Practice Makes Perfect AKA Baby Blue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up on a 25"/63cm 1974 Schwinn Le Tour (fabbed 11/73, one of the first model/year made) Le Tours Monday evening via CL and a kind young man who was willing to wheel and deal a bit. It just so happened to be Opaque Blue, the same color as Blue Dream. Perfect frameset to practice with for my BO15 bike. It had been used and abused quite a bit compared to Blue Deam, but is straight and I love those 63cm Panasonic Schwinn frames for fixed gear conversions. They have just the right amount of ride quality for my purposes. I had a wheelset and a few other parts ready for this eventuality, so it was a quick resto/swap that involved mostly cleaning/polishing. The strangest thing found was new grease on top of 1974 crusty grease in the headset, DERP. I'll be ordering some Wald 815 bars to replace the cruddy black steel ones on there and get a set of decent black grips. Other than that, she's a roller already.
BabyBlue1.jpg

BabyBlue2.jpg

I love irony, a first model/year Panasonic that was sold in Chicago. Normally shop stickers go in my world, but this one stays.

Do any of you Chicago folks remember Jefferson Park Cyclery?

Last edited:
Nice! looking at this 1984 Suteki track 10. It is local and was built for Sears by Panasonic. Have not seen real good pics yet but I understand they came with Shimano 600 gear Shimano Tourney brakes and cool Shimano Adamas pedals.
tim-suteki-track-10-speed-01.jpg

looks like this pic but dirty, :)

Undeniable quality in those frames.

From their website:

Panasonic bikes hiding behind other labels…

You may be surprised to learn that Schwinn, Raleigh, Royce Union, Suteki, Centurion and other labels all at one time or another had Panasonic built bicycles wearing their badges. Schwinn’s very first outsourced bikes back in the early 70s were built by Panasonic. These were the “World” bikes such as the World Traveller and World Voyager. Later on in the 70s, Schwinn made a deal with Panasonic to build the LeTour model which would become the second most popular model for Schwinn in the 1970s.

I came up on a 25"/63cm 1974 Schwinn Le Tour (fabbed 11/73, one of the first model/year made) Le Tours Monday evening via CL and a kind young man who was willing to wheel and deal a bit. It just so happened to be Opaque Blue, the same color as Blue Dream. Perfect frameset to practice with for my BO15 bike. It had been used and abused quite a bit compared to Blue Deam, but is straight and I love those 63cm Panasonic Schwinn frames for fixed gear conversions. They have just the right amount of ride quality for my purposes. I had a wheelset and a few other parts ready for this eventuality, so it was a quick resto/swap that involved mostly cleaning/polishing. The strangest thing found was new grease on top of 1974 crusty grease in the headset, DERP. I'll be ordering some Wald 815 bars to replace the cruddy black steel ones on there and get a set of decent black grips. Other than that, she's a roller already.
View attachment 121776
View attachment 121777

I love irony, a first model/year Panasonic that was sold in Chicago. Normally shop stickers go in my world, but this one stays.

Do any of you Chicago folks remember Jefferson Park Cyclery?
That is WAAAAAY bigger than 63cm.

It looks like a 68cm.
20190617_185914.jpg

Latest posts

Back