PPE for bike building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of school did you attend?
b4c110475407a2d0f3bb5a3f16c6956b.jpg

:blush:

On a recent trip to an auto parts store the woman ahead of me in checkout was buying some taillight bulbs. After I was checked out and leaving the store I saw her in the parking lot, hatch up, staring at her phone, and wearing latex gloves. My first thought was "Lose the gloves" immediately followed by "No, leave them on, your doing good". :thumbsup:

...take a piece of wood you need to put a hole in, sit in on your lap, then drill through it into your leg.
Ah yes... the mistakes you only make once. I have several of those. The good thing is if you survive the Once, you're home free. My most recent was attempting to put a solar filter on the eyepiece of a telescope instead of over the lens and pointing it at the sun. It burned a hole in the filter in half a second. Luckily it was the half second BEFORE I put my eye to the eyepiece and not after.

What kind of school did you attend?
View attachment 154593

:blush:
Had to look up the cultural implications of what I've just learned is "riding the short bus" to figure out what you were implying. Was pretty confident it wasn't going to be anything good.

In AUS, when I was in school, there wasn't any school busses, short or long. Just had to ride the city bus, learning disabilities and all.

Top to bottom, right?

My hair is usually short, but most often I wear a cap just to keep flying debris out of my hair.

Shop Glasses for anything where debris may be flying, power tools or not (punches/chisels, etc.). I found a set of shop glasses during my recent road trip on the Devou Park trails in Covington, KY so my scratched up ones are retired.

Hearing Protection for just about anything with a whir, bang or clang anymore. The VA is paying me 10% for tinnitus and it's real. For irony's sake, I wear my USAF issue headset when needed.

Mask, whenever running my wire/polishing wheel and when painting, wear a proper respirator.

Shop apron, always when using the polishing wheel and sometimes when cleaning parts.

Shirt, usually cotton short sleeve tshirt or when using the polishing wheel, long sleeve cotton (never with loose cuffs though).

Gloves, chemical gloves when dealing with methylethylbadshiznit, nitrile sometimes and Mechanix Wear for dismantling grimy bikes/components.

Long pants in Winter or when dealing with the grimiest jobs (polishing wheel, etc.), otherwise Carhartt shorts.

Shoes, whatever gives full coverage. I've dropped too many things onto bare feet over the years.

Wear all the usual stuff, but gloves. For me, gloves just get it the way.
I have started to wear knee pads, mostly to keep from grinding more holes in my jeans. Knee pads do help when kneeling on a tiny rock on the concrete.

My hair is usually short, but most often I wear a cap just to keep flying debris out of my hair.

I have a shaved head, but have caught my beard on fire while welding more times than I can count :giggle:

Latest posts

Back