PAINT YOUR HEADBADGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've painted a few badges in the past with mixed results. I recently painted a Speedway badge and it came out okay. I used a tip off this forum and polished it when it was dry...paint and all...with toothpaste. Wow! It still isn't a "mint factory restoration", but it looks good enough for my bikes. Here it is...
paint.jpg

I had two of these Speedway badges, and I'll show you how I painted it on the second one. This is how it looked when I took it off the bike.
paint01-1.jpg

I used a weak solution of muriatic acid to clean the worst off of it, then polished it with Tarnite metal polish. You can use muriatic acid on brass badges but don't use it on aluminum. Here it is next to the first one I did.
paint02.jpg

For paint, I used Testors Paint Markers. They come in black, white, red, blue, yellow, and green. The paint is enamel and it is really thinned, which is why it works for the badges. You can get them at Hobby Lobby, or WalMart.
paint03.jpg

The tip has a spring in it and to get more paint you push the tip down on your blotter and hold it there for a second and the runny paint comes out.
paint04.jpg

I get the tip real wet with paint and put it on there. I just dabbed it on and moved over and did it again. Dabbing seems to work better than brushing. It dries too quick and brushing leaves brush marks, with the felt tip at least. It looks like you're putting way too much paint on it, but it's half thinner and shrinks down when it dries. Here's the red...
paint05.jpg

The red and the white are on. I got kinda sloppy with the white. You want to make sure it gets in every corner and if it goes over the edge that's okay. The finished badge is on the left.
paint06.jpg

After the paint is dry...enamel dries slowly, especially black...I used an Xacto knife with a #11 blade to carefully scrape the excess off. I used a fine sharpening stone to dull the blade completely. It will still scratch it faintly but is not noticable when you are finished.
paint07.jpg

paint08.jpg

I then used a small brush to remove the paint chips.
paint09.jpg

paint10.jpg

I did the black last. I hate painting with black paint. Slopped it on and covered the lettering but stayed clear of the red and white areas that are finished.
paint11.jpg

I did the fine border lines in black too, then scraped it all off when it dried. I went back and touched up a couple of small spots where I got too wild with the knife. I then let it dry for a couple of days and polished the heck out of it with a piece of flannel sheet and Colgate toothpaste. The toothpaste smoothed over and hid a lot of my screwups. Finished. My method isn't that great...yet. Hopefully some clever ratrodder will give it a try, find some better ways to do it and share them with us. B607
paint12.jpg

Re: Paint Your Badge

NICE!

How about scraping with the back side of the X-Acto blade so you dont have to dull a good one.

An old credit card cut to a point makes a fine paint scraper too.

Re: Paint Your Badge

MagicRat said:
NICE!

How about scraping with the back side of the X-Acto blade so you dont have to dull a good one.

An old credit card cut to a point makes a fine paint scraper too.

Back of the Xacto would be brutal. The credit card, though....hmmmm.... :idea: Thanks! B607

How were badges painted originally? Did they have adhesive, precisely cut masking patterns, or was something like this done? Does anybody happen to know? I'm curious... I've seen JCH badges and other badges form the late 50's and onwards that were completely flat (no recessed areas on the badge at all) and seem to be decorated only with sprayed paint.

Unchained...I would love to know myself how it was done. My way is primitive and has lots of room for improvement. We need someone who has worked in that industry to clue us in. B607

I don't know for a fact, but I have always thought they were silk screened. Like printing T-shirts.

yeah my guess is they were painted using a form of silk screening, and basically the design is first silk screened on a sheet of metal, then a rubber pad picks it up and stamps it onto the peice, thus you can have more than one color and the design can be set in, like that headbadge. :mrgreen: i saw them do it on the discovery show, howitsmade, with lures. just kinda clicked. might be right, i dunno.

i am very impressed wish i had read this when i was painting the brake arm on my last bike

.... Yeah. That'll do...
What! Are you kidding? Those are beautiful!!! -- Not to mention the great photography! Great tutorial!!!

Those markers have got me out of (and into :roll: ) many a bind.

Any tips on getting my rear wheel on straight? :D

Yeah, that was very helpful! I've been thinking about repainting a hawthorne head badge but didn't really know the best way to go about it. Thanks!

Great thread. I tried spraypaint, brushes, and finally found the Testors on the Liberty headbadge. By far the best results...
T

Very creative guys, i like it. But what about on old Schwinn headbadges at the bottom there is very small writing. I think it says Chicago, or something like that. Is that painted on? I don't have access to my headbadge on my Schwinn resto, but it needs some help with the white field area.

i've been experimenting with painting the badges. kind of cheating since i painted it while it was still covered by the vinyl.

westernflyerround.jpg

Latest posts

Back