Peach Capital Historic Tour By Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I copied Dangratsdan's idea and took a ride around my city (a suburb of Wichita) which at one time was the "Peach Capital of Kansas". My neighborhood like many others is built on what used to be peach orchards. I have spent most of my childhood and most of my adult life in this town. Some of what's below has made national news and other just historical value to me.

It has a really nice bike path that winds all through town with one end of it literally at my driveway. The bridge you see here crosses the Cowskin creek. This is also the park where the Midwest Bicycle Fest is held.
IMG_6107.jpg

The street that I grew up on. What used to be a empty field at the end is where we made trails and jumps to race our banana seat bikes. My parents still live on this street.
Img_6087.jpg

This drive leads down to the old sewer plant and the dump where as a kid I would scavenge for bicycles and parts. I still did as an adult until they locked it up.
Img_6091.jpg

What's left of the old grain elevator. My Grandpa and Father each worked there at some point in their lives.
Img_6079.jpg

Our new "historic district". The old/historic part of town was wiped out by a tornado in 1999. THe tornado followed the railroad tracks right through the center of town.
Img_6077.jpg

The only thing remaining was the vault from the bank. Replicas of some of the old buildings have since been built. The bank was was built around the original vault. The barn-like building in the foreground is a working blacksmith shop.
img_6070.jpg

The tornado missed our house but destroyed my parents house and my Daughter's place of employment at the time. My parents rode it out in their crawl space, my daughter in the freezer of the fast food place she worked at.

This building used to be a Sonic Drive-Inn where as kids we would ride our bikes, park in the stall and have the carhops wait on us. In the background is the church I went to as a child.
IMG_6093.jpg

Grade school I attended.
IMG_6095.jpg

Near the main intersection in town. The railroad was recently elevated over the street where as before there was a pretty good hump you had to drive over.
IMG_6098.jpg

This building was a Vickers gas station where I'd fill up my 69 Mach I. The architecture of the building (hyperbolic paraboloid aka "batwing") was designed by the Vickers Petroleum Company. One of only a couple of these still around. This building survived the tornado while buildings all around it were destroyed.
IMG_6100.jpg

The "Big Ditch" built in the 50s keeps Wichita and my town from the flooding of the Arkansas river and the Cowskin creek that used to happen prior to it being built. In the background is the Debruce elevator that exploded several years ago. At one time this elevator (then owned by Garvey Grain) was the longest continuous elevator in the world (or something like that). The section right of the head house is different than that on the left as it's what was rebuilt after the explosion.
IMG_6106.jpg

The newly remodeled football and track stadium where I (poorly) ran track. In the background the Jr High I attended. What you see of it from this angle is all newer additions that weren't there when I attended.
IMG_6120.jpg

Dang Randy...if it weren't for the threat of being blown away and not being able to find a graphic design job I'd pack the family up and move there.

Thanks for such a cool tour. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Dang Randy...if it weren't for the threat of being blown away
Yeah our town has been hit by 2 tornadoes since I've lived here. Missed our house both times. I took these photos out my back door in 1993. It just missed us. Knocked out some windows and other minor damage.
91tornado1.jpg
91tornado2.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
The street that I grew up on. What used to be a empty field at the end is where we made trails and jumps to race our banana seat bikes. My parents still live on this street.
.jpg[/img]

Do we REALLY grow up!.....................Nice tour.. and history.

Are the burn out marks on the street where your parents live, yours? I've been to kansas and all i saw was corn fields lol. Thanks for the pics i wish i could ride with ya. but i'm here in INDY 8)

I remember as a kid in the early 60s my dad taking me and my sisters to the "Peach Capital" to pick a bushel or two of fresh peaches. What fun, riding on the hay wagon into the orchard, picking and eating those juicy peaches right off the tree, and picking more to take home. What fun. EXCEPT, all of that sticky peach juice that had run down your face and arms, and all that peach fuzz sticking to the juice, ITCHED so bad we would be totally MISERABLE and couldnt wait to get home and get a bath. But the next year, we wanted to go pick peaches again. Peaches in the store just are not the same. Thanks Locojoe, for the memory. I think I need to go take a bath, my arms are starting to ITCH.

Dan... I was gonna mention the peach fuzz in my post, but not sure if people would understand.

LOL, but yeah the fuzz sure made it miserable, especially on those days it was hot and muggy with no wind. Old man Cain told me the best way to prevent peach fuzz was to eat a fresh peach once an hour. Didnt work but at least we got to eat some peaches!!

One thing I like about where I live is it's just a little over a mile ride and I'm in the "country".
Camera phone video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4tOggKJK4 and photos from a ride last night.

Barns, birds, barbed wire and windmill.
IMG_0130.JPG

Neat old tow truck in the background that you can't see.
IMG_0110.JPG

Cows.
IMG_0141.JPG

Harvested corn field.
IMG_0099.JPG

Milo
IMG_0093.JPG

Soy beans (I believe) and birds.
IMG_0096.JPG

Oil well.
IMG_0135.JPG

"Hedge row" helping to save us from another dust bowl.
IMG_0105.JPG

Hedge apple.
IMG_0103.JPG

Railroad tracks the tornado followed in to town in 1999.
IMG_0133.JPG

Rode my Specialized hybrid.
IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Latest posts

Back