PAINT YOUR HEADBADGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need to practice more

rollfastpainted.jpg

Nice examples and How To.
I won the RRB 007 badge and was wondering how to paint it.

In fine and resto work Ive come to be a believer in the adage,' use a scraper made of a softer substance than the base you are working on'. For steel I often use brass scrapers, and any brass is softer, but for brass or aluminum there are enough different grades that you can use a soft brass on harder brass, etc. Making the scrapers is easy enough out of scrap stock, but an easy brass one is a 30-06, or similar, empty cartridge case. It is long enough to give you a good grip and the neck can be easily flattened and shaped for what you are doing.
The credit card thing has also worked for me, but the edge rounds off quickly, so keep rotating the card when it stops doing what you want.
BTW, it is always better to start with too soft a scraper than too hard a one! You can always escalate your attack, but scratching the base will cause wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Another way to do it without scraping would be to use liquid mask from the hobby shop. Paint it on, cut out the parts you want to paint and then peel it off after!

Nice work by the way!

How about this one for my BO7 bike Flex-Liner 7

WP_000106.jpg

Here it is installed on my RRBBO7 Page 100 update.

IMG_7979.jpg

I expect that the Testors paint pens do an adequate job, but the absolute best result will be gotten using a fine artist tool called a "Flow Pencil." At first glance, the device might be mistaken for an airbrush. However, the flow pencil dispenses the paint rather than sprays it. Because the paint is contained in a reservoir cup, any color can be used...not just the ones Testors chooses to market. The biggest drawback? They ain't cheap!

Latest posts

Back