Picked up a Sears Screamer today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found him today on eBay actually, thanks for that. Not gonna lie, it's been a rough night messing with it. It's pretty .... close to the parting out stage, it's just about beyond crusty and my skill level. May need to take a step back and just hang it up for a while and think it over. Kind of bummed, maybe just a bad night to mess with it, these nights come around once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Moo, you're facing a hard truth: Murray and Huffy chrome was crap. So, after almost 50 years, often it's just junk. The gorgeous examples that you've seen are fully restored, meaning they have often be re-chromed. It's not a cheap process, and often it's done for love, not for financial gain, because you can quickly outspend the worth of a bike in just chrome cost.

But the results can't be argued with.

Throw it in a tub of de-rusting stuff, hit it with some chrome polish and call it good. It'll make a pretty nice partial 'restoration' and you wont be afraid to ride it.
That there is some good advice!

Any progress? Don't give up. It's gonna be a cool ride.

I actually may be trading someone who has more time to mess with it. If it falls through, I plan to buy a 5 gallon bucket of evaporust and get going. I'm ok with it either way but it will be a slow process if I'm in charge of it. Appreciate the encouragement from everyone!

Well, a conclusion to the story. I ended up selling the bike to a guy down by St Louis who's brother had one growing up. He plans to restore it and give it to him and he's been looking for one for a while. He's super excited and I feel good about it. I think the better owner ended up with it honestly. I don't think l would have restored it to completion which is exactly what he plans to do. In a strange turn of events, I sold my orange krate this weekend too. But, I just purchased my first vintage bmx bike, picking that up Saturday. More on that to come. I'll probably regret getting rid of the Screamer but again, it went to a good home.

I sold mine this week too. Also bought a BMX. Weird. I bought a 1987 Hanter Attack. What'd you get?

I sold mine this week too. Also bought a BMX. Weird. I bought a 1987 Hanter Attack. What'd you get?
'86 Diamondback Hot Streak. I'll update the bmx forum when I actually get it.

Edit: guess its actually a Viper but still cool as heck as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Got it home today, pretty excited about this one too. Rides great, just needs some cleaning but it's a great survivor. I'll start a new post about it later.

3e899c59622c20fc074c03c700ce263a.jpg

Latest posts

Back