Paint advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this on several bikes. I have not got hardener in the paint but the clear coat had hardener and was in an aerosol can. However when I go this route I plan on spending at least $100. Not cheap but the paint lasts. Disappointing to do all the work to have chipped up paint from assembly.

I just got the Montana paint the other day and grabbed a can of their Varnish which has a UV protection but I doubt it has a hardener. Going to visit a body shop to see if I can get some mixed up. For the bike I'm building, its running a front derailleur, so last thing I want is for installation of that to ruin my paint job.

While on the topic of paint, I was Googling some information about clear coating over water slide decals and I found this gem. You cant make this stuff up. "I had the bike painted real nice. I decided to try and bake the paint in my car to dry. I thought it had dried enough already, but wanted to make sure I got it hard. Well, that did not work out so good as the frame stuck to the car interior ruining the paint"
Thought I share for a laugh...

While on the topic of paint, I was Googling some information about clear coating over water slide decals and I found this gem. You cant make this stuff up. "I had the bike painted real nice. I decided to try and bake the paint in my car to dry. I thought it had dried enough already, but wanted to make sure I got it hard. Well, that did not work out so good as the frame stuck to the car interior ruining the paint"
Thought I share for a laugh...

I tried to fit my frame in the oven to bake it... wouldnt fit. ha hah

Here is my final paint, pre clear coat

48E3FA15-955A-4C66-AE28-94F72B821732.jpeg
FA2FFBE0-EF27-4839-91A9-454C95A1931C.jpeg
AAB642BA-224F-40C3-801C-FD2B7CA5440B.jpeg
63FBE8CE-E5DF-4014-8153-B39FCE4B0027.jpeg

Latest posts

Back