Pipe Smokers Unite! (Tobacco Pipes!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know what your thinking....... some code for the illegal stuff! It isn't. I'm a pipe smoker and have been for about 3 years now. I find it relaxing, especially to sit around a campfire smoking my pipe. The amount of different tobacco blends out there is staggering and I enjoy trying different blends as well.

I also clean up and gift as well as resell estate pipes. If you don't think there is a market for this sort of thing...... take a look on ebay at the thousands listed and selling (some for quite a bit) there every day.

Another facet of pipes is the making of them. I've begun to actually handcraft pipes. There are no factory made machines or tools specifically made for pipe making, so I make a lot of my own, or adapt other tools and machines to this use.

This is also a plus when it comes to building bikes, as I can adapt some of the same tools to building custom bikes, or hope that I can anyway. I have lathes, a drill press, sanders and such that can all be used on both.

Anyway, the main point of this post you make ask.................... The Duke asked if I could show some of my pipe work that I've done, so thought I'd do it for him, and maybe even interest others as well. Never know where there might be a pipe smoker hiding, or even someone interested in giving the pipe a try.

Some of my work: (There isn't much yet)

Here is a pipe/tamper set that I made for a friend.
DSC07494.jpg

Another I made recently.
DSC07907.jpg

This is the most recent one, Made it on a trip to Phoenix to learn from a true pipe maker.
DSC08104.jpg

Awesome! 8) Love the natural wood look!Will PM about diffrent blends! Use to enjoy cherry but found a blend from here in So_Or.!
L8 EM

Those pipes look great! I've thought about getting a pipe but just havn't come across one. I quit cigarettes 3 years ago but I still get cigars now and then. One of my favorites are Black & Mild, those are pipe tobaco too. I've also found a piece of dark chocolate goes good with a cigar, so does cold beer or coffee. Enjoy by a campfire :D

Well if anyone could use a pipe to give it a try, or looking to purchase one, just let me know........ I have many to offer....... And I'm still tooling up to be able to make better pipes with less work involved.

Thanks for the comments too.

What kind of wood works best to make them from? I enjoy a nice cigar, though I get to hear about it for the next day (how much I stink, how "gross" they are, yadda, yadda.... :roll: )

I'd like to try a pipe, they always smell nice and make you look real smart-like when you stand and put the tip in your mouth with your arms crossed.....say....hmmmmmm.....very interesting....hmmmmm....

I might need one of those coats with the elbow patches too....hmmmm....professor skoda, that sounds important and stuff...

I make pipes. My pipes are made of stone and are copies of Native American smoking pipes from long ago. I don't smoke myself, and have never smoked any of these, but have sold many of them to collectors of Native American artifacts.

This is a platform pipe made of red granite. Platform pipes were used by the Hopewell culture in the Midwest from about 100BC until around 200AD.
IMG_0144.jpg

Another platform made from Illinois pipestone. Pipestone is a type of indurated clay found in deposits near major rivers.
Ill_pipestone.jpg

This platform pipe is an effigy of a river otter. It has fresh waters shell for eyes. Made of black steatite...not sure where the steatite came from on this one.
IMG_0400.jpg

This is a typical "T" pipe. Also called a "peace pipe". It is made of Minnesota pipestone, also called "Catlinite". The stem is made of Staghorn Sumac, which is very easy to hollow out.
MVC-800S.jpg

This is a sphinx pipe I carved from dendritic steatite from Montana. I drilled it out so that smoke can come out of the Pharoh's mouth if you put your finger over the bowl and blow smoke from your lungs. 8)
IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

The main tool I use to carve stone is a Dremel and diamond burrs and wheels. I've done lots of lapidary work and like stone as it will outlast most other materials. B607

Emsbikes078-1.jpg

This is my only pipe.(right now!) Spent alot a computer tire researching and the tips I learned were great. Did'nt realize the science to it! Use'd the proper technique to pack the tabacco and enjoyed for an hour!(watching Kimmell) Going to the smoke shop in a bit to see what they got! I'm hooked! Almost bought a lot of pipes on the bay last night! :roll: As I educate myself I'll try to add more to this topic. Also-I'm partial to wood pipes,but B607-That Pharoh pipe is wicked! :wink:
L8 EM

Skoda, while all the tobacco pipes in my pictures are made from Briar (Wood Root ball from the Mediteranean countries) they can also be made from numerous other woods, such as Walnut Cherry, Hickory, Meerschaum and even the trusty old Corn Cob. (There are other materials as well.) As for making you look smarter, I like the way you think, but there are many that probably don't. I to also enjoy cigars.

