Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are really rockin on this. And the parts just seem to present themselves. You will be done soon. Is there a deadline on this build? Be Well, SS.

You are really rockin on this. And the parts just seem to present themselves. You will be done soon. Is there a deadline on this build? Be Well, SS.
Thanks! I hope I'll be done soon; there's still a number of parts that need to be fabricated, and so far, I haven't been able to get in touch with my neighbor to see if he can help. Hopefully I can overcome these last few hurdles soon. I've got the same deadline as everyone else in the Muscle Bike/BMX Bike Build Off: January 15th.

Well, I struck out a bit today. I met up with a guy on FB Marketplace who had some fenders that I thought would work, but they turned out to have too small of a radius for these fat bike tires. I checked out a local motorcycle salvage and repair shop, and while there were a couple fenders that could work, neither matched, and they were far out of my price range.

Still, during both instances, I got a bunch of compliments and "I want to see it when you finish it"s from the folks who saw the trike as I was hauling it around. So, no luck finding the fenders I need, but I at least got some positive responses to what I'm doing.

I'm still looking for a matching pair of motorcycle fenders on Marketplace and Craigslist, as well as any place that salvages or parts out motorcycles. Hopefully something will come up.

I'm still looking for a matching pair of motorcycle fenders on Marketplace and Craigslist, as well as any place that salvages or parts out motorcycles. Hopefully something will come up.

Do you have a certain size or type of fender you're interested in? I can check my sources

Do you have a certain size or type of fender you're interested in? I can check my sources
I'm looking for something that can fit over a 30" diameter and 5" wide tire with between 1" to 2" of room to spare between the fender and tire. I'm looking for a matching pair of steel or aluminum ducktail/dovetail fenders, preferably not bobbed, and with as few mounting holes to fill as possible. I'm not picky on year/make/manufacturer or paint. As long as they're fairly straight and rust-free, I'm good. I just don't want to spend more than $50 if I can. I have a few things I'd trade too, if need be. I have a strong feeling that most of the budget for this trike is going to be spent fabricating the whole rear section of the trike, and modifying whatever else needs it.
Heritage_Style_Fender_fur_Harley_FXR_2.jpg
s-l640.jpg
SS-18-6-Inch-Stretch.jpg
unnamed.jpg

You won't get a ducktail, but trailer fenders are usually fairly cheap and come in many sizes.
Yeah, I've looked at trailer fenders too, but most of the ones I've seen on FB Marketplace and Craigslist are a bit too flat for the look I'm going for. I also want to minimize the amount of cutting/welding needed to make the parts and pieces work if I can.

Dude, that is NICE! I might have to get that at some point!
What point would that be? At that price I'd get it just to try. It can also be painted with fabric paints. There's a white seat. Was going to suggest a high back bucket used on recumbent. I like the comfy bench idea best. You're gonna have to add a lot of filler to make a banana feel good seated all the time.

What point would that be? At that price I'd get it just to try. It can also be painted with fabric paints. There's a white seat. Was going to suggest a high back bucket used on recumbent. I like the comfy bench idea best. You're gonna have to add a lot of filler to make a banana feel good seated all the time.
I'm refraining from buying it because I don't want to spend money on parts I may or may not use, and because I'm probably not going with my original bench seat idea. I've got a budget I'm trying to stick to, and I don't want to buy any new parts until I know for sure that they'll make the final cut for this build.

The banana seat idea I showed earlier is really just a small part of a bigger seat. I'll still sit on a bench seat of sorts, but... well, I'm going to try drawing these ideas soon, so you'll see what I'm thinking.

I'm refraining from buying it because I don't want to spend money on parts I may or may not use, and because I'm probably not going with my original bench seat idea. I've got a budget I'm trying to stick to, and I don't want to buy any new parts until I know for sure that they'll make the final cut for this build.

The banana seat idea I showed earlier is really just a small part of a bigger seat. I'll still sit on a bench seat of sorts, but... well, I'm going to try drawing these ideas soon, so you'll see what I'm thinking.
Wasn't aware you had other plans.
I hear ya tho. I buy interesting stuff just to have around. Everything gets used or parts of eventually... Find it useful to have a variety of parts to play with. Seem to always get my money's worth.

Wasn't aware you had other plans.
I hear ya tho. I buy interesting stuff just to have around. Everything gets used or parts of eventually... Find it useful to have a variety of parts to play with. Seem to always get my money's worth.
I get it, but I unfortunately don't have quite the same mentality, or less, that same luxury. I can't afford to spend money on things I may or may not use, as I've been out of work for most of the year, with only the occasional odd job or Craigslist/Marketplace sale to bring in some cash. Plus, I just simply don't like collecting stuff like I used to as a teen. It feels like a burden having to make room for and keep track of stuff I may never use.

With a trike like yours I could see myself using it to chill on, watch movies etc. A sturdy backing would also provide more leverage during pedaling. From what I see it doesn't appear to be overly heavy. Good you have some sort of fenders in mind. Something I was wondering about earlier.

Well, progress has slowed down somewhat. I've been sketching different ideas for the rear portion of the trike, but it's tough to figure out with that temporary frame in the way of a proper parts mockup. I'll share those sketches when I've got things mostly figured out.

Meanwhile, there was a motorcycle swap meet I went to earlier this morning, where I once again struck out on finding a set of rear fenders that both fit over the rear tires and were in my price range. I would've stuck around to get photos of all the cool stuff that was for sale, but I just wanted to get out of there and go home.

I did however get a new front tire and tube to go with the new front wheel I got earlier this week. I wish it matched the rear tires a little better, but I'm content with my choice. I like the proportions at least, and the trike's a roller now too, which is good. I still have one last idea for fenders, but if that doesn't pan out, then I might have to find a fabrication shop to make the fenders along with the other remaining custom parts.
BFtD_Poison_Apple42.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple43.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple45.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple44.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple46.jpg

Try as I may, I can't stop thinking of ways to make this build more complicated for the sake of aesthetics. My original idea was to just shave the top of the seat pole and weld a tank over the frame, but I just didn't like the rake of the fork, nor the seat tube and original top tube interrupting the lines of the overall design. So, in an effort to streamline the design and make my trike look even more chopper-inspired, I removed the seat tube and original top tube, and slanted the headset back a few degrees.
Stretching it_1.jpg

I'm thinking of adding either a Mattel V-RROOM! motor or a Sears Hot Rod Twin Fire motor to help fill the void, but I don't know the dimensions of either, or how much it'd cost to get one for that matter. I'm hoping someone here or on The CABE could answer that for me.
searsmotor5.jpg

My biggest concern, however, is how this idea would affect the structural integrity of my trike. I'm hoping my plans to sit over the rear axle, and therefor take most of the weight off the bike frame, plus welding a new solid cantilever-style tank and top tube will help compensate for the lack of a seat tube. I'm no engineer though, so what are your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back