Paint advice

May 22, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this on several bikes. I have not got hardener in the paint but the clear coat had hardener and was in an aerosol can. However when I go this route I plan on spending at least $100. Not cheap but the paint lasts. Disappointing to do all the work to have chipped up paint from assembly.
I just got the Montana paint the other day and grabbed a can of their Varnish which has a UV protection but I doubt it has a hardener. Going to visit a body shop to see if I can get some mixed up. For the bike I'm building, its running a front derailleur, so last thing I want is for installation of that to ruin my paint job.

May 22, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SprayMax 2K has a hardener with the money saved you can buy a good mask . Highly recommended .

Yep. A bit of searching in the google machine and I found that same one. Saw a 2 pack for $40. Figure two cans will give me 3 coats and I can return the Montana Varnish. Def buying a good spray mask. No messing around with fumes for this dude.

Jun 28, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the topic of paint, I was Googling some information about clear coating over water slide decals and I found this gem. You cant make this stuff up. "I had the bike painted real nice. I decided to try and bake the paint in my car to dry. I thought it had dried enough already, but wanted to make sure I got it hard. Well, that did not work out so good as the frame stuck to the car interior ruining the paint"
Thought I share for a laugh...

May 22, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the topic of paint, I was Googling some information about clear coating over water slide decals and I found this gem. You cant make this stuff up. "I had the bike painted real nice. I decided to try and bake the paint in my car to dry. I thought it had dried enough already, but wanted to make sure I got it hard. Well, that did not work out so good as the frame stuck to the car interior ruining the paint"
Thought I share for a laugh...
I tried to fit my frame in the oven to bake it... wouldnt fit. ha hah

Reactions: Johnny Wolf