Prepper Bug out Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are pretty savvy here. What have you put together as your end of the world as we know it bike. The one you will go to as your primary mode of transportation if gas no longer becomes readily available. I am not a pepper beyond being ready for a natural catastrophe (probably earthquake around here), but recently had a conversation with a friend who is and the thought about the perfect bike became intriguing. He has bought a mid priced mass produced mountain bike just for this purpose. I debated with him the challenges a suspension fork might have but he is satisfied with his purchase.

i determined a well built steel fully rigid 29er mountain bike would be the best choice. With a decent rack front and rear. 1 X 8 drive train as a compromise between minimizing parts (and wear) along with having the ability to haul heavy loads. Steel because it is easier to work on or adjust the rear spacing to fit available hubs. 29 because if you are hard up for a rear wheel you can always put a 26 on a 29 but not the other way around. Rim brakes to eliminate any hydraulic issues (although a disk mount on the front would be nice to have just in case). Something you could put any wheel/tire combo available on. A little more, but curious to hear what you guys come up with.

I know most of us have plenty of spare parts to last a few lifetimes but hey, that might be used as our trading fodder.

I'd go 26", they've been making them by the millions for nearly a century and every place that sells bikes and every other dusty garage has them. Otherwise, same. Rigid mtb.

Never thought of a bike as prepping material, but the logic has merit. I would probably lean more towards a single speed but steel for sure and no suspension fork. A nice rigid 26 or 29" bike with hydraulic disks would be my choice, but then again Im spoiled on em and the seem to require way less maintenance then their antiquated cousin. This is kinda like the "one gun" discussion though except "one bike" I guess it mostly depends on you.

I'd ditch the hydraulics for cable disks-easier to work on in the advent of the zombie apocalypse. Also, lay in a big supply of brake pads...

There's always Randy's build...complete with can of Alpo. :D

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/post-apocolypse-bike.92595/

P1310581.JPG

Last edited:
I'd go 26 as well, parts aplenty. Rigid frame and fork. Steel, probably CroMo. Single speed, disk brakes most likely.
Of course there'd be some frame mods.

I'd go with a rigid Young Adult frame (reinforced with gussets as I wish), sturdy 20" rims and hybrid tires, sturdy single-speed with BMX-quality chain, add a single-wheeled trailer made from two front forks and some reinforcing gussets ( =------= ) and i'm ready!

Why the modified YA frame? Well, the smaller frame is more easily loaded into a vehicle if I get lucky with a meet-up, the 20" wheels are amazingly sturdy(and are shared by both the bike and the trailer) and for some reason all of the bikes in this neck of the woods-that make it into the flea markets and/or dumpsters-appear to be kid's frames, meaning I can find replacement rims, chains, tires and tubes at will in a longer-term crisis...

Latest posts

Back