BO15 Pandemic Road Missile.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years into my bicycle addiction and about a year into some pretty regular riding.
Scored a killer looking Murray missile last year for cheap and immediately thought it would make a great true rider for legacy trail. Lexingtons legacy trail is a beautiful paved path from town to the horse park and back. The section I like to do is about 12 miles each way. Something with just the right bars and comfy seat and an internal geared 3 or 5 speed back wheel and a few goodies to make the trip nicer would be cool.
The missile has wonderful original paint , a torn seat, and shabby wheels and hubs. Looks like the perfect bike to toss into the buildoff and make my version of the perfect day tripper for the trail. Here's what the plan is.
New wheels ( white maybe ?) Internal geared 3 or 5 speed , frame mounted shifter
New tires maybe a bit wider , maybe white letters or redlines , something kinda Racey
Comforterable bars. I'm thinking I have a set of real low rise apes off of an old girls banana bike. Gonna see what's the most comfy
Banana seat cause I like the vibe and how they feel.
Maybe a headlight , maybe a bag for my car keys and phone etc.
Not gonna reinvent the wheel bit hope to improve on a neat old classic, have fun in the buildoff , create a nice muscle/race inspired rider , then log some real miles on this one. Here we go!
FB_IMG_1568912081526.jpg

Been sidetracked this winter mocking up the "aeroliner ". A fictional concept car /truck I've wanted to do for over a decade. Found the right chassis and had a bay open in the garage so it's time. These old custom bikes are gonna look good in the bed of this thing. Chassis is finished now with a 355 , manual shift auto transition , and air rear suspension. The vehicle will be an open engine , divided cabin two seat flatbed the final body will be steel tubing skinned in bare aluminum with copper rivets. Off topic just thought some in this group might appreciate.
IMG_20200308_181644445.jpg
IMG_20200308_181622515.jpg

HOLY COW!!! That aeroline concept is crackin!!!!! Keep us updated!!!!
Oh yeah, and the bike too. :D

Stole away about an hour after finishing with my best girl. Onto the stand and just peeking at how a low riding banana seat will work and a headlight housed in a fender mounted Mickey Thompson bullet centercap should add to the Racey look and get me home safe after the streetlights come on.
IMG_20200502_194231779.jpg
IMG_20200502_180025896.jpg

Trying to decide now which of two choices to enter into class 2 just to be able to enter another bike !
Have an old huffy ( Camaro?) That's just begging to become a nice trail bashing klunker. OR "Lucenda". An old custom bike I bought as is out of a barn pile rumored to have been built quite a while back and in need of a total redo and restyle. But she has some potential. Can't decide which one to go for. .....
FB_IMG_1568912194942.jpg
FB_IMG_1568912002978.jpg

Thinking of just using some little strut bars instead of a sissy bar. Get that nana down low

Killer stance. What cool light is that?

Now to decide on white or black rims. The originals are white so I'm leaning toward a white three speed wheelset with Racey blackwall white letters. Black banana seat should work well , maybe a shorty 20 incher.

the final body will be steel tubing skinned in bare aluminum with copper rivets. View attachment 118232
The Aeroliner looks a bit Winnebago-ish now with the white panels.
So copper, aluminum, steel for the body. add a little moisture and you get some serious corrosion or galvanic reaction. Dissimilar metals like to attack each other with water as the fuel. Consider some sort of insulators between the metals so all that work doesn't disintegrate within a couple years. There is an interesting book on the topic: Rust: The Longest War by Jonathan Waldman

Latest posts

Back