Otasco Flying O Lancer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this Murray built beauty for sale a few months ago, a version of the Spaceliner I'd never seen.
Here's how I got it.

and after a bit of tweaking...relaced the wheels with stainless steel spokes, a SA 3 speed hub, Quick Brick whites, red chain, new bars and grips, and left the rear rack off. I felt it "disturbed" the look/ flow of the frame.
Squeezing 26x2.125's where 1.75's were and not modding or removing the fenders is always a chore, but the look is always worth it.
A 1964 model.

Last edited:
Good Post, And SWEET Bike.
For those that arent yet aware or had a hard time finding ANY info on them [cause I sure did..]

Heres my Custom '69 Murray Flying-O and a little Info :p
10411046_10205350713436992_4212133203095634365_n_zpsc14ba16f.jpg

1533941_10205350714717024_6749426183931852508_n_zpsdec4c7b3.jpg

Ohio Mfg. company Lawerenceburg TN USA 07-76
Murray Built Bikes they sold Through Otasco for a time.Which Had its own verson of a Otasco Headbadge, and the Bikes Built FROM Otasco had the original Vintage style, Often lacing the "O" between the wings logo with the same color as the bike when sold on the floor.
Otasco (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) was a retail chain specializing in auto parts and appliances based in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898–1939), Maurice (1891–1970), and Herman (1889–1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Otasco store in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. The company based its business on offering its products on credit. In 1960, the McCrory Corporation bought the company, while retaining the Sanditen brothers. In 1968, the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984, the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America. In 1988, the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.
Currently, an Otasco store is documented as a member of the Beaver, Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce. Borger, Texas still has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otasco

Last edited:
Here is my 63' Lancer, well how it looked when I rescued it.

Presently it is completely broken down and in the process of rust removal and paint prep.

farm bike.jpg

here it is, right before breaking it down, the original rear wheel was driven over and destroyed, so I have a wheel off a 65 spaceliner deluxe for it. There is a lot of work in its future.
Rear smaller.jpg

cool, it is on the way, along with new pedals, handlbar and a couple other small items. Actually an awesome deal because the shipping was the same for all the parts, thereby reducing the individual prices.

Cool ride, and you have a complete fender ornament.
I'm working on a replica, just gotta figure out how to make the little red jewel.

Falstaff, if you are working on a replica, let me know, I am missing the entire air foil jet. I have been looking for one, so far to no avail.

As for the red jewel, it could be cast and poured out of acrylic, or shaped with a dremel out of an old taillight lens from a wrecking yard.

Falstaff, if you are working on a replica, let me know, I am missing the entire air foil jet. I have been looking for one, so far to no avail.

As for the red jewel, it could be cast and poured out of acrylic, or shaped with a dremel out of an old taillight lens from a wrecking yard.

I bought an astroflite from another member here, it has the jet I'm still working on making a mold of. When I get it finished I'll let you know, I'm hoping to find decent pics of the jewel so I know what shape it is to make those too.
I figure if I make molds of both parts there will be a few people who need them, so far you make the third person. Hopefully I'll have a good jet mold within a month.

that would be nice.

here is a photo of the jewel, in the air foil
AstroFlite front fender red jewel 004.JPG

so far the only one I have found, is missing the jewel, and it is still on a bike, in Scottsdale AZ, that I wouldn't pay 125 dollars for, or spend 4 days on a round trip drive to get it.

Great pics, I can use them as reference. Thanks.
Soon as I get some replicas made I'll let you know.

well, my Lancer is in the powder coat shop, getting the frame, forks, tank and rack deck done. with all the rust I had on everything, sandblasting was the way to go. I gave up on matching the flamboyant red color that was original, and just went to a stock red. I am supposed to get the parts back at the end of this week.

I spent today rebuilding my hubs and removing the surface rust from the rims, fenders, rack struts and front truss rod. I have all of my parts together, original and replacement, except my handlebars and seat post, they come in this week also.

If everything goes well, I will have it together and riding by Saturday night.

The wheelset looks pretty good, compared to what it was. rusty rim.jpg rusty rim 2.jpg clean rim.jpg clean rim 2.jpg wheel.jpg wheels.jpg

Latest posts

Back