B607, I really like your work. Some fine work there and I really like the platform pipes. Some nice designs there for sure. What ever got you started making stone pipes if you don't smoke any of them? I have some pipe stone and wasn't sure how to go about carving it myself..... I'd like to use it to make a tamper for pipes. One other question, what kind of $$ do you get for your work? That Peace Pipe looks very interesting.

My Father smoked pipes when I was younger. I think he sold them all at a yard sale.I enjoy a good cigar now and again but have never really smoked a pipe.
I used to have a neighbor, a Native American from Minnesota who carved pipestone as his sole income. Both of you guys are gifted artists. Really nice work.

tikiharl said:
Both of you guys are gifted artists. Really nice work.
SO TRUE!!
My Father was also a pipe smoker and though the smell from some of his 'blends' was nothing short of beautifull...i have never smoked....one tobacco was called ''borcum rift'?? wow it smelt good :lol: But never tempted...i think its a dying art i'm afraid.

smokindawg said:
B607, I really like your work. Some fine work there and I really like the platform pipes. Some nice designs there for sure. What ever got you started making stone pipes if you don't smoke any of them? I have some pipe stone and wasn't sure how to go about carving it myself..... I'd like to use it to make a tamper for pipes. One other question, what kind of $$ do you get for your work? That Peace Pipe looks very interesting.

I've collected Indian arrowheads for years. I found lots of broken stuff and would look at it and think how good it would have looked when new. I started chipping arrowheads in '85 and later started making other items like pipes. I do other lapidary work too and like working with stone. I sold the otter pipe for $150 and $175 for the granite pipe. I still have the other two.
B607

I almost bought a corncob pipe at a flea market a couple months ago, but I forgot to go back and get it. Been thinking about getting a pipe for a year or so. I'd like something in a nice deep cherry color. My stepfather smoked pipes and I liked the smell of his cherry-flavored tobacco growing up. I'd probably try something like that if I get a pipe.

I currently smoke clove cigarettes a few times a year when out drinking or at a party.

So I've been lurking but not contributing much. The 2 bike's I had going are on hold for warmer painting weather. Due to lack of finances my B.A.D. has been satisfied by P.A.D.! I'm mainly picking up Dr.Grabow's.I have a couple of Cobb's and a Strambach Meer.Thought I'd show them off-

EmsPipes.jpg

EmsPipes005.jpg

Then for Christmas I recieved this beauty. A Ben Wade hand model-my most expensive and the closest to the work of Smokingdawg-
EmsPipes006.jpg

EmsPipes007.jpg

EmsPipes008.jpg

I've yet to smoke it since I have to smoke outside and it's so cold! The bowl's at least 2in deep so I'm guessing on a 1.5-2hr smoke! :shock: I have 4 more pipe's coming in anyday now. :roll:
I've got it bad now!

L8 EM

... Idk what it is. I like cigars.. But ive been wanting 2 try smoking a pipe for awhile.. Idk. I just turned 18, smoke a pretty funky cigar tonight, made my feel light headed and my tongue felt fuzzy.. I normally smoke b&m wine or vanilla. I bought a gold n mild tonight.. it was okay, then my friends dad gave me that sick cigar haha. It was like when you goto some1's house for dinner but dont want to be rude and not finish.. I kinda wish i wouldnt have smoked the cigar but whatever lol. :p I wanna try cherry pipe tobacco. :p We'll see.

ricksterr1221 said:
... :p I wanna try cherry pipe tobacco. :p
I would'nt recomend that to start-might make your face like this: :oops: . I'd get a pouch of Prince Albert and a cheap Cobb and go from there. Google 'pipe smoking tip's' and you'll find some good tutorial's on the proper tecniques! 8)

Latest posts

Back