Picked up a Sears Screamer today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Traded into this Sears Screamer today, wanted one for a while but the prices are crazy and out of my range typically. A guy offered it up as a trade on a bike I had for sale along with two other frames and a few other parts. It is ROUGH but it's mine and a lot will clean up decently. I'm ready to get to work on it, parts for these seem to be worse than Stingray parts though. Oh well, happy to own one, time to get to it!
ad76a6a24fa21cfe7e4b300a29f19111.jpg

f1318ca7477f5e33414ccfc26585718d.jpg

38ca3acc8f9021bfbe60f59ab6533f61.jpg

That couldn't have been too comfortable to ride with the sissy bar on backwards.
I don't know why most bikes I buy lately have them on backwards, I suppose kids like to mess with things. It's gonna take a lot of elbow grease but I think it will clean up reasonably well over all.

You have most of the hard parts to find. The sissy bar is correct but it is missing the cups and Springs. The shifter has the knobs which are hard to find. The front fender might be harder to find. You might have to buy a fork with one and sell the fork. How is the seat? Any cuts or missing chunks of foam? I see the seat reflector is missing a side reflector. How is the plastic case on the seat. Another hard part to find. Keep a eye out on Ebay for gold handlebar tape being sold by a seller called Benzo I don't know the rest of his name. He is from Canada and that tape is as close to Hunt Wilde gold tape as you can get. Plus much cheaper. Pagan Gold is the frame color if you are painting it. When I started collecting this was my first bike. I had 4 in short order all in pieces...lol

Looks like a nice project Moo! It has a lot of the hard to find parts as Jaxon said, so finding the rest of the parts may be easy and cheap!

I have had a few of those shifters apart and have had luck restoring them. I can help get you decals made if you want to go that route, I have a reproduction set of decals for the shifter from way back in the day when I think Charlie Arthur (I think that was his name) in FL did some. I can have Bruce Crawford recreate them for you.

Coolest thing is, you have what looks like a Murray Eliminator F-5 in the second picture! An equally cool bike!

You have most of the hard parts to find. The sissy bar is correct but it is missing the cups and Springs. The shifter has the knobs which are hard to find. The front fender might be harder to find. You might have to buy a fork with one and sell the fork. How is the seat? Any cuts or missing chunks of foam? I see the seat reflector is missing a side reflector. How is the plastic case on the seat. Another hard part to find. Keep a eye out on Ebay for gold handlebar tape being sold by a seller called Benzo I don't know the rest of his name. He is from Canada and that tape is as close to Hunt Wilde gold tape as you can get. Plus much cheaper. Pagan Gold is the frame color if you are painting it. When I started collecting this was my first bike. I had 4 in short order all in pieces...lol
Seat is in good shape, a few very small chunks missing at the very bottom but barely noticeable, plastic case behind is not cracked and the rear reflector is there but the chrome is bubbling. I was really hoping to swap everything over to the bottom frame but unfortunately it's been welded on at the rear dropouts. So painting it is a possibility but may work it over with some 00 steel wool and see where it ends up. The chrome will clean up respectively I think, just some heavy surface rust. Pulled the bars last night to get a start on the right side. I'll probably sell some extra parts to fund as I go but I still have the orange krate I'm working on[emoji15] .
cf802d402d38091dd8b522af874f97b2.jpg

Looks like a nice project Moo! It has a lot of the hard to find parts as Jaxon said, so finding the rest of the parts may be easy and cheap!

I have had a few of those shifters apart and have had luck restoring them. I can help get you decals made if you want to go that route, I have a reproduction set of decals for the shifter from way back in the day when I think Charlie Arthur (I think that was his name) in FL did some. I can have Bruce Crawford recreate them for you.

Coolest thing is, you have what looks like a Murray Eliminator F-5 in the second picture! An equally cool bike!
The second bike I plan on using a few parts from as it's quite a bit cleaner, haven't looked it over really, has a funky little shifter though, don't know much about it. It does have a headbadge, didn't think it was a Murray but I'll check it out tonight. Was planning on getting what I need off of it and moving those frames down the line, we'll have to see where this all leads me. Trying to restore a '68 Krate and a Screamer may end up bankrupting me [emoji3] .

, has a funky little shifter though, don't know much about it.

That is a Huret shifter. That funky thing is worth 100 complete. Is the case broken or cracked. It is missing the black shifter knob.

, has a funky little shifter though, don't know much about it.

That is a Huret shifter. That funky thing is worth 100 complete. Is the case broken or cracked. It is missing the black shifter knob.
You guys all have too much knowledge[emoji3] . I traded for this stuff in the rain, basically gave him my bike, tossed the three in the car and was on my way. Had a party to go to when I got home and then company after that. I obviously don't even know what I have. I just know enough to know I'm "safe" in a deal but you all are amazing. I'll take a picture when I get home and look it over, thanks!

Yup, that funky little shifter is a big ticket item as Jaxon said. That is the Murray Dyna Shift shifter. Used on the F Series Murray Eliminator.

The covers are always missing from those. Having the cover is a big deal! Bruce Crawford (the decal guy everyone uses haha, he gets mentioned a lot!) has the decals for them.

The cover is just plain chromed plastic, so it is an easy restoration for one if you have the cover. The insides are just a Huret downtube 5-Speed shifter, but the handle has a hole drilled in it for a knob. The knobs were sort of fragile and broke a lot, so you see these missing the knobs all the time.

Ok, last thing for this...oddly, a Green Leaf (I think that is the name?) kickstand end works really well as a replacement knob for these shifters.

Last edited:
Oh, one last last thing...if the head badge is a nice Murray Eliminator badge, that could bring some nice money too if you sold it, and help fund your project.

Last edited:
Oh, one last last thing...if the head badge is a nice Murray Eliminator bade, that could bring come nice money too if you sold it, and help fund your project.
Is the rear wheel the same on both bikes? The wheel on the Murray seems to be the better of the two, was hoping to swap it over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That shifter still has some value though, I bet you could sell that for some funds if you wanted.

That bike is a Qualifier I believe, that is the Sportcrest name for the bikes...

The handlebar tape is sold by benzo_one on Ebay. The listing says
Vintage handlebar tape gold flake with cap. It is 24 dollars a roll. You need one roll for each side. You can use just one roll if you start half way up the handlebars

Latest posts

Back