BO15 Papa's ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was able to get the frame sanded and primed.
20200531_200611.jpg
20200531_202702.jpg

Now just need to figure out what parts I want to use.

I love the vibe of that frame!

Brian, I like #3 the best too. Do you have some long reach cruiser bars? Something that comes back lower and longer than the mini apes? That's the only part that seems a bit out of place IMO.

Something that would mimic your nice swooping 'under bar' on the frame.

I like the third option as well. Although something a bit curvier or with more reach would fit the swooping lines of the frame better

I like how that rise and reach mimics your under bar. Maybe with your welding skills, you could add some length to them to bring them back another , oh 5 " or so? Maybe a insert inside the existing handle bar end that would give some support for your weld ( I know there's a technical name for that, slipping my mind ) then weld on a straight tube piece of the same diameter as the handle bar butted up to the bar. @GuitarlCarl did one of these recently, maybe he can chime in.

What do the moon bars look like on there?

I like how that rise and reach mimics your under bar. Maybe with your welding skills, you could add some length to them to bring them back another , oh 5 " or so? Maybe a insert inside the existing handle bar end that would give some support for your weld ( I know there's a technical name for that, slipping my mind ) then weld on a straight tube piece of the same diameter as the handle bar butted up to the bar. @GuitarlCarl did one of these recently, maybe he can chime in.

What do the moon bars look like on there?
The moon bars didn't look right so I'll see about adding some onto the other set

... @GuitarlCarl did one of these recently, maybe he can chime in.
I've stretched a few sets of bars on past buildoff bikes. I usually have some tubing that fits nicely inside the handlebars. I cut a piece long enough to go 3 or 4 inches into each section and then grind some grooves into it. So I have my bars and the pieces I'm going to add as extensions, I slather some JB Weld onto the inner tubing and insert it into the whichever side it's the tightest on (all bars are subtly different) then I then I push it into the other half. Usually takes a few taps with a brass hammer. I try to keep factory edges together with my extension pieces and the bars. I also use pieces just a half inch shorter than my grips to hide the seam. The grooves hold the JB Weld and give it a bit of "tooth" to hold on to. I've been doing this for a few years now and never had a set let go.
bars 1.jpg

After doing a few I decided to accent the seam. I drilled out some thick brass washers I had and put slices of copper tubing in between each. It still has the tubing thru the inside and the JB Weld. Note the nice factory ends of the chrome bars, they often need just a little filing or countersinking to remove a bit of burr. I also like to use the type of bars that point straight back.
Hope this helps.

GC.

Carl, that is one purty set of h-bars you created there! Thanks for the detailed and important tip laden description! The brass and copper detailing....:inlove:

Latest posts

Back