Plating / anodizing query

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So I have this awesome aluminum Silver King frame, since I'm not a purist by any means (born in the year of the RAT as if that's any indication...) and this frame has had some repair work done to it already. I'm curious if this idea that came to mind is doable.
I think I want to have the tubes on the frame anodized, but not the cast parts. I've never seen it done, and I have no clue if they can do a partial anodizing or not. I'm hoping the cast parts; head tube, and rear triangle including the seat mount and BB, could be masked off. Leaving the two top tubes, the down tube and seat tube, to be anodized. I'm also dreaming of a copper/bronze color or a brass/golden plate look.

Carl.

Ive never seen anodizing to be able to be applied in spot area, its a submersion application as far as I know.

Ive had good luck with automotive clear coat sprayed from a gun, with pearl added. If you do your final sand on aluminum and keep it wet with panel prep until you spray. It prevents the almost instant oxidation thats inherent with aluminum. Be happy to talk more about it. I buy the pearl from ebay for a few bucks a bag.

Copper pearl and a little maroon in clear, shot a lot of coats, over bare steel.
20171029_140147.jpg

Pink pearl in clear over bare aluminum.
20170409_193459.jpg

Considering the way that anodizing is done, to mask parts out you would need to cover them with something that is at same time: does not conduct electricity, is completely liquid-proof, can stand heating up to 100+ celsius, does not dissolve in acid. Only thing i can come up with is silicone. I guess it worth trying, there are plenty of DIY anodization video manuals on youtube. But that would be a rather difficult and unpredictable process.

Couldn't you anodize the whole thing and paint over/sand off the parts you want another color/natural?

I would think a thick clear coat may protect parts from not anodizing, you might try on a test piece to prove it out, once you get the process down.

Building..... Riding.....

Couldn't you anodize the whole thing and paint over/sand off the parts you want another color/natural?

That’s what I’m thinking, anodizing removes pretty easily with oven cleaner.

You can use rubber and plastic plugs/covers. There are specialized tapes and masking 'paints' as well. Just talk to your anodizer, and they should have solutions...though, I think the Duchess suggestion of anodize all and strip what you don't want anodized is more than valid. Cast parts don't usually anodize well, anyway.

Jason

Thanks guys. Ya'all validated what I've been thinking. (at least no one said I was crazy) I've got a line on a chrome guy up north that does anodizing too. Just gotta get a chance to get up there with my friend to introduce me. Come on January 1, I want to start polishing this frame up for the WBO.

Carl.

Also, thanks for all the input. But you guys who suggested paint... It's an aluminum Silver King man.
KIMG1670.JPG

It's sacrilegious to even think of painting it. If I even tried anodizing it a color that wasn't a metal somebody will try to commit me. They may try anyway. :crazy:

Carl.

Latest posts

Back