) will work without a fender since they have springs where the original ones don't. Hope that helps some. I think you could make a original one work without a fender but I'd have to dig one of mine out to make sure. If you can wait a few days I can let you know.

Just recently I seena girls bike on the cabe that had an attachment for dropstand clip fastened to lower frame stay ahead of axle. Now I need to Fab one for my 37 Schwinn cause the fender has the rear stay in a high position and a deluxe reflector occupies the regular mounting points.The bike was designed for the latest in kickstands So it normally would have it under the frame like modern biked

Some of the drop stand pivot-brackets or ears had conveniently located holes for a padlock or a toggle pin or a bolt and nut. With the stand in the up position, the lock would hold the stand up; with the stand in the down position, it would lock the stand down - difficult to ride off with.
Pope Westfield Mass patent 1,130,094 of 1914-15 shows this feature.

I. Picked up some brass stock from hardware store About 1/8 or so and the two longest sections they had . With a couple homemade ones and OG. as patterns ( shorter) I had at it
IMG_20200106_064516.jpg

Latest posts

Back