powder coating question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once a frame is powder coated, can it be stripped, and how easy is it? I have a frame powder coated, and would like to change the color. Thanks for your help, Dave.

Once a frame is powder coated, can it be stripped, and how easy is it? I have a frame powder coated, and would like to change the color. Thanks for your help, Dave.
You can strip it mechanically, with the wire brush. Prepare for having a lot of nasty smelling polymer dust.
I am not sure if it can be done chemically, but normal paint striper probably won't work.

Powder coating can be baked off, stripped off chemically using MEK, or taken off manually. Now depending on how good of a PC job it is will affect the outcome.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/m.e.k.-methyl-ethyl-ketone

I've had a crap PC job that was quite "soft" by PC standards actually media blasted off and it came out stripped just like paint would

Thanks for the responses, I’m going to contact the original powder coater and see what they suggest.

Latest posts

Back