PhantomBantam

Discussion in 'RR KID BIKE BUILD OFF' started by KOTA, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tartosuc

tartosuc

0   0   0

looks like itr could be a burrito bike for kids... :D

2. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Yes, the seat will be in front of the seat tube (which is only 11 inches long). Just didn't fabricate a mount yet (snowing! :roll: ). ....And by the way, Kenny, "Thanks", for the inspiration!

Some kid's gonna like it (I hope!). I won't be able to try it, unless I have a Chiropractor on each side of me, and an ambulance in my driveway! :lol:

3. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

0   0   0

a burrito kids' meal... i love it... :mrgreen:

--rick

4. GIMPYBMXER

GIMPYBMXER

0   0   0

oh my GOD.......... that thing is SICK.......... it looks like there should be a slight bend in the upper tube tho, like maybe off the stem come out a little more straight and THEN bend down to the seat tube, not much but just keep it it from being a solid straight line. IM WAY JEALOUS.... im on the hunt for a bike like that now!!!!!! are you using conduit???

5. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Thanks for the compliments and the advice, I'm going to try to draw something up in "Paint", so far just winging it. And yes it's just conduit, some like it, some don't. I've used it before, just gotta be careful bending. It works for me. I Used a conduit bender, probably the most exspensive hand tool I have. :lol: :lol:

6. TheDuke

TheDuke

0   0   0

Love it so far! Wish I lived closer....I'd like to test pilot it! :lol: 8) 8) 8) :wink:
    L8 EM

7. GIMPYBMXER

GIMPYBMXER

0   0   0

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU GOTTA BE CAREFULL BENDING????? DOES IT SPLIT OR SOMETHING???

8. xddorox

xddorox

0   0   0

The kid will need another bike just to get from the seat to the handle bars. :D Looks very cool.

9. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Saturday night (3/1) still trying to figure final design! Still out in the cold!, Still using tape to hold everything in place! I think this is it. Now to finish "trimming" the ends of the tubing, and weld everything in place.

[​IMG]

Well actually, I'am watching TV in my living room, while I mock this thing up, there just isn't enough room to get a good angle for a pic. So I just moved it to the deck. I still have to run outside to use the cutting wheel (to many "sparks" in the living room). Gotta love my wife, she just had rotator cuff surgery, a few days ago. Working in the living room, we can still keep each other "company". :wink:

10. Schwinnspastic

Schwinnspastic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

"that is sick" you could make a mini tandem outa that stretch..... 8) 8)

11. sensor

sensor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

looks good so far! yeah i forgot that its a 20" cuz it looked real long :oops:

12. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

One more version, glad I didn't weld anything yet. Waiting for a neighborhood "kid" to see where placement of pedals will be. Handle bars will be slightly extended, about 3 inches. This will be a "kids" bike (12-13 yrs old), or a small adult.

[​IMG]

Neighbors' son came by today, he is 5"6', TO TALL! This bike will be perfect for someone around 5" - 5"2'.

13. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

I got a chance to work with my son this weekend! We got to welding, we tacked everything in place, then checked our measurements (alignment) and welded everything solid. The bars were extended 5 inches, bottom bracket came from an old girls BMX, along with the tires and rims, (the originals were flat). We used every part of the Bantam frame, except the seat tube (after all the cutting and fab it was just easier to make a new one).

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seat post is just a little "stub". Rivets on "LowRider emblem" on end of banana seat will be removed and "longer" rivets used to secure end of seat to welded strip on seat tube.

[​IMG]
    This is the results, so far. Now the finish (body work) can start!...... No, It's not gonna have PINK rims!
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like next to a full size bike.
    [​IMG]

14. Uncle Stretch

Uncle Stretch Moderator

0   0   0

Man I wish I had a tig welder....or knew how to use one. They sure make some nice welds. Project looks super so far. :D

15. ratina

ratina

0   0   0

That is sweet! I really want a burrito!

16. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

what are you using?

Nice job on the Bantam. The stretch look good. I like how you used the cut out bar in the frame.

17. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Well if ya make one, don't make it to LONG! The longer it is, the more room you need to turn it around. Unless of course, if you have an ON/OFF ramp on your street. Will let you know how this size handles. :lol:

18. Keoki_D

Keoki_D

0   0   0

that bike is suuuper siiiiick......wow! are you gonna paint it and all that? or you leaving it ratty?

19. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Haven't decided yet! .......Flat or shiney?

[​IMG]

She is now "machanically" done! Pedals smooth and "sweet"! Me very, very happy! (Me very, very LUCKY!)

20. maddogrider

maddogrider

0   0   0

Shiny paint , with all those bends that would look cool 8) i,m with uncle stretch on the tig weld looks good. I use a wire fed arch welder.