(ORBO) Heavy Duti Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will have to check out that der hanger on Amazon. Maybe next winter upgrade Mesa Büggie to a 1 x 7 or 8. Have an old XT rear der at home, 7 spd freewheel, thumbie shifter....now you've got me thinking! Looks like you are making progress towards your geared klunker! Rat on!

I'm thinking if I can swap axles and leave the spacers off. Never swapped or lubed a freewheel hub - looks like I have to pull the cassette to swap axles. Is that correct?

If you lock two nuts together on the freewheel side of the axle and just undo the other side you can sometimes just manage to pull the axle through. If the hub bearing behind the freewheel is caged and in good shape just grease it as best you can with a screwdriver and install the new axle the same way.

Luke.

If your rear hub is a regular Shimano Hyperglide-style freehub, you can complete the axle swap without pulling the cassette. be careful, though, as the bearings are totally loose---no retainer cage, just grease and balls. You can probably pull off a spacer on the NDS of the hub, but you'll need to re-dish the wheel if you do. If you're pulling off more than 5mm of spacing from the NDS, you can count on the dish being too dramatic for a strong rear wheel. And, if you do manage to pull off 5mm of spacing, you'll be at 130mm and you'll still need to spread the CHD's rear-end another 20mm to get it to fit.

All of this is totally workable, and there are other kludges out there to help you lose spacing from the hub... but no matter how you do it, you're gonna need to spread and re-space that rear triangle.

Moved rear axle - original seems too short and don't have same thread as donor axle so will need to find other nuts if I use it...
rear wheel 1.JPG
rear wheel 2.JPG
rear wheel 3.JPG
rear wheel 4.JPG
Donor axle 1.JPG
donor axle 2.JPG

Pretty much demolished my junk donor hub - unable to remove the shaft as freewheel kept it trapped.
Looking around and saw rest of china clone Shimano coaster brake guts that I robbed the bearings from to mod my coaster for my Huffy Premier. The axle is JUST what I need !
Donor CB axle 1.JPG

And it was $0. :banana:

I've needed to remove a freewheel a few times but have no tool, plus there are different sizes... so I improvised. I found a brass T fitting that I could slide over the axle and pound into the notches inside the freewheel, grab it with a big wrench bingo freewheel free. Got a box of old plumbing parts lying around?

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Ya I got no "fancy tool" for the free wheel either. Tried the tap in the little holes with a screwdriver blade and hammer method - nothing. :(
The hub is pretty busted up now so I'm prob gonna take the old "smoke wrench" to it later just to pull the axle - might come in handy someday if I dont mess it up. Sometimes a cutting torch is good therapy. :grin:

The axle from the Chinese CB seems to fit fine may be too long which is better than too short. I have the chain busted and gonna test fit it for alignment this pm.

The axle from the Chinese CB seems to fit fine may be too long which is better than too short. I have the chain busted and gonna test fit it for alignment this pm.
My dad used to use a Norwegian saying that meant "you can always do something about the sausage that's too long"....Good luck on the fitment for the drivetrain!

Bicycle808,
You were right about the spacers and wheel center. The "new" axle is long enough I put em back on.
Widen drop outs with car jack.
widen dropouts 1.JPG

Fit rear wheel with used coaster brake axle.
widen dropouts 2.JPG

Mock up alignment of rear wheel and chainline.
widen dropouts 3.JPG
widen dropouts 4.JPG
widen dropouts 5.JPG

Have to fit derailleur next.

Looking good!
How does it feel with the front suspension forks on there? I know you are not riding yet, but sometimes you just get a 'feel' for things as you roll around...

Luke.
Tightened the seat and moved the bars up to the top (gained almost an inch) bike feels really good.
Much more comfortable than the original Rocket 3 frame which had a crank position that just felt weird and real cramped to me.

Latest posts

Back