Patina/Faux-Tina Paint Job - What order to lay paint???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it goin everyone? Ok I have a question about the Patina/Faux-Tina paint process. I just got myself a Micargi Mustang GTS Stretch Cruiser and I'm going for the Patina look for the new paint job. I've got it down on how to do the process or wet sanding/painting etc. The only thing I'm a little stuck on is what colors do I need to lay down and in what order? I've seen a couple of truck forums where they lay a black primer, brown and then the top coat (blue). I want this to look as real as It can get. I decided I want to paint it a Sea Foam green/Turquoise as the top coat. So would I just paint a red primer first, then brown, then my top coat? Or would I do the Black first, then brown, then my top coat? Can anyone help me out?

I dont fake it. (yeah I do)

I strip the frame down to bare metal then hang it outside and spray it everday with salt water until its the perfect shade of RUST.

Then I clearcoat it.

I did my 20" ANTI-LOWRIDER like that...Everything was nice and shiney,except the frame was rustier than the Titanic.

I am anti-rust! Doing everything to eliminate it!

But if you must...
I'd suggest painting the lighter color first, then the darker color. Then sand it.

I would primer, then use the krylon rust-colored/textured paint in areas like weld joints and along the bottom bar, fender stays, etc, then paint the darker color, then the lighter color but in heavier coats as it will sand through quickly since light paints don't cover darker ones well. Then I'd let it cure for at least a week and wet-sand with some very fine-grit paper. Depending on the time you want to put in , I'd use rubbing compound on the borders to make the colors look more uniform at that point.(Uniform as in laid in the same thickness)

Thanks everyone for thr input! I'm going to practice it on some scrap metal this weekend to see how it turns out. I will post pics when I get started on my bike.

I have another question about painting. My bike is metallic blue with flame decals that are under the clar coat. I was just going to remove the decals, then just scuff up the paint and then start painting, but I'm going to be painting/sanding to get that Patina/aged/weathered look. So should I just sand down to bare metal and then paint, being that I will be sanding it in certain spots to get that weathered look. I dont want the blue to come show when sanding. Because I think I'm going to lay down the black primer first, then the red/brown oxide primer then the sea foam green top coat. Here's a pic of my bike that I will be painting...

IMG01813-20111024-1939.jpg

Latest posts

Back