@@ Paint it Black @@ June 7 See Daylight for the 1st time @@

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: @@ Paint it Black @@ May 18 Update Fenders

Very nice :!:

Re: @@ Paint it Black @@ May 24 Update Front End

Got the Front fender mounted and the fender brace sanded and polished. Mounted the wheel temporarily in order to check clearances. I need to take it back apart and move a few things around so that it rolls in the center of the fender but i will do that at the end. If I did my calculations right when I mount the rear fender I hope to not have to cut any relief notches in the fender, but we shall see.

FW1.jpg

FW2.jpg

Sweet!
I have a pair of Hanks just like those. I am gonna have to test them on Flexliner.

Might I ask about the "Blackout" cups? Is this a item someone sells or are they powder coated? Please forgive my obvious ignorance! :roll:
Bike looks fantastic by the way! Your tire wheel combo is awesome!!

Blackout parts were made for war time bikes when nickel and chrome were reserved for tanks and other wartime necessities. War period bikes were produced in much lower quantities and if my info was correct only by a select few manufacturers, one of which was Columbia/Westfield. Most "blackout" components were made this way using a process called "Parkerizing". It gives the finish a slight bluish color and the idea was that it would protect the parts from rust without having them plated. I don't know the chemical process that it requires but I can say the finish is very similar to anodizing.

Oneuglybike said:
Might I ask about the "Blackout" cups? Is this a item someone sells or are they powder coated? Please forgive my obvious ignorance! :roll:
Bike looks fantastic by the way! Your tire wheel combo is awesome!!

Interesting Joe.

...is Parkerizing the same as gun blueing? Sounds like it might be, since there was a gun manufacturer in my town (Meriden), named Parker, and maybe that's where the process started?

Joe, as usual I'm reading every update practically holding my breath for what's coming next!

This build is looking awesome. It's really similar to what I want to do for my next bike. The gloss black and polished wheels, the red stripe slicks... yeah.

The inner red fenders are a touch of simple genius. Love that look. You might be starting a trend (Electra, are you watching? I know you are!)

Can't wait to see it in person. Best of luck in the Build Off too!

BTW info about Parkerizing is found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

--Rob

Wow Joe, looks REAL nice! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: @@ Paint it Black @@ June 2 Update Rear End @@

Been a couple of weeks since my last update. Out of town with end of school year camps. Had to repaint the rear fender as I dropped and chipped the duck bill. Paint dried and then wet sanded and buffed. Got it mocked into the frame to double check clearances. I need about another 1/8 of an inch to avoid notching the fenders for the chain. Going to try a slight bending to see if I can avoid that. No more time for today. Enjoy the pics!

Assembly1.jpg

Assembly2.jpg

Gorgeous 8) 8)

Paint looks great!
Love the redline Hanks (that is what I am using).
Also think the triple ducktail fender is very cool.

man that is an amazing looking black glass paint job!! The fenders are insanely awesome too. Rock It! :wink:

Never seen a rear fender done like that, it is awesome!

coming out great so far Joe.

Absolutely stellar! Deeeep black is bad azz, and those touches of red are perfect! I love the curve on the down tube and seat tube. One of my favorite frames. I hear you about the wet sand & polish... I'll be starting that process very soon. It makes all the difference in the world though which is obvious in your build. Looking forward to more.

Re: @@ Paint it Black @@ June 6 Major Strides!! @@

Got some work done today as my son was home from school sick.

**Notched the guard for the chain
**Fit the center stand - had to notch that as well to give fender clearance.
**Fit the chainguard - Did not consider this guard as I thought I sold it. So I had to fit it and modify and well you know ;-))
**Straightened out the front fender

All parts are aligned and have proper clearance. No rubbing or any other issues.

Still waiting on the seat ;-((

CGuard1.jpg

CGuard2.jpg

CGuard3.jpg

CGuard4.jpg

CGuard5.jpg

Latest posts

Back