paint sprayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start painting my own frame. I know I can use the spray cans but I'm under the impression I can have a better result with a paint sprayer. There's all sort of things available out there and I don't know what to look for. If that can help I have a compressor. What do you recommend and what are you using?

If you dont have a air compressor, or money to buy a compressor, hose, filters, paint gun, etc , most auto parts and hobby stores have touch up guns with their own aerosal cans. It comes as a kit with a glass jar, lid and sprayer. It cost less than $40 for the kit here and $4.95 each for the sprayers. I usually paint and clearcoat and sometimes can paint a second bike with the aerosal can. You do use automotive paint in the kit.

one of the more important aspects of spraying is having a compressor with a big enough tank. I have a 38 gal. tank and it is probably the minimum size to use.
I have a Devilibis gun that a neighbor gave me years ago and as long as I keep it clean it sprays great.

I've used harbor freight spray guns with no problems. :D
DSC02857.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

glow-dark-pic.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

but like gratter said having a big compressor is nice to have.

I was kinda curous about the colors on the Scwinn American and the single speed road bike with the white tires. I was thinking about painting a project an orange/copper color. What did you use?

No Talent Clown said:
I was kinda curous about the colors on the Scwinn American and the single speed road bike with the white tires. I was thinking about painting a project an orange/copper color. What did you use?
on the schwinn american i used a green basecoat and house of kolor tangerine kandy over it. and the single spee bike is a silver base coat with house of kolor tangerine kandy.

im with jalopyjimmie13 and chimichanga get a harbor freight hvlp gun....theyre cheap work well and if you forget to clean them its not a big deal since you can get another for the price of luch at a burger joint. i would however suggest you get the touch up gun(hvlp as well) since it has a 1.0 needle itll lay down better than the full size one with a 1.4 needle(im assuming you havent painted before) so less chance of runs if you linger in one spot to long....but just be aware....using a gun wont guarantee a good job.....it can make it easier to mess up real fast....youll need to set the gun up correctly, get a good overlap, distance, swing speed,not heel and then there is the prep work that goes into it BEFORE the color comes into the picture....

my suggestion pick up the h.f.gun, get some cheap(if youre in a non regulated area get lacquer paint to practice!) paint start practicing on paper to get a 50/50 overlap(hold it up to a light and see if its 50/50 or is tiger striped) and go from there....lots here paint so if anything comes up just ask there alot who can help
good luck and have have fun!

I use a model paint gun set up it has a small compessor an paint isnt $80 bucks a gallon but this will slso be my first bike I've painted so I'll let you know how it works but it works great on my R.C toys

I dont think Id 'want' to paint a bike with my old Pasche (sp?) airbrush, but could probably do it; probably wouldnt have to worry about runs too much, just keep moving. Lots of light coats, not unlike a spraycan, and the paint gets there.

Latest posts

Back